Interesting Transmission Symptoms

Mr. Anderson

Hi, my name is Brett, and I am a fairly new reatta owner, and new to the forum. I have been working out a few bugs on my reatta over the past few months, and I have seen a strange symptom occur when I'm driving it. Sometimes when I stop the car, the transmission will slip out of gear, and act like if it were in neutral because the engine will rev freely. It happens randomly, and I am not getting any codes on the CRT, and all fluid levels are good. Has anyone experienced something like this, and does anyone know of a solution?

Apparantly there is a difference....... put the Seafoam in before changing the fluid and filter, drive it for the recommendations on the can.

You could put a second can in with the new fluid.

Just a thought......is this engine reving a transmission problem or a engine control problem?

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Changed filter and flushed transmission two weeks ago. Added new fluid and transtune. However, today my reatta's transmission was acting really funny. It seems like it slips out of first gear (every time I come to a stop or slow down to very low speeds). The big deal was this evening while driving down my driveway, the transmission never really went into "drive." The only gear that would move the car was reverse, and all of the others (except park and neutral) acted as if the car was in neutral. I shut off the car and restarted it a few times until it finally went into gear. Still, no codes are present. I have "grounded" the car until I have time to work on it. I'm kind of freaking out, as the transmission has never acted this bad. :eek: Does anybody have any recommendations on what to do next?

The symptoms you describe makes me think low transmission fluid. To check the fluid be sure the transmission is fully warmed up. With the engine running shift from Drive to Reverse several times and the check the fluid with the engine still running and the Transmission in Park. No codes will be set by anything that will effect the shifting of the transmission on an '89 model.

Sorry about the late reply, it finally quit raining for a day over here. I have checked the fluid level, and found it to be where it was at the time of the fluid change. I did the above tests with no change in the fluid level. I also tested all of the gear selections to see if it would go into drive/reverse, and it would always engage except for the first shift after I started the car ([Park] to [D]). Shifting to park and then back to the gear selection would fix this problem. Is there anything else that I could test?