Decoding VIN.

The vin number does not tell you the option, except in some cases the engine size.

For thing like the tow package, radios, colors etc, you must find the Service Parts Label. It is moved around on GM vehicles, You owners manual should tell you where it is. it took several years for us to find it on the Reattas....... they hid it beside the spare tire ....under the insulation. It should look like the attached picture.

post-30596-143141954991_thumb.jpg

Alright, John, what did I miss??

Ben

Just messin with ya Ben. I figured you were looking to see if you had a factory tow package so you could tow the 50 to National Meets while sitting in the A/C comfort of that sweet Roadmaster wagon. ;)

Just messin with ya Ben. I figured you were looking to see if you had a factory tow package so you could tow the 50 to National Meets while sitting in the A/C comfort of that sweet Roadmaster wagon. ;)

Never happen!! I hope. But that option list continues to elude me. Not where Barney or Derik suggested. The owners manual alludes to a tow package, but nothing to help determine if mine has it. I would REALLY like to know if it has it and what the package consist of. The search continues.

Ben

The sticker for the codes should be in the door jamb for the tailgate on tge estate wagon. Open it up like a normal door (don't flip it down) and it should be right there.

AFAIK, the tow package had wiring for the lights, hitch, trans cooler, and maybe a different rear end,

Ben,

First Born, check your PMs.

NTX5467

Another alternative is to take it to a dealer. They may be able to determine it from the VIN, know where to look, or know what was in the package to visually check.

Good luck.

Derek, you're 'spectin' a LOT, there . . . 'specelly the "what's in it" part. hehe

Enjoy!

NTX5467

The sticker for the codes should be in the door jamb for the tailgate on tge estate wagon. Open it up like a normal door (don't flip it down) and it should be right there.

AFAIK, the tow package had wiring for the lights, hitch, trans cooler, and maybe a different rear end,

I checked my '96 wagon last night and that's exactly where my option code tag is. On the body, visible only when the rear gate is opened.

Guest turbofish38

Another quick way to ID the towing package option on the 94-96 Roadmaster and other LT1 B/D-bodies is by looking under the hood. The towing package used an auxillary belt driven fan that used a fan clutch and old style fan shroud. V92 included V08 HD Cooling,GW9 2.93 gears,KC4 Engine Oil Cooler and KNP Transmission Cooler.

If all else fails give your friendly GM dealers parts dept a call with your VIN and the EPC(ElectronicPartsCatalog) should be able to kick out all of the codes found on the SPID label.

Another quick way to ID the towing package option on the 94-96 Roadmaster and other LT1 B/D-bodies is by looking under the hood. The towing package used an auxillary belt driven fan that used a fan clutch and old style fan shroud. V92 included V08 HD Cooling,GW9 2.93 gears,KC4 Engine Oil Cooler and KNP Transmission Cooler.

If all else fails give your friendly GM deal

Thank you!!!

Ben