Verticle Magneto Help !! Need info on Brands Made prior to 1932

DE SOTO

post-55023-143141853841_thumb.jpg

Been working on an Old Dodge project & would like to keep all parts prior to 1932.

Just got a 1927 Fast Four engine for it & now looking for a Verticle Magneto for it.

Question is What Brands had a Verticle before 1932 ?

Where would i find Pics & Info to ID one if I saw somthing at the Swap meet ?

Any info would be great !

Rick ......... DESOTO6X2@AOL.COM

post-55023-143141853826_thumb.jpg

I don't know much more about them, sorry. I do know that Scintilla vertical magnetos were made for many years, at least to the 70's that I'm aware of. The later versions are actually quite common, I've seen a few for sale. But, these appear to be a different model and style to the 1932 version shown. The ones fitted to VW's seem to be the most common available.

Except for the very early cars produced the first year or two, The Dodge Brothers 4 cylinder of the teens and 20's used a Northeast ignition system. Look here...

Dodge Brothers North East Distributor Drive Literature 1919 20 21 22 23 24 25 | eBay

These cars were 12 Volt and also used a Northeast Starter/Generator that was chain driven off of the crankshaft on the left hand front of the motor.

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Except for the very early cars produced the first year or two, The Dodge Brothers 4 cylinder of the teens and 20's used a Northeast ignition system. Look here...

Dodge Brothers North East Distributor Drive Literature 1919 20 21 22 23 24 25 | eBay

These cars were 12 Volt and also used a Northeast Starter/Generator that was chain driven off of the crankshaft on the left hand front of the motor.

I actually have a Mag That fits that sort of Ignition system for the Early engine .... But I am Changing to the Later '27 Fast Four Engine with a Verticle Dizzy that mounts in the Cylinder Head.

So I need one like the Scintilla in the Pic .... Open anything but MUST be an Early Piece !!

Why do you want a magneto? Coil ignition is as good or better. The most common, and suitable for your needs, would be a Fairbanks Morse magneto used on thousands of tractors, donkey engines and Harley Davidsons lol.

I run a Mag In a 389 Pontiac & '56 DeSoto engine on the Street, Pontiac in my '55 F-100 & DeS in a Hot Rod '30 Model A ........ I LOVE the Magneto !

I Like the Look & The Reliability I have got from them .... Besides, Whats a Hop Up with out a Mag ???

Need one for my '57 Pan Head HD to .... Ill have a Mag In EVERY vehicle I own .... As Soon as they all run !!

A magneto simplifies things if you don't have any electrical system to start with. No headlights, horn, tail lights, etc. on a race car so who needs a battery, starter, or generator? Leave them off and save the weight, all you need is a mag.

Early cars had a magneto and/or trembler coil ignition. That was the best they had at the time. As soon as Delco invented the modern electrical system, that integrated the generator, starter, ignition etc into one system the magneto went out.

In the twenties an old friend built a Model T hot rod. He used a Bosch magneto off a 1913 Cadillac. Bolted the magneto to the car's frame and drove it by a bicycle chain off the front of the engine. This allowed higher speed than the stock ignition. But the magneto was probably worth as much as a whole Ford.

Actually, I know all of this. I just wanted to get the poster thinking about his statment... ;) Old Dandy Dave just razin up the devil a little...

What Statement would that Be Dave ???

All I want to know is some Info on What Verticle Mags were available & maybe if someone had one available for Purchase.

Why would anyone Give a Crap on Which Ignotion I use on MY car ???

Kinda Like if I asked you WHY do you own an '82 Buick Riviera ... WHY ?

What Statement would that Be Dave ???

All I want to know is some Info on What Verticle Mags were available & maybe if someone had one available for Purchase.

Why would anyone Give a Crap on Which Ignotion I use on MY car ???

Kinda Like if I asked you WHY do you own an '82 Buick Riviera ... WHY ?

Not You... Rusy_Otool said it was better with points, battery and coil... And then he even answered why a mag is better.. Especially where tin lizzys are concerned. LOL... Read the post again. Actually I'm with you when it comes to using a mag. Simplistic and reliable. Good enought to Fly the skys, Good enough to fly 4 wheels on the ground also. If I had a mag I thought would work I would be boxing it and sending it to you. I don't have anything that would work or look right on your car at the moment. Dandy Dave!

Oh, and those Fun Loving Buick buddys of mine suckered me into it. They liked spending my money... ;) Dandy Dave!

Wico magnetos are popular with the 1932-35 A B C Ford guys. They came in both base mount and shaft mounted.

Yes. The Wico X series is a very good mag. You will need to know the shaft rotation to chose the right gearing and rotation for the mag. With many of these early engines one turn on the crank will move the shaft also one turn in the same direction as the crank shaft rotation. Check your Dodge and see what you have. I have worked on the early 4 Cylinder Dodge engines in the past but do not remember the gearing. Usually, but not always, the gears run crank to cam at 1/2 the speed to a gear the same size as the crank gear to turn the ignition system on an inline 4 cylinder. From the front of the engine you will be spinning it clock wize with a hand crank. Dandy Dave!

LOL .... OK Dave ............ I thought you wuz Bustin My Balls !!! :cool:

No Worries on the Buick ... Someone has to Love everything ... Like my '71 Ford Courier Mini Truck !!!!!

No... but now I probally have Rusty PO'ed at me. For that I will have to take off my sock and wash my foot before I insert it and suck on my toes. :eek: ...(WE Love you Rusty.) I think Rusty's take is that it would be easier to install a battery ignition. Each system has its place and works good for the application that it is intended. Lawnmowers with high speed engines are still running mags today even with battery start systems? Always question why? I try to think outside of the box from time to time. That is how thing get invented. Dandy Dave!

Well .... It has a Battery system & a NortEast Dizzy Factory ............. But at the end of the day, Thats Not what i want ..... I WANT A MAG !!!!

I am really trying to find out how to Date them & what was available around 1932 ... I have a Time period I am trying to follow.