New Owner of a 91 Reatta

dship

98K miles on the 91 Reatta. The 92 Riviera has 153K miles. I consider them "low mileage" cars because if maintained, you just cannot kill a 3.8L (IMO).

Dave,

Congrats! You have one that is a close sibling to my car, as I have a 91 white/red. VIN on mine is 901008, what is the build sequence number on yours? I ask because a while back there was one on ebay that was build 901007, built just before mine. It was rather surprising to see it was still out there after 20+ years! Oh, and gotta love those 89-93 Rivi's too! I have been tempted to get one several times (as well as an 88/89 Toronado/Trofeo) but just don't have the room for such a collection. Something about the late 80's E-platform cars really appeals to me.

KDirk

My Reatta vin is 900183, build date December 5, 1990. Many thanks to the kind words from everyone. Its a little premature but I'm considering driving it to the BCA Nationals in South Bend this year instead of the 92 Riviera.

Sheesh. I only asked about the VIN out of curiosity and to see if it was in a block of a few white/red cars apparently built around MB901008 (that being my car). I know the cars were not necessarily built in the same order the VIN's were assigned (that is, sequentially) but there are clear patterns of cars being built in similar color combos based on known good data. The fact that I have seen a car that was one VIN removed from mine that was exactly identical proves at least two in a row were built white over red with identical option content. Given the limited number of color combinations and other options, it is not unlikely that more than two in a row were built that way either. Wasn't looking to start a thread jack or an argument, really.

This was almost certainly done to accommodate fewer color changes in the paint booth so that a block of cars in one color could be painted then sent on to various stages of assembly. Because of the unique build process we will never know (barring a time machine to go back and witness it ourselves) exactly what was done with regard to build sequence as cars could be painted then sit for a period of time before final assembly. Also, some colors obviously had more than one interior color option. White could be had with red, blue, tan or grey. So, a block of white cars that happen to be in the same VIN sequence might all have different interior colors as well. I figure the paint shop could probably crank out finished bodies faster than the rest of the plant could finish building them out, so at any given time there were probably several painted bodies in waiting to go on an AGV and then onto the first craft station.

KDirk

Guest Furman83

Wow,,heavy conversation here.

I just love my Reatta. Its a hobby and passion, I have fun fixing mine up and learning how to fix something I don't know a lot about. I would have though most of the persons who purchase these cars now, love the look and history of the car and want to have something they could not afford when they came out (at least that applies to me as a 50 something).

There is "Something" about the Reatta. If one looks at the AACA post counts, Reatta's have a large following (over 170,000 posts) as compared to all other post. In fact, the only other section that is larger is "General Discussion" at 177,00 posts.

In regards to the Threads, the only one that is larger than the Reatta's is the general Buy/Sell and only by 3,000.

Sorry to all if I have offended anyone.

I just love my Reatta

To KDirk (Kevin) & Furman83,

you guys weren't the ones I was referring to....always glad to hear from the 2 of you & exchange Reatta info stuff.......

Anyone can view the Reatta database at www.reatta.net I started the database back in 1996 because there was lots of things we did not know or understand about Reattas. 18 years later we know and understand lots more than we did then. This information has come from Reatta owners sharing information about their cars. Sometimes it is wrong.....a good example is a recent new Reatta div member that listed his 1991 black coupe as having blue interior......since he had never seen a real blue interior, the blue tint to the grey caused him to call it blue.

When you look at the 1991 cars in the database you will see all the vin numbers, but there are blanks. Those cars have not been reported on or not looked up at the dealer or places like Compnine.

Dave's car 900183 was made in the second batch of white coupes. The first group 900083 to 900123 was 43 cars and over half had red interior. Dave's batch 900179 - 90228 was 50 white cars. Later when Kevin's car was built that batch 900999 - 901018 was only 20 cars in the batch.

If anyone wants to help fill in the blanks, that would be great......Kevin could take the batch of white cars in his batch and look up the vins on Compnine and send me that info and we could get the blanks fill much faster with more people helping. Be careful about making errors, there are people watching.

Thank you, Barney...appreciate the info. Hope to see you in South Bend and don't forget to come by the Minuteman Chapter table and buy stuff to support my chapter!