Info Needed

D-a-n-i-e-l

Ok the only re-pinning that needs to be done to use a 88 engine harness on a 89 is the vss wires need to be added to the ecm harness. these are purple to B9; yellow to B10; and brown from BCM to B11. The purple and yellow wires are already in the loom that comes through the firewall and only have to be removed from the large rectangle plug and repined to the specified positions. The brown wire is already in the 89 wire harness and would only have to be pulled from the old position in the original 89 harness and added to the 88 harness.

I love reading these posts. I have no understanding of what they are talking about but I love listening to them. I read every one. It is kind of like listening to 2 French girls converse in French. You know it is interesting and yet I have no clue. Keep it up guys! Someone needs to understand how this stuff works. Maybe I should write a book, Reatta For Dummies.

I'm glad others find these things interesting. I sometimes feel bad when I get into a highly technical post/thread that likely only a handful of other forum participants can readily follow.

I am frequently guilty of talking in jargon that relates to the inner workings of the vehicle electronics, and only later realize how some of these posts must look to the more casual Reatta owner.

Specialized knowledge is a wonderful thing until it puts off others who may find it's discussion pretentious. Hope I don't come off that way sometimes.

KDirk

The fan output is the same on both ECMs. I did not check where they go (on my car I added a jumper to turn the fans on with the key being in run, keeping my car engine temp 165 to 185) I had actually wondered if it went to the BCM on the 89. Heck let me check...On the 89 they go to two different relays ( high and low). I do not have a 88 diagram but the pin outs are the same from the ecm from both years (with the same labeling). So one may have to splice or repin into the correct connections on a harness swap.

Guest Corvanti
I'm glad others find these things interesting. I sometimes feel bad when I get into a highly technical post/thread that likely only a handful of other forum participants can readily follow. I am frequently guilty of talking in jargon that relates to the inner workings of the vehicle electronics, and only later realize how some of these posts must look to the more casual Reatta owner. Specialized knowledge is a wonderful thing until it puts off others who may find it's discussion pretentious. Hope I don't come off that way sometimes.KDirk

no problem here - though i'd rather work on vehicles with a distributor and points. :o

i also try to read all threads but sometimes my brain interprets some of tech posts as "blah, blah, blah"... but if i ever do have a problem, for more info than the FSM has, i know i can use search and find the solution.

i just have to get the noggin to accept it. nowadays it seems like i need to limit new info as to things i really need to know!!!:)

I love reading these posts. I have no understanding of what they are talking about but I love listening to them. I read every one. It is kind of like listening to 2 French girls converse in French. You know it is interesting and yet I have no clue. Keep it up guys! Someone needs to understand how this stuff works. Maybe I should write a book' date=' Reatta For Dummies.[/quote']

i always read this stuff hoping to learn how to make my car do more cool stuff.

Daniel: The photos below will show the differences between the '88 model cooling fan wiring and the '89. As you can see in the diagrams the wiring is different on the inputs to the relays as well as the outputs of the relays. Note that the '88 model used a large resistor reduce puller fan speed and the '89 did not.

I hope this helps you sort out the changes in the wiring.

post-52331-143142062061_thumb.jpg

post-52331-143142062064_thumb.jpg

post-52331-143142111577_thumb.jpg

post-52331-14314211158_thumb.jpg

Correct there are two lines from the ECM, one for low fan the other for high. The difference is in the relay logic and the resistor on the 88. If you don't mind a little more noise you can jumper out the resistor and the puller will always be at the high speed.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Daniel, Are you swapping the engine harness only, or also the dash harness.

Maybe you should be looking at the thru firewall connector pinouts too if not replacing both.

Correct there are two lines from the ECM, one for low fan the other for high. The difference is in the relay logic and the resistor on the 88. If you don't mind a little more noise you can jumper out the resistor and the puller will always be at the high speed.
I've had a jumper across the resistor on my '88 for some time now and it does help keep the engine cooler in stop and go traffic.

Daniel, Are you swapping the engine harness only, or also the dash harness.

Maybe you should be looking at the thru firewall connector pinouts too if not replacing both.

I am using the 88 harness to build the harness for my series 2/3 and F40 swap. I figured throwing out a little information out there that would give people more options could not hurt. The two pins send the same signals so they can be used in either year. As far as the pin out for the firewall; it does no exist. The wires go through a seal plate but are solid until the ECM and body harness connection.