1955 Interior questions

Paul Falabella

The interior of my Roadmaster has been reupholstered and some areas repainted. The interior code is 473. I can't find a paint and upholstery dealer book. Does anyone have a book that can be referenced for colors? Or a longshot, an original code 473 interior to get some pictures from?

Thanks in advance.

post-54093-14313920365_thumb.jpg

post-54093-143139203639_thumb.jpg

post-54093-143139203645_thumb.jpg

The painted parts are my main concern. I have seen this color green on other cars but not the two tone as on the heater control and radio grill. Also the the door panels appear to be at least partially repainted. I am sure SMS does fine work but the door panels are expensive and I'd hate to find out they were done in the wrong color.

The painted parts are my main concern. I have seen this color green on other cars but not the two tone as on the heater control and radio grill. Also the the door panels appear to be at least partially repainted. I am sure SMS does fine work but the door panels are expensive and I'd hate to find out they were done in the wrong color.

The darker color on the dash matches the upholstery and is probably correct. The bezels around the heater/vent controls and the radio grill are painted separately and either did not match originally or faded to a different color (just a guess). The steering wheel as pictured should match the darker green shade (opinion).

Willie

You would think that would be the case. But if you look at the center of the door panels,it is two toned with the lighter green matching the green of the heater bezels. The kicker, I think, is there is some dark green overspray on the doors, under the dash and cowl. I don't think these parts were painted after installation. They would have been painted in another area. If the dark green was done later, it was done with flex/add on the doors because it is stuck pretty good. I am going to have to keep looking for an upholstery book or an original code 473 interior. There is a website with lots of interior shots by code but not a 473.

• 2 weeks later...
The darker color on the dash matches the upholstery and is probably correct. The bezels around the heater/vent controls and the radio grill are painted separately and either did not match originally or faded to a different color (just a guess). The steering wheel as pictured should match the darker green shade (opinion).

Willie

The painted chrome on my interior has a different hue than the rest of the lower dash. I believe time has changed the color of the paint over the chrome.

I can understand that, but the heater control area and the speaker are definitely different greens. Not sure it came that way from the factory. That is why I'd like to see an interior book. The interior looks period but is not correct so maybe some panels were painted. Not sure if SMS has the original color schemes, or they would go by what is on the door panels now. Hate have them done and then find they are not like original when they could have been.

Taking another look at your photo, I see now what you are saying,

On your car, it seems the steering wheel color matches more closely to the heater controls and speaker grill.

Actually the lower dash appears to be both the colors you are pointing out. So are the door panels for that matter. That is what I am not sure about. Doesn't seem even back then the heater slides and speaker would masked and painted a different color. The door panels as well are appear to be painted later. And if you look at the rear quarter garnish that might be original faded factory Spruce Green. Thanks very much for the pics. I gotta get me one of those books. Does it show any shots of what was painted what? I think the fabric on my seats is from '57 or '58.

Edited by Paul Falabella (see edit history)

Does it show any shots of what was painted what?

The book has color chips that are the exterior colors. But, no reference for the painted areas of the interior. (my hunch is, the same paint and and paint names were used that closely match the color of the seats and bolsters)

I think the fabric on my seats is from '57 or '58.

In the book, there are swatches of the 'cordaveen ' (vinyl), nylon, and leather (for convertibles)

There is a cross reference of the interior codes with the material swatches' codes.

Although the color does closely match, that particular pattern in your car does not appear in my book. I agree that that pattern is from a later year than '55.

Actually the lower dash appears to be both the colors you are pointing out. So are the door panels for that matter. That is what I am not sure about. Doesn't seem even back then the heater slides and speaker would masked and painted a different color. The door panels as well are appear to be painted later. And if you look at the rear quarter garnish that might be original faded factory Spruce Green.

I agree.

I would bet that, the lower dash (including the door sills below the engine turn) were all originally painted the lighter Nile green (the color on your heater controls and speaker grill).

And also my bet, the upper dash and sills (upper sills for the front doors) were originally painted the darker spruce green.

Probably for the sake of convenience, the repaint was all done one color. (leaving the painted chrome pieces with the original paint, as most painters don't want to paint chrome)

Thanks very much for the pics.

I gotta get me one of those books.

Dad got this book some 35 years ago.

I've seen one other since then.

You're most welcome.

I'm very happy to share as much information from it as anyone wants or needs.

Edit:

We sent to SMS our interior code. SMS sent several swatches for us to confirm the order. Three of the swatches were the exact match for our car. The swatches that did not match our car, did however have exact matches with other swatches from the book.

I was most impressed with SMS's quality and color . And ten years later I am still impressed with the quality.

Edited by bhambulldog
add SMS info (see edit history)