And the torque tube is STILL filthy!

bhclark

Had some fun with the putty knife yesterday on the '59....scraped off MOST of the grease from the rear axle and torque tube.

I was too covered in grease to even think about breaking out the degreaser and scrubby pad to go any further...The rear pinion seal has been leaking on Lucille since I got her roughly 7 years ago. I'm hesitant to tackle this job, as the torque tube itself does not leak much, if at all. I have to put about half a quart a year into the rear end.

On the plus side, nothing behind that joint will ever rust!

And yes, I had to consume the Leinenkugel to make room for the grease chunks! :)

post-41915-143141925806_thumb.jpg

Edited by bhclark (see edit history)

Well Brian, it's a start, that's the main thing. An old car is never finished, just a work in progress with less intensity than a restoration. Besides, we all need something constructive to do to have a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction in our lives. Philosopher and 'WELL KNOWN TROUBLEMAKER" TexasJohn

Mike, you talking trash again or did I understand that you car is really named Lucille? Or is that "Loose Wheel"?

Well, he does drive her hard and fast!

Must be the name, as Lucille is my roadwarrior. I drive her hard and put her away wet. Fact actually, every time she's left the garage this year, she's been rained on, even yesterday when I just pulled her out long enough to remove the front wheels on the '58 to change the shocks. She was out for a whopping hour and got rained on the only hour of the day it rained!

I actually threw that muffler away. A famous exhaust system maker apparently didn't know mufflers are supposed to muffle. I found an NOS one still in the Buick logo box, nice and shiny aluminized.

Um..... The pipes are in my nephew's scrap pile, too. Poorly bent and misaligned, same vendor. I found NORS pipes, too. I think it took about $1400 to get the exhaust quiet.

A diamond in a goat's butt, huh? Those Texas goats eat stuff with diamonds in it I hope. You don't, like put them there for decoration or security?

Bernie

Guest wildcat465
Yankee beer!

I don't know about no Yankees, we're kinda more like pine tree rednecks up here in the Northwoods. :D

And yes, I have severly damaged the supply of Leinie's myself scraping grease this weekend.

Keep at it Brian, it should be worth it in the end.

Edited by wildcat465 (see edit history)

Guest shadetree77

Way to go Brian. Careful though. Once you start scraping crud off the underside it's HARD TO STOP. Love the Leinies. My wife and I are big fans of their beer. Some of her relatives came down from Wisconsin a few weeks ago for her graduation. One of her graduation presents was two 24 packs of the Berry Weiss flavor(her favorite). Say, now that you've got that axle scraped, might as well scrub and degrease....then sand it....then you might as well primer it.....then maybe some paint.....then you have to figure out what colors.....and while your under there that frame looks mighty filthy.....and then....and then.....and then.:)

Guest shadetree77

Chris I think I've moved beyond a "can". I think I've started my own nitecrawler farm over here.:P