6 Volt North East Key Coil

30DodgePanel

Yes, please do. I'm really stuck on interchangability regardlesss of Car or Truck and I think it's facinating the relationship that the cars and trucks shared from that era, not many other car manufacturers can say that. ...

I'd just like to know....especially with Dodge Brothers anything from pre-32 to the 29 range. I almost hate to put it like that because I feel like I'm excluding an important sweetspot within the family specifically the 28 Graham Brothers trucks but I hope you know what I mean when I stop at 29. Just prior to the transition it was more DB related and 30 was starting to lean more Dodge related (minus the Brothers) then in 31, 32 it's as if it was a curse word to continue calling "Dodge" Dodge Brothers or Graham Brothers. Pretty silly really but I think you know what I mean by that. I think it's an honor to call my truck a 1930 Dodge Brothers Panel truck. Maybe it's just me though... but technically speaking thats not what its called because of the take over and thats fine but I still love the name regardless...

I know what you mean and when I started the journey to learn the things I thought I needed concerning my own car I also focused on specified time frames but I learned quick that in order to fully understand what was going on in 1929 I had to understand what was going on in 1925 for example, after learning what little I could about other year Dodges I just became fascinated with all years and now it is my hobby to know more.

Your truck is still a Dodge Brothers, Chrysler still hung plaques within the interior/exterior of these later trucks that used the Dodge Brothers and Graham Brothers name clear enough so not sure what you mean by this........but technically speaking thats not what its called because of the take over

Technically nothing after 1920 was built under the Dodge Brothers direct supervision as they were 6 feet under.

I will post a picture of that lock in a few, my scanner is tied up at the moment with other things.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Just for reference I asked Richard ( senior six owner ) about his keys being used on all locks as the page I posted above mentions and his reply was ..........Yes the same key fits all except in my case the door lock doesn't work so I have to try to take it out and see if it can be fixed

One thing I forgot to ask but will do so is a picture of the side of the cylinder where the number is imprinted. Will post it here if it arrises

EDIT: response:Yes on the lock with the original keys DB528 is stamped on bot the lock and the key and the key is marked Briggs and Stratton. There is a grove in the lock cylinder where the number is stamped. It is hard to see and you have to have just the right light but I will try for a picture.

Here are your Senior key barrels and here is his reply......... The shape of the cylinders are slightly different which might mean a different supplier or just a change by Briggs and Stratton. The DB583 is chrome plated. They started to chrome plate stuff in 1927 and 1928 and obviously by the number that one was made a little later so that might be appropriate..

post-48869-143141769632_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143141769634_thumb.jpg

Guys please make note of the year and model of vehicles when asking for help. It's very important so we don't have to all go back and search for it.

Yes gundog its possible,

what year is it a 27 28 or 29 - Is it a Senior ? theres many different keys and cylinders mentioned so we have to know what year car the cylinder came from and it would help to verify if you could tell us where the cylinder goes in order to make sure you buy the correct key.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Here are your Senior key barrels and here is his reply......... The shape of the cylinders are slightly different which might mean a different supplier or just a change by Briggs and Stratton. The DB583 is chrome plated. They started to chrome plate stuff in 1927 and 1928 and obviously by the number that one was made a little later so that might be appropriate..

Jason,

please make note of this very situation for when you get your books. The key your showing of RW's is I believe the very key that Gundog is needing made for his 2249 also. BUT, if you look at my last post showing the key grooves and notice the designs on the heads, the head that your showing is not the same as what is recommended and I would love to see if we can collectively find this false or contradictory info when you get the books.

Jason,

please make note of this very situation for when you get your books. The key your showing of RW's is I believe the very key that Gundog is needing made for his 2249 also. BUT, if you look at my last post showing the key grooves and notice the designs on the heads, the head that your showing is not the same as what is recommended and I would love to see if we can collectively find this false or contradictory info when you get the books.

Will do

Is it possible to get a key for this lock?

Gundog since your cylinder is marked 585 and Richs cylinder is marked 583 maybe we can find a 584 key that you two can share and only have to jiggle a little to make it work :)

I am so curious to see the other side of this key, you'll understand why when you get the books. I believe it's blank stock # 42277 groove#3 but without seeing the design on the opposite side it's hard to nail it down. Again, I'm not questioning what the owner is saying, it's just not adding up properly yet.

EDIT: By the way, I ordered some other material that may help clarify this also.

179803d1361732355-6-volt-north-east-key-coil-senior-cylinder-1.jpg

I am so curious to see the other side of this key, you'll understand why when you get the books. I believe it's blank stock # 42277 groove#3 but without seeing the design on the opposite side it's hard to nail it down. Again, I'm not questioning what the owner is saying, it's just not adding up properly yet.

179803d1361732355-6-volt-north-east-key-coil-senior-cylinder-1.jpg

I asked him, we need to come up with a request list when attempting to collect the information, people will get frustrated if they have to get the camera out 6 times and I would not blame them. Will let you know when I know

Agreed, and I don't blame them either, I know I wouldn't put up with it.

I've given this plenty of thought and I'm sure you have too but I think there needs to be a thread once we get everything solved that one can go to in order to get specific info for keys, cylinders and coils but the initial post needs to be an explanation of brief helpful instructions similar to this sample below in order to cut out the confusion in the future (keep in mind it's been a learning curve for all of us so it was hard to put a list together up until now).

Instruction sample:

"On this thread Please list the following information in order to get the help your seeking".

1.) The year of your vehicle

2.) Car or Truck

3.) Engine size and code

4.) Model of the vehicle (Sedan, Coupe, Roadster, etc..)

5.) Location of key cylinders (door handle, ignition, spare tire etc..)

6.) Photos of both sides of the key showing design, maker and any numbers or letters stamped

7.) Photos of the shape of cylinder along with numbers stamped

Agreed, and I don't blame them either, I know I wouldn't put up with it.

I've given this plenty of thought and I'm sure you have too but I think there needs to be a thread once we get everything solved that one can go to in order to get specific info for keys, cylinders and coils but the initial post needs to be an explanation of brief helpful instructions similar to this sample below in order to cut out the confusion in the future (keep in mind it's been a learning curve for all of us so it was hard to put a list together up until now).

Instruction sample:

"On this thread Please list the following information in order to get the help your seeking".

1.) The year of your vehicle

2.) Car or Truck

3.) Engine size and code

4.) Model of the vehicle (Sedan, Coupe, Roadster, etc..)

5.) Location of key cylinders (door handle, ignition, spare tire etc..)

6.) Photos of both sides of the key showing design, maker and any numbers or letters stamped

7.) Photos of the shape of cylinder along with numbers stamped

Dave, once you put this all together I think you should contact the D.B ( cant remember if you are a member, Im not even at this point ) and try and submit it there, Phil is the editor and he a good guy and I am pretty sure he will help you to see that it gets published, if that just wont happen than make a final entry post here with all of the data, it will not go anywhere and will be used over and over again in the future by D.B owners.

Here is the backside of that Senior key and the statement that went with it......Here is the back of the key. The only thing on the back is a diamond with BASCO in it for Briggs and Stratton. The other marks on it are just scrathes............How do you interpret this now Dave?

post-48869-143141772129_thumb.jpg

Here is the backside of that Senior key and the statement that went with it......Here is the back of the key. The only thing on the back is a diamond with BASCO in it for Briggs and Stratton. The other marks on it are just scrathes............How do you interpret this now Dave?[/QUOTE]

UHHH??? :confused:

Here is the backside of that Senior key and the statement that went with it......Here is the back of the key. The only thing on the back is a diamond with BASCO in it for Briggs and Stratton. The other marks on it are just scrathes............How do you interpret this now Dave?

Jason,

I'm hopeful you'll confirm this tomorrow when you get your books.

Even though there is some conflicting info (mainly the design of the key) it traces to a Groove 3 with a blank stock # of 42277 and fits a door handle for a Senior 6 1927-28 among other things...

Well if it fits a door handle than it is also correct for the ignition cylinder. As the Senior six page I posted above indicated and a Senior Six owner has verified for us there was only one key that worked ignition, and door locks for at least the first series Senior sixes.

Hello Dave, after receiving the books today I have many more questions, little time tonight but I am wondering if you have looked into Clum manufacturing up until this point and what you have come up with, using google and keywords Clum manufacturing I came up with this as a start that I thought you would find interesting Original Equipment Keys for Antique Cars enjoy

Well if it fits a door handle than it is also correct for the ignition cylinder. As the Senior six page I posted above indicated and a Senior Six owner has verified for us there was only one key that worked ignition, and door locks for at least the first series Senior sixes.

Thats where I got confused (again...), my reading comprehension skills lack big time . I had no idea the ignition key was used for the doors also, that explains everything now. Wow, I feel like a real stabarnski...

Hello Dave, after receiving the books today I have many more questions, little time tonight but I am wondering if you have looked into Clum manufacturing up until this point and what you have come up with, using google and keywords Clum manufacturing I came up with this as a start that I thought you would find interesting Original Equipment Keys for Antique Cars enjoy

The more info the better. So are the books helping ?

I need some help on this one guys.

I was hoping someone could help identify this coil I have so I will know what vehicle or vehicles it will be correct for. The key code on the pot metal is stamped IM 010. I think it's to long to be for a Dodge Brothers when compared to my other coils I have. My thinking is that it could go to one of the other vehicles in the IM series. Heres a list of other vehicles it could fit, that are listed under the IM code. Does anyone recognize this coil to fit one of these vehicles ?

1930-32 Auto Car Truck

1927-31 Chrysler

1928-30 Corbitt

1930-33 Day Elder

1928-29 Diamond T Truck

1929 - Durant

1931 - Fageol Truck

1929 - Fargo Truck

1929-32 Gramm Motors

1929-30 Kenworth Truck

1929 - Lange Truck

1930-33 Maccar Truck

1930-31 M.P. Moller

1932 - Paramount Cab

1929-30 Plymouth

1930 - Roosevelt

1928 - Star

1929 - Sterling

1928-29 U.S. Motors

post-69994-143141776079_thumb.jpg

Also, I'd like to know if the tabs that are bent over the pot metal sleeve are pot metal also ? I was going to take it apart to confirm all of the working components are in order and to verify the cylinder # but I'll need to bend those tabs back first in order to free it so I can remove the coil.

The coil is NOT stamped with a manufacturers name or mark, it simple says "Made in USA" on the dark brown plastic portion in small print.

Any leads are appreciated.

post-69994-143141776047_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141776063_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143141776071_thumb.jpg

Looks like 31 DH and maybe others

Approx 8 inches from faceplate to tip of bakelite deal

Tabs are not pot metal, should say Delco in very small print, funny mine is marked 526-L

I had it identified as 31 DH, maybe that is incorrect

post-48869-143141776118_thumb.jpg

Looks like 31 DH and maybe others

Approx 8 inches from faceplate to tip of bakelite deal

Tabs are not pot metal, should say Delco in very small print, funny mine is marked 526-L

I had it identified as 31 DH, maybe that is incorrect

8" .... yep that's a match. Thank Jason.

When you say yours is marked 526-L, is that stamped on the pot metal ? So, which one is correct , can I assume that this coil I have fits any other models on that list I provided in post 350 or do you think it's only for the 31 DH Dodge Brothers vehicles ?

I would say almost certainly will fit other models as well, coil was identified ( just by viewing ) by John Keiser he has a 31 DH and recognized it, we will need to look into this 526-L which is printed on the pot metal, maybe you can find it within your books and confirm application. This needs to be done obviously at this point since we have no excuse not too.

Ok, will do.

Hey, I found another number just now on the opposited side of the IM # stamped into the pot metal it reads 533-W

That inspired me to scrub mine down and maybe my eyes are playing tricks but I think there may be something VERY faint on the opposite side of mine as well but that is kinda a big maybe. Now that I think about it the 526-L may be of no use.

That inspired me to scrub mine down and maybe my eyes are playing tricks but I think there may be something VERY faint on the opposite side of mine as well but that is kinda a big maybe. Now that I think about it the 526-L may be of no use.

Yeah, the key code should be the number on the opposite side of that 526-L #. Let me know if it's in the IM, JL or DB series.

Yeah, the key code should be the number on the opposite side of that 526-L #. Let me know if it's in the IM, JL or DB series.

I cannot read it if it were ever there.

Let me get confirmation if I can on application to this coil, I have little doubt it is what I was told it was but it would be nice to see it on some chart

Just curious if the key has the code on it ? I'd like to know if the coil accepted codes other than the IM series, if so then the list of vehicles I posted was only but a few of the possible vehicles it may work on.

Is your faceplate the same as the one I posted ? Keiser mentioned that the faceplate on the DH 6's were very different but he did say the coil was the same which is kinda throwing me. The faceplate on the IM 010 DH 6 coil matches the coupe donor face plate at the beginning of this thread.

Guest DodgeKCL

526 series fits 1930 30U Plymouths. There are later numbers in my book like 538 series for 1933 sixes but no 533. It would seem those numbers could cross over to Plymouth,De Soto and Chrysler cars.

• 2 weeks later...
This book tells me the same info as the instruction book, repeating everything we've discussed but for the earlier E series DA-120 specifically

[ATTACH=CONFIG]174247[/ATTACH]

Is there a picture of the frame similar to the attached picture from the Graham Bros manual. Your manual is for the model Series E -DA. I am not sure yet it this is the same as the DA 120. The shape of the frame would be of interest.

This manual you have does not show any reference to Chrysler Corp is that correct?

post-71470-143141800787_thumb.jpg