Engine diagnostics with no ALDL Connector?

Guest Ansis42

Guest Ansis42

Hey Everyone,

Recently, the 'Engine' light on my 1980 Buick Lesabre has come on. It only comes on when the key is turned on. It does not stay on while the engine is running. I have been trying to figure out how to extract the engine problem codes. I have a Haynes manual that discusses how to use the ALDL Connector to extract the codes. After much searching, I am not able to find this ALDL Connector. I did some research online, and came across a 1980 El Camino driver, who noted that his car does not have an ALDL Connector! So maybe this is something that was not available for older GM cars? If someone has done this before, I would greatly appreciate the steps to extract my engine problem codes! Thank you very much.

The 1980 cars had a non-standard connector under the hood. The OBD-I ALDL connectors came out with the 1981 model year. Olds put it on the driver's side inner fender. Unfortunately, I'm not even sure if it's possible to extract the codes by jumping the data terminal to ground the way you can on the ALDL connectors. Throw the Haynes manual as far as you can. You need a factory chassis service manual. There are currently over 20 of them on ebay, starting at $2. Don't waste your money on a bootleg CD version, get an original paper copy.

Guest Ansis42

Thanks for your reply. It is strange, because I don't remember seeing that Engine light come on in the past. A couple weeks ago, I know for sure that it would only come on SOMETIMES. One day I would turn the key on, and there would be no Engine light. The next day, the Engine light would appear! Regardless, it would not stay on while the engine was running. So this is what makes me think it's Buick's way of telling me there is a problem. But maybe not?

...... Throw the Haynes manual as far as you can. You need a factory chassis service manual. There are currently over 20 of them on ebay, starting at $2. Don't waste your money on a bootleg CD version, get an original paper copy.
Joe, I have noticed you don't like Haynes manuals, did you have a bad experience or get burned using one of them? John

Guest Ansis42

Actually, the 'Charge' light will come on every once in a while as well. Maybe the best solution is to put a 'For Sale' sign in the window. Thanks.

Isn't that normal? It does a "light check" on all warning lights when keyed on, or just before the crank position if held against the spring tension, then they cycle off when running. If it does not come on after starting up it may be ok. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Most folks don't buy an old car and expect everything to be perfect, expect a few things needing attention. John

It is still cheaper than new car payments.

The 1980 cars had a non-standard connector under the hood. The OBD-I ALDL connectors came out with the 1981 model year. Olds put it on the driver's side inner fender. Unfortunately, I'm not even sure if it's possible to extract the codes by jumping the data terminal to ground the way you can on the ALDL connectors. Throw the Haynes manual as far as you can. You need a factory chassis service manual. There are currently over 20 of them on ebay, starting at $2. Don't waste your money on a bootleg CD version, get an original paper copy.

Actually, GM cars had on board engine diagnostics that started to come out in 1980 - 1/2. The 1981 model year for GM had all gasoline engine vehicles equipped with computer controlled engines except maybe diesel engines. The first one that I drove was a 1980 1/2 Buick Century. That was the start of the computer controlled cars. .. You can jump a couple of the terminals on the OBD 1 systems to get a code out of the computer by flashing the check engine light, but it only tells you the system that is attached to the code. I do not remember the terminals to jump but could find it if you need. You really need a scanner to determine what exactly is going on in the system to accurately determine the problem. Prior to that there was an underhood "diagnostic connector" on some vehicles but it checked basic electrical systems. If I can find the special tool that was used for that connector, I will post a picture of it. That connector was not for checking the engine performance operation. .... By the way, ALDL stands for Assembly Line Diagnostic Link and was originally installed to check the vehicle engine operation of the computer system at the end of the assembly line. I am reasonably sure your car does not have an ALDL connector. Your light coming on is just the bulb check function at the start of an ignition cycle.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Joe, I have noticed you don't like Haynes manuals, did you have a bad experience or get burned using one of them? John

My experiences with any of the aftermarket manuals is that they are an incomplete subset of the info that's required to properly repair the car and are usually filled with poor reproductions of diagrams from the factory manual. Every time I've wasted my money on a Haynes, Chiltons, or whatever, I've ended up buying the factory manual anyway. The fact that I've wasted my money more than once on these things is not something I'm particularly proud of, but as a related data point, I've been married three times also... :eek:

My experiences with any of the aftermarket manuals is that they are an incomplete subset of the info that's required to properly repair the car and are usually filled with poor reproductions of diagrams from the factory manual. Every time I've wasted my money on a Haynes, Chiltons, or whatever, I've ended up buying the factory manual anyway. The fact that I've wasted my money more than once on these things is not something I'm particularly proud of, but as a related data point, I've been married three times also... :eek:

Yeah, I have noticed that. It seems they are always vague or imprecise on MY year model when the book covers several year models..........Marriage, I got lucky. Keep trying, none are perfect but hopefully still learning, life is a journey. TexasJohn

I have factory service manuals for all my cars and in 1980 they were still complete (the CJF one for my Heep is not much more than an expanded owner's manual). Also have several Haynes manuals which were better than most and easy to slide under the seat. Any more I have them saved on the computer, can put quite a few on one SD chip.

The early CCC cars have a single row connector rather than the dual row used later. For 80 it really depends on which engine you have.

A "check engine" light could be anything just a battery that is not charging. It is supposed to come on when the key is turned on and go off once the engine starts. It is not supposed to come on when the engine is running unless something is rong.