OT General question on getting something posted to Australia.

danhar1960

I just need to check something with the Americans on the forum.

I know we speak the same language but some parts on cars go by different names.

Just to put it in to context, this is a rather large company but has nothing to do with cars. It's a machine tool company.

If I was purchasing an item from you and asked to have it posted to Australia, would it generally be know what that means ??

I am trying (after many emails of painfully trying to extract the info I need to confirm that it's what I want) to have something posted to Australia and now I get a reply from the seller saying he doesn't know what "posted" means.

Any insights on this ??

Danny

Guest Foggy norm

Posted implies, putting a message on a board with a tack, or on a refrigerator with a magnet. Yup, you need something shipped, you need something mailed or, you need something UPS'ed..........mate!, hee hee

Make sure you ask what the cost will be if it is sent by USPS. It may seem to be a bit dear but it will be nothing like the other shippers (insert what ever description you like instead of shippers) will charge and I have always found USPS to be just as quick as the others.

I had a very small cardboard box that weighed about 1/2 a pound sent from NY to Brisbane, Aust. about 2 weeks ago and had no choice in the shipper so it came Fedex.

The freight charge was a mind bending $110.00. The contents cost $70.00<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Guest 37Packard

I've sold over 30,000 items on Ebay to people in over 40 countries including at least a couple of hundred items to people in Australia. They use the word "posted" there all the time just like the people in Europe and Canada do. Mailing an item that weighs half a pound either way should cost less than $20 and take about a week. That FedEx rate must have been for 2 or 3 day shipping. Like someone else said, make sure you ask what the cost of shipping will be BEFORE you make the purchase. It looks like you learned the hard way this time so my guess is you'll ask first next time....

OK, so this guy gets back to me and now says he doesn't do "COD", this after confirming 3 times previously that the item would have to be prepaid. I get that !!! In Australia that means "Cash On Delivery". What am I not getting here ??? What does "COD" mean in American ???

Danny

Edited by danhar1960 (see edit history)

Guest 37Packard
OK, so this guy gets back to me and now says he doesn't do "COD", this after confirming 3 times previously that the item would have to be prepaid. I get that !!! In Australia that means "Cash On Delivery". What am I not getting here ??? What does "COD" mean in American ???

Danny

It means Collect on Delivery here which means they may be able to pay with a check or credit card instead of cash but cash is accepted too....

If I may,,,,,There is so much knowledge here collectivly,,,What is it you need,,,Someone here probably has

gotten one from a reputable supplier

As for me,,Manhattan Supply Co in NY,,,The first company i have delt with that had a good computer,,back in the 60s

Oh yes,,,Google,,,,,MSC,,,as I think they are now known,,

Do you know Bernie over in Melbourne,,w/the '23 Packard,,I shipped a 23"wheel through the post office,,!!!

Cheers,,Ben

Hi Ben,

I did in fact find an alternative supplier. I emailed him and within the day had replied with the price and stated voluntarily that it would be "posted" by US Postal Priority and then quoted the price for such.

That's how to do business if you want to make a buck. He had my order within the hour. You'd think in this modern economy businesses would bend over to get your business.

Anyways, problem solved and thanks to all.

Danny

Do you know Bernie over in Melbourne,,w/the '23 Packard,,I shipped a 23"wheel through the post office,,!!!

Cheers,,Ben

Can't say I've had the pleasure (he sounds like a top bloke !! That's about the highest complement you can give a guy down here )

(Mind you, he is still one of those evil Melbournian southerners :) :) )

Danny

Danny,

Glad you were able to fill your needs elsewhere. I also want o apologize for the Yanks that might not know what "posted" means. While I had 25 years of my career in international business, I do not think if you were talking about sending something, it would not take much imagination to figure out what you were talking about. True "posting" may mean "tacking" a notice on a cork board, but there are many words we have with several meanings. My small dictionary does not have "mailing" as a definition of post, but I suspect an Oxford or other full dictionary one would have one. So, I hope if the company you were working with wants to do international business, they would learn the universal English terms.

John