Source for engine paint 75 LeSabre

adoldfield

Alan,

Let me ask you a question. Is the color of your engine a pale powder blue or a (somewhat) darker metallic blue? My Skyhawk, and I think most of the 1975 model year Buick's, were painted with the one-year-only metallic blue. Here's a photo of the Skyhawk's engine:

DSC_0351.jpg

I have a can of the matching paint at the office. Let us know how yours was painted.

Added in edit: Alan, here's the link to a thread over on V8Buick about this subject: Escapee from Paint Jail

Edited by Brad Conley
Additional info (see edit history)

One note regarding "GM Corporate Blue" engine paint. Although some of the aftermarket paint vendors might call their paint "GM Blue", in many cases it is NOT an accurate match for the factory paint . . . even Krylon. Reason is that the color is more probably trademarked and such, so any body doing an exact color match would be liable for liscensing fees and such. What Krylon used to term "GM Blue" was really way too dark, much closer to "Ford Blue" in color. Others were closer, but not exact, more like "Chrysler Blue" (not Chrysler turquoise!). Back then, the only place to get accurate "GM Corporate Blue" was from the GM dealer, by genuine GM part number. Seems like there's a reproduction paint company that has most of these things, too.

IF you can't find the paint you desire in a ready-made spray can, you can get a paint store to mix some to match what you have. Then, you can thin it and pour it into a PreVal spray unit, and then spray it as you need to. Only thing is that they'll usually only mix a quart and it can be more costly to do it that way, rather than purchasing a single spray can or two.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

• 3 weeks later...

Alan,

I think I can speak from experience, as you well know, I had several issues in the beginning years when I joined BCA, as I had one of the first 75 leSabre convertibles regularly attending BCA Heartland Regionals, and several BCA Nationals---- I ALWAYS to be present with the car when judging was being done , because of the issue of "correct" engine color for this year. I am the original owner of my 75 convertible, having purchashed it new May of 75, with 6.2 miles on the odometer. The "correct" color is a metallic Blue- Tourquoise--- I fought for several years getting this recognized as correct-- finally gaining approval under Rick Schicks' Tenure as "Chief Judge". I worked for several Buick dealers in the Service Dept as Service Advisor, and moving up to Ass't Mgr status a short time later--- I am "very" familiar with this color--- 74 was the last year Buick painted the engines Red-- for 75 they changed to the blue-tourquoise color and carried this color into & thru the 77 model year. In 78 they changed to the light pastel powder (robins egg) blue and carried this color into & thru the 82 model year. 83 saw GM change across ALL divisions to basic Black-- This coming after the Chevy-Olds engine debacle of the late 70's-- people finding Chevy motors in their Oldsmobiles, because Olds had some issues & problems and could not meet some emissions demand and therefore leading to a shortage of Olds mtrs. Also remember, GM/Buick bought back the rights & patents for the 231 V-6 from Jeep---- Jeep belonging to AMC- at the time used AMC corporate paint color on the engines which was a metellic Blue- tourquise color. Buick brought back the little V-6 mtr in the smaller Century/Special/Regal and Skyhawk line for 75 as a quick fix to develop better gas mileage cars in the Buick line-up as this was right after the first Arab oil- embargo gas crisis that started in 73. I believe that when Buick bought back the rights to the V-6 they aquirred all the remaining or bulk color engine paint AMC had so they could quickly get the V-6 mtr okayed by the government for use in the upcoming 75 model year and just chose to use the AMC color for the engine line at that time as they had all this bulk engine paint to use up. I worked for the local AMC dealer right after graduating high school- worked their for a couple of years, before changing jobs-- AMC engine color was the metllic Blue-Tourquiose from at least 68 & up-- If you can't fnd the color thru Buick sources --- I would think and suggest using the color from AMC-- if it doesn't match dead on the shade of color s/b close enough to matching the rest of the engine color on your engine--- The color on your engine may be slightlty darker by a shade or so due to the color Heating & curing over time. I also owned 2 - 76 Century "Special" models from 77 thru 84- and the engine color was metallic blue- Tourquoise--- I blew up the mtr in one of the 76's and had to scour Bone-yards for a replacement- Had a harder time here as 76-77 mtrs differed in design when a mid year change to the firing order was done-- odd- fire to even-fire--- but, this a another discussion altogether--- but even the newer even -fire mtrs were painted metallic blue- tourquoise. We replaced several 75-77 mtrs w/lkq salvage during my first tenure working in the Buick service dept, due to people locking them up during cold starts in the Chicago area sub-zero winters.-- Gas flooding the oil pans. At that time our parts dept had possession of & regularly stocked the engine color in aeresol cans-- for both "blues", however like everything else we deal with in our hobby, I no longer know where this can be obtained right over the counter--- My good friend that still works in the Buick parts dept was unable to locate a source for me several years ago, when my aeresol supply for touch up began to dwindle.. I have seen the AMC color listed as available in Eastwood catalogs a couple of years ago. Hope this helps.

Edited by dkbuick75
spelling (see edit history)

Oldsmobile also used a similar metaillic bue color in that era but it tends to shaded more to the "blue" side than w/any traces of tourquiose. But it is an altrnative source for color-- Just shade variance.This was more readily available over the counter at Mom-Pop type parts stores than at major chains like auto-zone, Murray's, etc--- it was listed as Olds- Buick blue

Guest 75RivGS

Did all of the Buick engines had that very same blue color in 1975? (455 / 400 (it is in the 1975 chassis manual but in which car model??) / 350 / 260 / 231)

When the 455 will be out of my Riv again I will have to paint it. Already looking for the correct shade of blue; for now I will follow the 'AMC' tip:

http://forums.aaca.org/f177/ebay-stunning-low-miles-75-riviera-270090.html

Edited by 75RivGS (see edit history)

In my sleuthing, I did find what I believe is the correct paint code for this '75 engine color; Borgenson automotive paint here in Cedar Rapids lists it as a 69 Chevrolet color (also 1976 Corvette), paint code 71 - "LeMans Blue." The same paint is code 2083 for PPG.

Alan

I just now saw this post and i know that the question is already put to bed, but I just wanted to quote from the 2005 judging handbook 7th edition that is posted on the BCA.org website. While the paint code is not listed, the color name listed on page 25 is Medium Metallic Blue. I have always used the Judging Handbook for questions and while I dont know who wrote the handbook, but until the handbook is changed I would have to deem it correct. Im no expert so I for one would would look for the Medium Metallic Blue. It may be a different name today so maybe somebody in the know needs to revisit the handbook. Just a thought.

This is one of those things that could cause a discussion on the showfield.

It sounds like everybody is on the right trail but I would think the proper color should be listed on our Judging manual

Chuck

• 11 months later...

To add my .02. On my all original 75 Lesabre convertible with the plaque stating the last 50 made, the engine color is not the metallic turquoise it is GM blue and every 76 Lesabre I have seen is also GM Blue. The other two 75 Lesabre convertibles that I have restored I used the AMC blue it is not perfect but it is very close.

Edited by guyrobert (see edit history)