1925 Touring Car running board step plate locations

MikeC5

I don't have plates on my '25 Mike, BUT, beware of other folks measurements, as the plates could have been placed on the car by someone else who thought they knew where they go, or felt "this is the place" where they go. Sort of like buying shoes. I like my neighbor but I wouldn't let him pick out my sneakers............... My SUGGESTION is to step in a puddle of water, then without dwelling on your foot placement now; get in your car as you feel it natural where your foot is located on the running board. THAT is where you put your step plate. Do this at each door. Mark with chalk before the water dries. Hope this helps.

As usual, Pete has made a good practical suggestion. On my car, it would seem that the original step plates have been fitted to new running boards and as a consequence they are not in quite the same place one side compared to the other.

Mine have been fitted with cross head screws which look wrong and I will be changing them when I correct the position of the step plates on some replacement running board material which I presume would be ribbed rubber matting?

Ray

Someone can correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know these plates would have been purchased after the sale and would have been installed by either a service dept at dealer of purchase or an outside supplier, my point is that I doubt you will find two step plates mounted in the exact same spot.

Ray....your '27series would (I believe) use gray linoleum matting for the running boards and front floor boards . Earlier DB's used brown linoleum (not sure what year it changed).

That's interesting. I wonder if this would apply to Budd bodies only or also adopted by Richards/Holden Australian coachbuilders?

Ray.

Step plates and kick plates were a popular accessory for all cars in Aust back in the Roaring 20s

Agreed... but what material did the coachbuilders use for the running boards; assuming the cars were imported without running boards? Mine is ribbed rubber matting but lino was used in the States.

Ray.

• 2 weeks later...
My running boards just have black ridged rubber on them, with the ridges running fore and aft.

RJ

Both our cars have the same rubber covering on their running boards. I see no problem with this as there are so many differences with our coachbuilt cars when compared with their transatlantic cousins.

Ray.