New here from PA

Guest Rust is Gold

Guest Rust is Gold

My name is Rusty and I'm an autoholic. Have been since I could grip a steering wheel. I was looking for an Edsel forum and came across this website. I just had to join. I love old cars, old anything, really. I dabble in the buy/sell of vintage and antique items, but the problem is I have yet to sell anything! So I guess I just collect LOL. I love anything rusty and dusty. Anyway I have many plans in the automotive department. In the market right now for an Edsel Villager 9 passenger for a rat rod/daily driver project. Also looking for a 61-63 Tbird to restore as a daily driver for the wife to surprise her for an anniversary gift. Looking forward to checking out this forum and chatting with you all. If you wanna know anything more about me, feel free to ask.

Edited by Rust is Gold (see edit history)

Welcome, you are among others afflicted with the autoholic problem. Discussions tend to stay in the stock original form, so you may get some hassle on the rat rod project. Not saying there are not a few closet rod people on board it's just the forums are owned and operated by AACA and their goals are to preserve not modify.

If you actually found a Edsel Villager in restorable condition it would be a shame to rod such a rare model. Then again there are a lot of rusty hulks that restorers would not touch and prime candidates and you may have some left over extra parts that the restorers would buy and help fund your projects.

Guest Rust is Gold
Welcome, you are among others afflicted with the autoholic problem. Discussions tend to stay in the stock original form, so you may get some hassle on the rat rod project. Not saying there are not a few closet rod people on board it's just the forums are owned and operated by AACA and their goals are to preserve not modify.

If you actually found a Edsel Villager in restorable condition it would be a shame to rod such a rare model. Then again there are a lot of rusty hulks that restorers would not touch and prime candidates and you may have some left over extra parts that the restorers would buy and help fund your projects.

Jim, I thank you for the welcome. I honestly didn't expect a whole lot of support here on the rat rod idea, lol, but I popped in anyway because I love them original just as much as anyone, and the Thunderbird will be restored to original spec, down to the paint. As a matter of fact, I probably shouldn't use the term 'rat rod' anyway for the Edsel. I want one that is that 'rusty hulk' to restore mechanically, and leave the body roached and drive it that way. I don't want to chop the roof, or lower the suspension, or 'soup up' the motor, either, because eventually, I'm sure I will give it a proper restoration, but I will drive it around 'roached' for a while, because I just love that look. I am a huge Edsel nut, and do not believe in modifying any car permanently. I will not do any modifications to a car if it can't be reversed.

Edited by Rust is Gold (see edit history)

Your Edsel project sounds like what I plan for redoing my 49 Crosley wagon. I did a mechanical restoration (body off) when I was in high school, but just did the minimum to the body because I wanted to get it on the road. Did the same thing in the mid 70s. Now it needs it agan and was thinking about doing it right, but keep telling myself it will not be my high school cruiser then, so I have decided to do the mechanical again for the 3rd time and just clean up the body and leave it a little ratty.

Guest Rust is Gold

There is something to be said for nostalgia. If that's how it was for you back in the day, who could blame you for wanting to hang on to it?

I see by your signature that you are a bit of a Crosley-phile. I am too, but the ones I collect sit on a shelf and play AM radio :)

If you are looking for a 63 BIRD there is one near you Shrewsbury Pa . My brother got it from me, It is a nice car rebuilt engine new seat covers plus other stuff! Runs great have had it on a few tours. kings32

Rusty;

Welcome to the AACA forum. I would like to invite you to another group also. The Pa Region of the Crosley Automobile Club has a very active chapter and you just may be interested in getting involved locally or nationally. The club concentrates on anything Crosley but we invite anyone who has an interest in other Crosley Products also. We have our National show in Wauseon Ohio every year the second Saturday in July and have a Non Automotive class just for radios and the like. The Pa region show is usually near Gettysburg in early August. If you have any interest check out our website www.crosleyautoclub.com . By the way, there is a guy near Kutztown that has a few Edsels. I can get a name and address if you like.

Guest Rust is Gold
Rust,

Welcome to our chapter of autoholics anomalous. I prefer the 1960 Edsel with the 223. Saw one last summer in Montana. Some of those other Edsels look a little overpowered.----Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. I love the look of the '60 model years, such style! To be honest, any engine would be OK with me, I just want one. Actually, I want more than one, but right now I am pretty short on parking spots.

Perfect name for a PA car owner, Rusty.

It is. My current driver is a 2003 Taurus, and the door bottoms, as well as the doglegs, are rusting out already. One of these days I will address that.

If you are looking for a 63 BIRD there is one near you Shrewsbury Pa . My brother got it from me, It is a nice car rebuilt engine new seat covers plus other stuff! Runs great have had it on a few tours. kings32

Hi, Kings. Soon, I could be interested, but as of right now, I am jumping between jobs and it's not the right time, but thank you for the info.

Rusty;

Welcome to the AACA forum. I would like to invite you to another group also. The Pa Region of the Crosley Automobile Club has a very active chapter and you just may be interested in getting involved locally or nationally. The club concentrates on anything Crosley but we invite anyone who has an interest in other Crosley Products also. We have our National show in Wauseon Ohio every year the second Saturday in July and have a Non Automotive class just for radios and the like. The Pa region show is usually near Gettysburg in early August. If you have any interest check out our website www.crosleyautoclub.com . By the way, there is a guy near Kutztown that has a few Edsels. I can get a name and address if you like.

Dave, thank you for the link, I will be sure to check it out. I like the Crosley autos, too, and wouldn't mind having one some day to tool around in. I may contact you at a later date about your Edsel friend.

Guest Rust is Gold
Rust and Kings, our shop is about 3 miles north of Shrewsbury. Stop in some time, we'll give you a 5 minute tour. Usually something of interest here.

Hi, Restorer. You must be almost in my backyard, what shop do you own?

Penn-Dutch Restoration Services. We've only been in business 35 years and haven't had a chance to get a sign up yet. Were just north of Shrewsbury along the Susquehanna Trail in an industrial park. Address is 100 Commerce Dr, Glen Rock but we're nowhere near Glen Rock. I can see I83 from my office. Phone is 717-515-8617.