Looking for year of this photo

Guest Tom N.

Guest Tom N.

This image is cropped from a photo of downtown Watsonville, California, taken between around 1920 and 1930 (I think). I'm trying to identify the year of the photo from the years of the cars in the photo. Can anyone help? Please just let me know what year you think this photo was taken.

If this works, I have 4 other similar photos I will post. This is to help the local historical archive to identify the years of some of their photos.

Thanks,

Tom N.

post-95736-143142135234_thumb.jpg

As expected probably more than half the cars are Ford Models Ts of various years but the most recent car I see there is the 1927 Buick - fourth from left. 9th from left is a Chevrolet of either 1926 or 1927. Third from left is an early 1920s Hudson.

On a second look maybe the car upper just right of centre against the kerb might be a Ford Model A but I don't think so.

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like most of the Fords have a low radiator. The Hudson does not seem to have drum headlights which would put it at '23, Buick had that radiator starting in '24. The Chevy looks to be a '24. Regards, John

Fourth from left is a 1924 or 1925 Buick just becuse of the licens bracket in the middle of the head lights,(1926 are the last year with divided window and the first with licens bracket below the head lights,exept from the Canadian built 1924-1925 Buicks that had that licens bracket below earlier than US built cars)

Leif in Sweden.

If the picture was taken in California, then the year would be 1925 or 1926 based on the license plate design. These two years have the state name vertical in the center. The 1925 plate was yellow and the 1926 plate was a blue. The plates on the cars seem darker than yellow, so my vote is 1926, assuming that the picture was taken in California.

Grandpa

post-52807-143142135421_thumb.jpg

post-52807-143142135422_thumb.jpg

post-52807-143142135424_thumb.jpg

Guest Tom N.

Thank you all for your replies. It looks like the newest car is a 1927 and that license plate that Grandpa pointed out is definitely 1926 because it has white lettering instead of black. I will assume that the owners didn't have to change license plates every year (if someone knows otherwise, please let me know). If they DID have to change plates every year then it's probably 1926. But I'm going with 1927 unless someone comes up with some other ideas. --Tom N.

An observation of the picture - - -

The picture could have been taken late in 1926, as most of the people seem to have warm clothing and some of the open cars have the side curtains attached. Thus, it is possible that a newly introduced 1927 auto could be pictured.

Guest Tom N.

I think you nailed it, Grandpa. It's either late 1926 or early 1927, depending on what time of year new plates were required. I'm going with 1926 now. Thanks for your help. --Tom N.

The Chevy is a 1925 so it fits with a 1926 date for the photo. The 8th car intrigues me. It has the lower, more rounded roof line of a later (1928-1929) car -- must have been a couple of years ahead of the styling curve. Any idea what it is?

By the way, Tom N, thanks for posting this really interesting old photograph.

Don

Guest Tom N.

It's Main Street, looking south. I believe the cross street you see is E. Lake Ave. When it crosses Main it becomes W. Lake Ave. Many years ago it was Fourth St. but I don't remember when that change took place.

Guest prs519

I thought 1926 looked like the latest average, realizing also that all of the cars might be far from "new". The car along the curb, though, makes me think 1927 or even 1928, possibly a Whippet.