Masking for chrome plating

Curti

When chrome plating vacuum windshild wiper motors it is necessary to mask off ceratin areas within the motor so plating does not throw.

Is there a particular kind of paint that will protect the potmetal from plating? Maybe there is a product specifically designed for this purpose. <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I will be interested in hearing what anyone says. I have a radiator that is made from brass which should have been made in german silver which I will need to get plated. I will not want the core or the back side plated. I was planning on painting those areas which I did not want plated but would like to hear from someone with experience. For a windshield wiper motor I suspect that the best thing to do would be to paint the parts you don't want plated with an easily removable paint. Lacquer would probably be the easiest for you as you could remove it quickly with lacquer thinner. Unlike you I will want the paint to stay on my radiator and will use radiator paint. I don't think that the plating process would do anything to the paint.

I'm not sure about a radiator or paint as some of the processes that the nickle plating goes through are a fairly hot acidic wash which would probably remove some types of paint. Ask your plater and see what he says.

I have had smaller parts plated in the past and have covered the areas that I wanted to be kept clean ( bolt threads, shafts etc.) by smearing them with non acidic Plumbers/builders silicone which is easy to peel off after the plating is done.

There is a blocking lacquer finish that is used on parts where you don't want plating.

However, most plating shops I deal with want NOTHING blocked that might contaminate a $20,000.00+ tank of plating chemicals.

A radiator tank would have to be removed before dipping it.

Curti, Plate the whole wiper housing and lightly sand or grind with small rotary tools (dremel drum sander, etc) of the mating surfaces or unwanted plating areas. If doing a TRICO Wiper motor, block sand the both mating flanges.

Owen: Kindly elaborate on platers tape with a product (brand name) and part number.

"Stop Off" looks like a useful product to know about, thanks for posting the feedback. <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Stop-Off | Brazing Aid | How to Prevent Flux Flow | Other Brazing & Soldering Products | Brazing & Soldering Products | Lucas-Milhaupt

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->