Reattas in your neighbourhood?

DH Comet

Had a very exciting (for me) event today: while walking across the parking lot to the mall, a sapphire blue (great colour!) Reatta drove right in front of me - almost knocked me down, in fact. I was going to talk to the owner when he parked, but he was on his way out. This is the first other Reatta that I have ever seen, as far as I know. (I may have seen them before I was "Reatta-aware", of course). I have seen evidence (craigslist etc) of a few more around, but this was right there, in the flesh.

Does anybody else see other Reattas regularly? There can't be too many around. I must confess that I like the feeling of exclusivity that I get when I take the car out: that feeling of being in a one-of-a-kind car. On the other hand, it would be great to be able to talk about the car to others who know what the cars are like.

I can relate to this. I always enjoy seeing another Reatta (well besides the 2 I own when parked side by side) and have stopped and talked to other owners a number of times. There are a few around St. Louis, and I can count 10 that I have seen more than once. I've spoken with probably 5-6 other owners. It is hard to get a feel for how many are here, but seems a few dozen total in the wider St. Louis metro area (if including outlying suburbs and such) of all years. 91's of course are the least commonly sited and that makes sense, followed by 'verts of either year (90 or 91).

I'd imagine that they are very rare in BC, as not that many were sold (or subsequently imported) to Canada compared to those remaining in the US. There are a great many in Michigan though, and this stands to reason as many GM execs and employees bought them and so a large percentage remain in the upper midwest. This per Barney's recent article in the Reatta newsletter about current registration data gleaned from R.L. Polk Co.

I too enjoy having a unique car. While I generally try to avoid attention (have always been a low-profile, under the radar kind of guy) I like having a car that very few other people are driving. There is a certain pride of ownership to be enjoyed from that, along with the fact that the two I own are now 23 and 25 years old and still look and run like nearly new cars. Of course, a lot of effort and cost was/is expended to get and keep them that way, but it is worth doing as there are really no current production vehicles that interest me at all. Plenty of practical cars, but nothing "exciting" to my taste. Guess this stems from my always wanting to do it "my way" and be an anti-trendsetter. And you can't get much more obscure than a Reatta without spending 6 or 7 figures for some rare exotic or hard to find classic.

KDirk

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)

Guest Sidney22

I found Reattas numerous years ago when we were buying our daughter her first car. Didn't buy the one I found then, but never forgot it. We recently bought a parts car 6th generation Celica, and the man DROVE a Reatta. Not in our town, but just a town over. That started me on the Reattas again. I have not seen any in our town, but know they are definitely in the DFW area. I watch!!! It would be fun to find other people in the area that drove Reattas.

Guest my3buicks

There is a white one a teacher in my area drives, it is an 88 and she bought it new. We often meet going opposite directions and I always do a double take.

I probably live less then 10 miles from 2seater and never seen his on the road. It is very rare for me to see a Reatta unless I look in my garage. I wonder how many are left in my area. Let's see there are 3 in my garage, 2seater, the red/gray and maroon/tan in Kaukauna, the white in for an exhaust at the shop near me, and unless there are others stored that is about it...

Guest Richard D

Here in Miami when I bought my first one in 1990 (new) I would see one about every two weeks, but never a vert in a convertible city! When I bought my current one 2008/2009 I have seen only one driver in rough shape. The U-pick-yard says they have not had one in over five years. In fact to buy this one I had to go to Sarasota. After I had it painted and was driving it for a week someone came up to me at a monthly car show and offered me $5,000.00 for it. But he wanted to use a bank draft and I did not care for his "vibe" so I turned him down. So far has been a great car, biggest expense was A/C compressor replacement. Including the A/C work and oil changes I have spent less than $200.00 a year for everything but gas. That will change soon, tires are due.

Edited by Richard D (see edit history)

Guest Convert2water
I found Reattas numerous years ago when we were buying our daughter her first car. Didn't buy the one I found then, but never forgot it. We recently bought a parts car 6th generation Celica, and the man DROVE a Reatta. Not in our town, but just a town over. That started me on the Reattas again. I have not seen any in our town, but know they are definitely in the DFW area. I watch!!! It would be fun to find other people in the area that drove Reattas.

I live in Lewisville and I see a white one around a few times. Would be great to have a conversation in person about them. I drive a red 1990 and love my car. I take great pride and do my best to take good care in her. I work in the best breakfast place in Grapevine! Come see me,its called Old West Cafe.

I sold my Reatta in DeKalb IL, and talking to the new owner, he took it to FL to retire in Ft. Myers before i did. Doesn't seem fair.

There was a small Buicik Dealer in Sycamore IL, where the owner had one, and several were sold. I still see abouit 2-3 per year around here.

Tom T

Guest Corvanti

a few months before i purchased mine, i saw what i think is now my Reatta on the "main drag" (US 421) to the beach, going the other way. i usually don't "notice" other vehicles on the road unless they are Corvettes or older "classic cars", but certainly noticed that beauty. :)

late this summer i saw another one, but i don't know if it was local, or a "tourista" headed to the beach.

a few months before i purchased mine, i saw what i think is now my Reatta on the "main drag" (US 421) to the beach, going the other way. i usually don't "notice" other vehicles on the road unless they are Corvettes or older "classic cars", but certainly noticed that beauty. :)

late this summer i saw another one, but i don't know if it was local, or a "tourista" headed to the beach.

I have 2 or 3 customers down your way, Kerry. I also bought a parts car from a fellow down on Market St.

Reattas are everywhere. My local Buick club has a couple dozen. On any day I can show you probably about 30 in a hundred mile radius. As I'm writing this, I keep thinking of more.

1990 select sixty

1991 white/blue coupe

1990 red/tan convertible

1991 Maui/blue convertible

1991 polo green/tan coupe

1991 Claret Red/tan coupe

1991 white/grey coupe

1990 red/tan convertible

1990 claret/burg coupe

1988 white/blue sunroof coupe

1990 black/grey coupe

1988 SBFM/blue coupe

1988 Red/tan coupe

1988 black/grey coupe

1990 silver/grey coupe

1990 driftwood/tan convertible

1989 red/tan coupe

1991 red/tan coupe

1991 red/tan convertible

1989 white/tan coupe

1990 white/burgundy coupe

1988 red/tan coupe

1990 burgundy/burgundy coupe

1990 black/burg convertible

1990 red/tan convertible

1990 red/grey coupe

1990 silver/ grey coupe

1988 white/grey coupe

1989 red/grey coupe

That's all I can seem to think of right now, add to that a couple dozen parts cars in various states of disrepair, and my own cars, and it probably adds up to more than 30.

Drop by sometime, I'll give you the 10 cent tour :)

Guest Corvanti

Marck, i still plan on getting up your way soon. i've been dealing with a couple of health issues for quite awhile that keep me from doing very much of anything... :(

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Furman83

I first thought I had the only one in Nashville, TN. Then to my surprise I have seen 5 others; two of which are less than 10 miles from my house. The other three are owned by Country Music persons north and South of Nashville. I am happy to say mine is the only Red 88 with Gray interior (is there any other color combo,,not to my liking anyway). When I take my Reatta out I get TONS of looks. I drove it to Tampa recently (28.5 MPG) and stayed the night in Valdosta, GA. While parked I had a Couple looking at my car and thinking it was a "Rolls Royce" due to the fact it had the Reatta "R" on the front hood. If they would have looked at the tail light they would have known it was a "USA BUICK". But I let them think they saw a RR (country bumpkins, Got to love them).

Love my Reatta, I wish Buick would bring it back in a Retro style with today's technology (Like the Camaro). I would be one of the first to purchase one.</SPAN>

Edited by Furman83
Subject Verb agreement (see edit history)

Dave is right. We live not far apart but have never met, although I may have seen one of Dave's stable on the road. Even many years ago, there were almost none around in the winter. Over the years I have noticed several but even though I went looking for them, I never was able to talk with the owners. I purchased mine almost twenty years ago and I looked at three others before I bought. The last one I actually saw parked, was in the downtown area for several days in a row. I stopped and looked at it, whitewalls (uggh) and the wrong muffler, but decent shape otherwise. This was late summer. I intended to stick a note under the wiper the following day but I never saw it again. I think Dave has the majority in this area.