1955 Steering Column Paint

packick

Now that everything mechanically is working (knock on wood), I am turning my attention to the interior of the car.

I have a 1955 Century with maroon and gray interior. When I restored the firewall in the engine compartment last winter, I noticed that the steering column underneath the grease was a teal or turquoise color. I cleaned the grease off of it and left it as that color. Inside the cabin of the car, I notice that under the black paint on the steering column there is also teal-colored paint.

What color is the steering column in the interior of the car supposed to be? Teal/turquoise? Black? Depends upon the interior's color?

Thanks.

It depends on your interior color. It seems strange that just the column would have been swapped, but even more unlikely that you would have had a turquoise column.

With that said, it is a pain in the butt to pull the column. A lot of wires get pulled under the dash, and if the vent and other sheet metal on the driver's side has never come off, it can be a chore to separate the metal underhood parts from the firewall if the original pookie is in place.

Mike et. al.:

I have no intention of removing the steering column. If, as Bulldog says, the column is supposed to be the same color as the lower dash, and since there is black paint on top of turquoise on my column, and my dash is black, I am now wondering if it was originally painted black over a base of turquoise???

I think the solution would be looking up the interior color code in a Color and Fabric Showroom album. A similar problem I am having in that alot of the interior of my car was repainted a darker green. There are still some small areas that weren't painted . I think that was the original color. What is your interior code? Mine is 473.

• 3 weeks later...

Joe and Paul, I found another interior chart that listed 462 as charcoal and gray. This could be early/late car thing. If the interior was all grayish, the turquoise column and dash would work. Joe, did the car come Cherokee red and Dover white?

"B":

Per the color code on my plaque is BSS. (See the Thread 1955 Century Paint Code Mystery). That says the car has a Dover White top and a Cherokee Red middle AND bottom. But my car looks like it has always been Dover White Top, Cherokee Red middle, and Dover White bottom. As the referenced Thread says there was an eBay car for sale with the exact same issue. But who knows. The interior is maroon and gray and is original.

There is always the possibility the column was painted at some time. Most of the painted interior trim in my car was repainted another color green. The trim around the rear vent windows(see back seat photo) and some spots here and there show Nile green, which I painted the roof. Started noticing some overspray under the dash. That's what tipped me off to the respray. Any overspray anywhere?

I guess some things will be a mystery... Consider this.... When your car was being built, they didn't have a white column, so they grabbed up a turquoise one, and since the bottom is in the engine compartment, didn't paint it all for whatever reason..... I guess some things will just never be known......

Is your car an early car or a late car? And, as asked in the paint code question...Are your door sides painted one color or does the two-tone carry around?

'B':

I don't understand your question, "Are your door sides painted one color or does the two-tone carry around?" If you mean the door jambs they are Cherokee Red. Otherwise the picture on my salutation shows the two-tone color. And I have noticed zero overspray under the dash.

Edited by packick
Carriage return only works in Edit mode. (see edit history)

I would say yes, it was added later.... There are folks on here that know much more than I do. As far as I know, though, Buick always 'turned the corner' with the 2 or 3 tone cars.

They did it both ways. I have 2 cars 55-63, both made in Arlington Tx and both made in July. One (code BTB) has everything divided; the other (code PBP) has only the door skins lower color and the 'B' pillar lower color...I did my CVT that way since I had the doors on the car when I painted and it was easier that way.

Willie

Willie, would you say the rule Buick used is..."There is no rule." What do you think about the steering wheel?

All of my cars (63-63-66C) have the steering column jacket and steering wheel matching the lower dash color... also parts cars (63-46R). Who knows what the factory had to do to get the cars out...and who knows what looks original, was originally changed in 1962 :).

Willie