37 Roadmaster gas tank repair options / thoughts

37_Roadmaster_C

Hello All,

I am in the process of restoring my fathers 37 Roadmaster Phaeton and need some thoughts on what to do with the gas tank. The tank is in fairly good shape except for a lot of rust inside and a loose baffle ratteling around. I do not get a warm feeling about simply cleaning and coating with any of the various pour and slosh options. I am thinking of carefully cutting the welded seams and seperating the tank to clean and repair the loose baffle, then having the tank zinc plated and then soldering the tank back togeather. I don't know if this is the best option or if others have a better idea... that is why I am asking. Any and all thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Robin

Just a thought: I have had great sucess with dropping a heavy chain into the tank, shaking it in all directions and then pouring in the sealer/coatings that are sold by places like Eastwood. The only problem at times are the baffles. Since yours is already disconnected, it would seem easier. The only problem is how to connect the baffle in the tank, once the inside is ready.

Didn't say I had the answer, just a thought.

Sorry I can't give a solution, maybe someone will take-off on this.

Guest Grant Magrath

Since the top of the tank can't be seen, why not cut an access panel in the top, and weld it up when you're done? Or rather, a radiator shop do it, I believe they fill the tank with an inert gas to prevent blow ups!

Cheers

Grant

I sent the gas tank from my 1930 Buick model 68 to Gas Tank Renu and was very pleased with the quality of their work. My tank was suffering from internal rust and a failed POR-15 job that had been attempted by a previous owner. They would normally need to cut it open anyway to get good access to the internal structure and that would give them the opportunity to repair the loose baffle. They will sandblast the interior of the tank and apply an excellent coating that is not negatively affected by gasoline or alcohol. If you choose this route, I'm sure you will be satisfied with the results

.Gas Tank RENU - USA

Thanks,

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

I completely rebuilt my 29 Buick gas tank with galvanized using only the original ends / filler pipe. On my Cord, I had Gas Tank RENU do it about 10 years ago and it's still holding. I would think that boiling it out at a rad shop would clean out all the rust but then you'd need cut open it somewhere to reattach the baffle and seal it. FYI. Bill McL