Need Input Please

Pizzamiglio

OK, so was finally able to get the interior out of the 65 this weekend. The floors have a LOT more rust damage than I was led to believe. I'm fairly certain I overpaid for the project, but that's ok. Before I get too deep into this though, I want to make sure it is not too huge of an undertaking. This is a father/son project - he is just starting to get into cars, and I really don't want to discourage him by taking on a project that will overwhelm him.

I would like to get input from some of the more experienced guys, as to whether this has too much rust damage to start a restore on. Here is a break down of what I have found so far:

Rear lower quarters - knew these were rusted before we bought the car. No issue

Front wheel wells - same thing; we knew these were rusted and are fine with it.

Passenger and driver footwells - need to be replaced

Rear seat bottom (passenger) and back (driver) - pretty sure these can just be patched

Under seat (passenger and driver) - this is the part that I am having issues with. On both sides the braces under the car where these pans sit are rotted out as well. I assume these braces would have to be fabricated and welded in before I can get the under seat pans in?

Trunk - possibly can just be patched

Based on this, I would imagine the best course of action would be to find a solid donor and just take the whole floor? Not sure that is a realistic option though, based on availability of parts? I guess my bottom line question is: Is the better course of action to look for a new, less rusted, body to start this project with, and just part this one out - or is the car in a savable condition, without incuring a huge additional expense in repairing the floor?

Thanks all.

:)

Mario

post-87950-143139167149_thumb.jpg

post-87950-143139166846_thumb.jpg

post-87950-14313916685_thumb.jpg

post-87950-143139166853_thumb.jpg

post-87950-143139166859_thumb.jpg

post-87950-143139166863_thumb.jpg

post-87950-143139166866_thumb.jpg

post-87950-143139166868_thumb.jpg

post-87950-143139166871_thumb.jpg

post-87950-143139166874_thumb.jpg

post-87950-143139166877_thumb.jpg

post-87950-14313916688_thumb.jpg

post-87950-143139166883_thumb.jpg

post-87950-143139166886_thumb.jpg

post-87950-143139166889_thumb.jpg

post-87950-143139167145_thumb.jpg

post-87950-143139167153_thumb.jpg

in my opinion your looking at alot of work just getting a solid foundation to the car.if you have to farm this work out its no longer a father and son project.i would look for more solid car-dont get in a hurry with money being as tight as it is today there out there.the one you have could be your parts car-i have one and its very convinent for spair parts of all kinds and for reference.youll have alot of other thing to do-interior-weatherstripping-carpet-checking wirring-shocks-springs-paint-etc.when your finished with doner car you can part it out to get some of your money back.hope this helps.t.nugent roa 12969.

Just going from your pics Mario - this example is just too far gone to restore, without a lot of expense, frustration and time consuming bodywork !! Look for a better example, with a solid rust free underbody and keep this one as a 'parts car', or part it out, to recoupe some of your expenses, as others have advised.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

Passenger and driver footwells - need to be replaced

Rear seat bottom (passenger) and back (driver) - pretty sure these can just be patched

Under seat (passenger and driver) - this is the part that I am having issues with. On both sides the braces under the car where these pans sit are rotted out as well. I assume these braces would have to be fabricated and welded in before I can get the under seat pans in?

Trunk - possibly can just be patched

Thanks all.

:)

Mario

There are aftermarket pieces for these things you've listed. Some take quite a bit of work to fit and become functional. The braces to which you referred are, as you surmised, not being reproduce. The whole thing is doable, albight difficult, if you can do it yourself. If you have to farm it out, it will be very costly. Take a look at the body mount cup that is under the trunk floor. It it's gone as well, there's no reproduction for it, and it would be pretty difficult to fabricate.

Ed

Mario,

Cut your losses and unload the car. Chalk it up to a lesson learned. For an enjoyable experience that has a much better chance of working out you need to start with a better car. It is a very COMMON mistake for folks to buy a car on emotion because its cheap thinking they can do the labor and fix it up then find out after its too late and too much money invested that its just not going to work.

You are already ahead of the game compared to others because you recognized and admitted the mistake quickly before investing more into it.

Wisdom says "Buy once, cry once". In other words you might cry over spending more money for a better car but will never regret (cry) about the decision as long as you own it because you bought well. Buy a turd and it will haunt you for years.

It sounds like the seller may have led you to believe it wasn't rusted that bad. Sometimes this happen because the seller isn't capable of knowing how to check for rust or perhaps they do it intentionally. Never ever trust what a seller tells you about rust. You need to take the time to poke around (literally) yourself.

When you find what you think is the right car, post info and pics here before you buy. Some guys on this forum have a sharp experienced eye and can guide you into a safer purchase.

Good Luck which ever way you decide to go!

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Thanks all for the confirmations. Looks like I will use this one for a parts car. The good thing is, it had plenty of options: custom interior, power antenna/mirror/antenna/seat/windows, tinted glass, etc. :)

@Jason - I purchased the car from another ROA member, who has done other Riv restorations - which was the only reason I didn't do as much background work as I should have. I dont believe he had any ill intentions when selling it though. I just think it may have sat a little longer than he remembered. :) But agree with you 100% about needing to do my own homework from now on, regardless of the seller.

Thanks again to all for the feedback. Have a great evening everyone.

Mario

Guest Steeleco

Different Prespective: Maybe the car is usable if you want to restore it for yourself but not expect it to have high value. Is it possible to have someone do what would be required to make the car safe like fabricating and welding the supports under the floor, then patch holes with inexpensive galvanized sheet metal and rivets like what is sold at Home Depot etc.? Just a thought.

The car is unusable and unsafe. A cosmetic restoration will never put the strength back into the rocker panels/body. It`s toast...nice parts car though, especially if you can get the motor running. But my first impression upon viewing the pics is that is why the car was parked in the first place, bad motor. Find a clean body, there are plenty left and they are relatively inexpensive, especially compared to your and your family`s safety,

Tom Mooney

The car is unusable and unsafe. A cosmetic restoration will never put the strength back into the rocker panels/body. It`s toast...nice parts car though, especially if you can get the motor running. But my first impression upon viewing the pics is that is why the car was parked in the first place, bad motor. Find a clean body, there are plenty left and they are relatively inexpensive, especially compared to your and your family`s safety,

Tom Mooney

Thanks Tom - I was hoping you would be able to give your thoughts. You are right; safety is my primary concern here. I am more than happy to turn this into a nice parts car - and working with my son to rebuild the engine will be a great project for him. :)

Thanks again to all - looks like I am in the market for a new Rivi. :)

Mario

as a side note on your side project. You will spend more on the rebuild than you will be able to sell it for, so only do this if you are looking for something to do and are bored. I am assuming you are not a professional engine builder giving a warranty, so most people are not going to pay you much for a unknown quality backyard engine rebuild. Your time would probably be better spent taking off/ cleaning up parts on the 65 you have for use on your new car or to sell if you don't need them.

Where are you located? I have been known to occasionally come across good deals and can keep my eyes open for you. Also, are you only interested in the best year Riviera made (65), or are you considering other "lesser" years? :>) NOTE to others, please take my last comment in jest, as it was meant by a 65 owner. :cool:

Hey Chris,

Sorry - did not mean we were going to do a full rebuild, just meant that we were going to try and get it running again. Basically using it to teach my son about engines. Hopefully we can get it to fire up and then we would sell it. I dont really mind if we take a loss on it, as long as he learns something from the project.

I am in the Washington DC metro area - thanks for keeping your eyes open for me. :) Right now, I am only looking at the 'best year Riviera made' - although the 66-67's are catching my eye as well. Hehe.