Researching a vehicles history

JohnD1956

For a while now I have been wondering what resources people use to research their cars. Having just a smattering of information on my own models I was not that concerned but recently, as a Chapter Director, I recieved a request from someone who was looking for a production number on a particular vehicle. I do not know where to get that type of information. So can you all share what thoughts you have on how to properly research a vehicle?

For example:

What resources interpret the data plate on your car in terms of colors and interiors?

What resources are reliable for determining how many cars were built with certain combinations of accessories?

What resources are available for determining what factory accessories should look like?

I have the Standard catalog of Buick, and Terry Dunhams book too. I have sales brochures for my own cars and factory service manuals. What other resources I am missing?

John,

I know its not exactly what you're referring to, but I've used two websites time and again to get specifics/history on a particular VIN: GM Media Archive www.gmmediaarchive.com and Compnine VIN Decoder www.compnine.com. The GM website cost $50 and has much more info available for Caddy's than other GM cars (but still very acceptable). The VIN Decoder website is free...just type your car's VIN and get instant data.

Hope this helps in some small way.......

Edited by DShip (see edit history)

I could be wrong but recall that GM does not have pre-1990 vehicles on the computer, so it is unlikely that Compnine can provide older car information.

Compnine is a reasonable estimate of some of the accessory items. I know from experience that if you do a 1991 Reatta, Compnine shows more coupes built than the official Buick number. So when you look at the number of cars built with something like a Sunroof, even if they are using the actual number of sunroofs installed in that year, when they do the percentage calculation, it will be off (because their total number is wrong).

Compnine used to be free. It does a pretty good job, here is the report for my 1994 Impala SS: http://brockportinternational.com/xjs/Dir5/Impala/Vehicle%20VIN%20Decode.htm

Four cars are an exact match.

Every option showing 6303 is an SS. That was the total production. It is about 20,000 for 19995 and 1996. The wheels are imported Holden Commodore 17". They ran short of wheels and limited production for '94.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

That Comprine site advertises cars back to 1980. Also that is quite the report Bernie. If I read it right there were only 4 cars exactly like yours from the same assembly plant. There could be more cars exactly like yours, but from differtent plants, and thus considered "different".

The Buick Research gallery in Flint Michigan does research on your buick for a fee. If you have never beann there they have a nice collection of buicks and a hellcat tank that birthed the dynaflow trans.

Research

Local Research

Welcome to our local history research area!

Our extensive Flint and Genesee County, Michigan, history collection is located at the Sloan Museum’s Perry Archives inside the Buick Gallery and Research Center. Our collection includes, but is not limited to, local cemetery and funeral home records, city directories, flyers, letters, photographs and postcards. With more than 125,000 artifacts, the Sloan Museum has a little of everything!

Research Services

Photographs - $10.00 per image More than a century of Flint and Genesee County is represented in the Sloan Museum photograph collection. Local businesses, streets, and events are common requests. You may choose if you would like a high quality reproduction print of the image or a scanned image on CD. Printed images are scanned and reproduced on high gloss photo paper. Printed or digital, the cost is $10.00 per image. Multiple images may be put onto a CD, but the charge remains per image.

Research - We also provide genealogical and local history research services for those unable to visit the Sloan Museum. Extensive research incurs a rate of $15.00 for every half hour of research. Photocopies are 20¢ per page.

The Museum accepts VISA and MasterCard. Checks must be made payable to Sloan Museum. As always, we will contact you before running a charge on any service which you may not have a total for beforehand.

Information can be submitted by printing this page and mailing it to the address below or by calling (810) 237-3440.

Sloan Museum - BGRC

303 Walnut St.

Flint, MI 48503

Exhibits at Buick Gallery

Enjoy these great exhibits and displays at Buick Automotive Gallery.

Current Temporary Exhibit

Other Displays

Past Exhibits

Coming Soon

Driving Dream Machines at Buick Automotive Gallery

Muscle Cars 1955-1969 April 27-June 2, 2013

Muscle Cars 1970-1973 June 8-July 14, 2013

Sloan* Longway is putting the pedal to the metal with a new display of performance cars this summer. Driving Dream Machines will feature two unique sets of the legends of the street from the GTO to the Road Runner, and many of their beefy brethren in-between. April 27th through June 2nd will feature forerunners and early examples of the genre, while June 8th through July 14th will chronicle the explosion of turn-key performance cars, as well as their decline and modern resurgence. See the cars, marvel at their clean muscular lines and hear the stories that transformed these cars from mere transportation into legends.Corvettes: 0-60 at Buick Automotive Gallery

July 20-September 29, 2013

2013 marks the 60th anniversary of the first Corvette rolling off a Flint assembly line, and 60 never looked so good! Sloan*Longway races though the end of the summer with a tribute to the crown jewel of American sports cars. Corvettes: 0-60 displays each body style from one of the original 300 “Polo White” hand built 1953 “C1” through each successive generation since highlighting changes in body style like the advent of the fabled Sting-Ray in 1963, performance with their landmark V-8 engines and how the Corvette survived 60 years to become an American institution.

[h=1]Automotive Research

[/h]Research Services

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Reports - $75 Regular processing, $90 Express processing. (view sample) For specific vehicle information, we maintain records for only the Buick model years 1970 and 1972 through 1976. This information comes from VIN microfilm records donated by Buick Motor Division. For a complete list of available VINs,click here. VIN reports feature the same information as found on Buick Motor Division's invoice forms. All reports list options, invoice amount, invoice date, color, trim, key codes, order number, and dealer number. A black and white copy of the wholesale car order form featuring selected options and accessories is also included. Please allow four – six weeks to process VIN reports. Express VIN reports incur an additional $15.00 charge and are completed within one business week. (Please note, expedited reports may depend on staff availability.)

Wholesale Car Order Form Reproductions - $15.00 (view sample) We have Wholesale Car Order Forms for Buick models spanning from 1932 to 1986. Although these are not specific to an individual vehicle, these forms identify options and colors available for a model year. Please call to confirm that we have your Buick’s form available. The Wholesale Car Order Forms are scanned and reproduced on high gloss photo paper.

Photographs - $10.00 per image (view sample) Sloan Museum's collection of Buick Motor Division photographs spans nearly a century of the automaker's history. Images of many Buick models, as well as interior and exterior views of the factories, are available.

Oops wrong one,

Sales Literature- We have a variety of sales literature for most Buick production years available for photocopying.

Research - We also provide a research service for those unable to visit the Sloan Museum. Our rate is $15.00 for every half hour of research plus 20¢ per photocopy.

John,

I have a bit of understanding on some of the information on 1955 through 1958 buicks regarding interpretation of the data plate, options and build sequence numbers which are available from the car. If they are cars from that period, maybe I can help them. I also have been making and selling reproduction factory build sheets for those years as well that replicate the original build sheets. PM for more information if anyone is interested..

Thanks Jim, This particular car is a 78, and in the instance at hand, I do not have the vin ID. It is just a fellow asking what the production might be on a car he used to own, a 78 Regal with a 231 V6 and a 4 speed with bucket seats. The thing was at first I did not even think such a car was available, but the Standard Catalog of Buick indeed shows this as a possible set of options! At any rate, Roberta asked her brother if he had any information because turns out he used to own one too. And the information he has puts production at less than 200 units.

I'd sure like to find one today...