Looking for a 6 volt battery

Den41Buick

I am looking for a better than average 6 volt car battery. The last one I purchased in 2011 form Interstate is now failing. I am looking for one with good crank, but is also must fit inside my battery carrier. I don not believe an Optima battery would work. Any suggestions? Thanks

Unless you need a cosmetic match for the original the Optima is your best bet. Look for the best price at Amazon including free shipping. It is powerful but small and should fit most any application, you will most likely have to shim out your battery box with wood to keep it from moving around. I just put one in a 34 Packard and built a new box around it the size of the original battery, works great.

post-51036-143142193676_thumb.jpg

A few weeks ago, I visited a shop and was shown a 6V Optima battery that was still in service after 15 years. No joke.

In addition, I have seen people hide the Optima battery in a covered plastic box that looks just like a regular battery. Even has the fill caps on the top like original. The Optima fits inside diagonally.

Ron

Edited by rsb (see edit history)

Guest Commodore
A few weeks ago, I visited a shop and was shown a 6V Optima battery that was still in service after 15 years. No joke.

In addition, I have seen people hide the Optima battery in a covered plastic box that looks just like a regular battery. Even has the fill caps on the top like original. The Optima fits inside diagonally.

Ron

The people that offer this covered plastic box is Quail Services. See link below.

http://quailservices.com/index.html

i use two 6 volt batteries in parallel in my 1931 Cad V12, 1931 packard and 1934 Packard V12. maintains 6 volts but doubles cranking amps. works great , no problem with generator in terms of charging. You can make a case to fit both and even an old large 6 volt case to put them in. mine have battery boxes so the battery is not open to view anyway.

connecting_parallel.gif