What to do? Free Motor and Transmission! How to get it?

Guest bofusmosby

Guest bofusmosby

I spoke to a guy in Kansas, that is rodding (I know, I don't like the idea either) out his 1937 Pontiac, and he offered to give me the complete engine, transmission, and everything else that goes with it for free, but I live in Tampa, so does anyone have any ideas on this? I also have a '37 Pontiac, and both mine and his are 6 cylinder. This would give me an extra supply of parts when (and if) needed. Driving up there would be out of the question, because of my work schedule. Does anyone ever transport complete engines, and if so, what kind of charges are involved?

Guest dminer

Geez, I'd take a road trip from PA and do it as fast as possible, but I have no idea the fuel I'd use...and my tip.lol. I just don't know what to say. And when does it need picked up by? I could fit it in, one way or another. I have a 2500 and it'll take straps right in the bed. I think it would cost you the same to ship it as it would to just replace parts as you go. Just my thoughts, but I'll drive to do it for you, no problem. I've been wanting to see your car anyway. You'll have to promise me a ride though!

Guest bofusmosby

Dan, I appreciate the offer, but I couldn't let you do this. That would be just too much. I'm not even sure if he has pulled the engine and transmission yet. Like you said, if I were to just get the parts I need in an "as needed" plan, you're right, it would be much cheaper. I would like to figure out a way to get the transmission, if nothing else. He also will be replacing the rear-end, and he has already said that when he removes it, he will sell me the ring and pinion gears. Since his car has always been a Kansas car, it probably has the higher ratio. On my car, it was always a Montana car from the mountain area, so my car has the low ratio. From what I have been told, this ratio was commonly referred as the "stump-puller" ratio. This is the reason why if I get my car up over 45 mph, the RPMs are so high. It would be nice to be able to go 55 mph without being concerned that the engine is going to come apart at the seams.

Keiser31, that's a great idea. Thank you!

It would likely cost you $500 or less to have a heavy skid of these parts transported by common carrier. Used auto parts are shipped at a very low cost per pound. If you can convince the seller to put them on a skid and deliver them to a trucking terminal and you pick them up at the company's terminal nearest to you the cost would be reasonable. We have used Estes or Old Dominion several times.

Restorer32 is correct, but you MUST state on the shipping documents that the parts are USED. The shipping for a new or rebuilt engine (as stated on shipping documents) is about twice the cost of shipping a "used" engine...also, if you or a friend is involved in any kind of manufacturing or business that ships over the road quite a bit, the discount can be huge...the company I used to work for arranged a few shipments for me, and with the company discount shipping bills were cut 1/3 to 1/2....

With the cost of gas these days, shipping it if you can get a discount is probably cheaper than contributing to someone's gas bill for picking it up!

We shipped a skid of Kissel parts weighing maybe 400 pounds from PA to Oregon. Total cost was under $400. As Trimacar says be sure the parts are listed as "used". There are vastly different rates for different commodities, down to the level where used bumpers have their own rate. The trucking company will tell you what rate is appropriate.

Jim, when you can get the rear end parts, suggest you get the entire "3rd member assembly" or "pumpkin" containing not only the ring and pinion but also the spider gears and associated bearings. After inspection, this can be swapped into your housing as a unit, saving considerable set-up costs. Suggest you also get from him at the same time both axle shafts to keep as backup.

Guest bofusmosby

Grimy, that's a great idea. I believe that I know what you are talking about, but to make sure, is this what you are speaking of? (see photo)post-66697-143141864206_thumb.jpg

Restorer32, sounds good, but I would have no way of picking up the engine, and I know no one who is in any business that commonly ship items. I'm wondering if maybe I could just have shipped the transmission, generator, starter, and all the other items that go with the motor, as well as the axles and differential assembly. I don't know if the guy would be willing to pack any of this stuff up or what. I am sure that he would want to do as little of this as possible, since he would be giving these items to me. As far as the engine goes, I have no idea as to the condition of it actually is. It may be frozen, or even have a cracked block or head. Futhermore, I have no idea if they guy would have the means to transport these items to shipping company, or if he would even be willing to do this. I guess I need to talk with him again soon to find out.

Trimacar, thank you for the info. I had no idea that used parts were cheaper to ship compared to new ones. This is good to know!

Edited by bofusmosby (see edit history)

Jim, the trucking company has local rigs with lift gates and pallet jack and can get this pallet of heavy parts right inside your garage! Call a local freight company and pick their brains for the particulars, it's their job. Having an entire drivetrain for cheap is definitely worth it.

Jim, re your post #9, that is indeed the pumpkin / 3rd member. Both axle shafts must be pulled to get that critter out.

While YOUR axle shafts are out to do the change, get all four (your two + the two from the donor) magnafluxed to find any cracks. You don't want to do axle shafts again...

ABF also does direct to door pickup and drop-off for a small additional fee if the other trucking companies won't and they are pretty cheap as I recall compared to others but he would still likely need to pack it on a pallet. They also don't farm the work out (subcontract) which is nice and they can track the delivery for you along the way. Verify that they still do all of this of course, but I've used them several times and have been very happy each time.

I posted this on the other thread in the ' Towing Needed ' forum ....

Chances are, the ' Seller ' is not going to put the parts on a pallet and load them on a trailer

To get drop gate service to load a pallet at a residential pick up location is expensive

To have automotive parts properly palletized for commercial drop shipping is expensive

BEFORE you make a decision to purchase automotive parts at a distance - ask the following:

Is the SELLER going to drain the engine/tranny/differential of all fluids ?

Is he going to provide a pallet/pallets for shipping ?

Is he going to put loose parts in a suitable container and/or steel band/block the components ?

Is he going to load it with a forklift on to a trailer ?

Here is a big block hemi with associated parts being loaded onto my trailer at a truck repair

facility in California .... whistling.gif

The Seller took the engine and parts to the repair shop - they packaged and banded the

engine and parts for shipping - then loaded it on my trailer with a forklift ....

This service cost the Buyer $250.00 .....

popcrn.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=1918380&d=1366540779

Jim drive.gif<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby

Thank you Jim. I doubt that the owner will be willing to do any of these things. Gives me food for thought.

Guest bofusmosby

Naw Rusty, I haven't taken a vacation since 1980. Don't get me wrong, I get 2 weeks a year, but I usually work through them. Now with the health of my Boss at work (it's just he and I), I wouldn't be able to go on any road trips. I work 6 days a week. No truck, trailer, or hitch.

I do have a good friend who is a long distance truck driver that said he might be able to pick up a load in the future. It would be a matter of having a delivery in or near Tampa, and also having to drive through Wichita to get to Florida. He told me that he wouldn't be able to pick the engine up, but he might be able to pick up everything else. Hey, it's at least a possibility.