Drug home this 65 Riv parts car this weekend......

cjp69

in addition to the deluxe interior, pseat, pw, etc. listed on the cowl tag, also appears to have a posi rear, plus a wood wheel and 4 note horns. Once I saw those items, I knew I was going to end up dragging this thing home, even though I didn't need it.

post-40529-143139165963_thumb.jpg

post-40529-143139166217_thumb.jpg

post-40529-143139166223_thumb.jpg

looks like a pretty nice parts car-good parts to be had-my 63 parts car also has fred flinstone floorboards-still has some good parts.its realy nice to have for reference while putting my other 63 back together-things you think you wont forget how it goes back together-you do.t.nugent roa 12969.

Guest Steeleco

Seems like 1st gen Rivieras just grow on trees everywhere else but where I live in south Florida. I had to go all the way to Mississippi and pay $2000.00 for my parts car. It does run good and look pretty good now with the home made paint job and new interior i'm installing.

IMO it has too much rest to restore, but I am on the west coast, not the east coast, lol. There is rust through in the door jambs and top of door where it meets the a pillars, and also in the core support behind the grill, in addition to the floors and the dr side rear qtr. Haven't opened the trunk yet, but I am sure there will be some there as well.

Considering that you can find nice non GS 65's for under $20k, I think you would be totally upside in this one real quick, since it essentially needs everything. Haven't checked the frame, but its probably rusty too. But, I do have an extra 65 frame just waiting to go to the scrapyard.....

Safely home on the trailer, now I just have to figure out whether to sell it whole or part it out.

I'd scrub it up as best you can and try to sell whole. I'd have a hard leaving the horns on although that'd be quite a carrot to dangle to get a better price for it. Then if you can't get what you want go ahead and part it. Parting can be a pain in the rear......although its fun if you have the extra time with nothing else to do.

Midnight Aqua...rare color in 65....

Chris, if you decide to part-out....I want first dibs on the four-note horns.

Scott

LOL, I have gotten several messages like that in the last day regarding the horns and steering wheel, apparently they are in demand!

:)

Chris, if you decide to part it out, and it has power vents, I'd be interested in those parts, the AM/FM radio, the power seat, as well as other deluxe interior parts. Thanks.

Chris, I had to chuckle about your observation that cars delivered to Washington could have darned near every option EXCEPT A/C. I've got one too. Living in Idaho I have to say that although there are a few days of the year that I really miss the A/C, I can live without it. Biggest irritation at this time is trying to find a new heater control valve!

Keith,

Check the ROA website's Tech Tips for Jim Cannon's fix. He uses a later vacuum controlled water valve. Puts a T into one of the vacuum lines that controls how far an air door is opened. Opening it half way also opens your water valve half way. Pretty easy fix and can be made with readily available parts.

Ed

my valve does weep around the lever noticably in the summer when it's in the closed position.

If there's only a problem in the summer, put a manual shut off valve in the heater hose that goes to the heater core. No water - no leak. In the winter, open the manual valve. Here's a picture of one. The last time I bought one was for a friend when we were going to the ROA meet in AR in '05. He had driven from Denver to KC with the a/c coming from the vents and heat coming from the floor. A quick snip with some large shears, mounted with a couple of worm clamps, shut the valve and he was in business. As far as I know it's still that way seven years later.

870781741_260.jpg

We picked it up at O'Reilly's for less than $10.

Ed

I got the fully loaded twin of that car from Oregon. It was so rusted that not much could be saved. The seats even disintegrated when I tried to remove them. The PO took the power vents that I really wanted... :(

If you decide to part it, I may need the cathedrals if they are decent. Cool plate, a WA 63 plate number 064 on a '65 Riv. Nice!

Mike

I'd scrub it up as best you can and try to sell whole. I'd have a hard leaving the horns on although that'd be quite a carrot to dangle to get a better price for it. Then if you can't get what you want go ahead and part it. Parting can be a pain in the rear......although its fun if you have the extra time with nothing else to do.

Last car I parted out (also my first one parted out) hung around for close to a year and a half, and finally went down the road to make room for the Riviera. @$35/month for storage it was a losing proposition, but I bought it because there were a few parts I wanted, not becuase I wanted to part it out (just like this Riv). I don't enjoy working on cars, I enjoy finding them. :rolleyes:

I have always heard that its better (from a financial standpoint) to part a car out like this than it is to sell it whole, but IF I took the steering wheel off, and sold the rest of the car intact, what do you think its worth in 1 piece? Do you think anyone would have interest? I have a heard time imagining some one wanting to pay to ship this thing.....

I sold a 67 parts car once to a guy in the state of WA for $500 so you never know. He sent a carrier to get it and it was making its rounds picking up other cars across the country he bought. The car barely ran but that was the best of it. I actually backed that one up on the top deck of the carrier. Looking back that was a rather stupid thing to do especially since it barely would keep running and barely had brakes....but I digress.

Anyway if you pull the wood wheel, put another old wheel in its place. With the horns left on I'd take no less than $1500. Hopefully you don't have anywhere near that in it. I've seen restored sets of 4 notes with brackets and wiring sell for over $700 although I'm not sure they'd bring that in the current economy.....but they might! The limited slip axle will also be a good marketing tool for selling the car. See if you can figure out what ratio it is. If by some unlikely chance its a 3.42 you just hit the jackpot.

I always use scrap metal value as part of the equation on a parts cars value. Its probably worth $500 just in scrap at todays prices.

Before anyone says its worth more than that in parts remember they aren't the ones who have store the depleting carcass, create advertising, pack and ship parts to obtain those extra dollars. Parting a car on an individual basis can be a fun hobby while helping others in need but few who say you can make good money parting don't take into account all the hidden costs. I've parted a few including ones I've went out of state to get and still came out ahead but admit it was done more for the enjoyment.

I am not responsible for any controversial remarks as I have had no caffeine yet today.

I sold a 67 parts car once to a guy in the state of WA for $500 so you never know. He sent a carrier to get it and it was making its rounds picking up other cars across the country he bought. The car barely ran but that was the best of it. I actually backed that one up on the top deck of the carrier. Looking back that was a rather stupid thing to do especially since it barely would keep running and barely had brakes....but I digress.

Anyway if you pull the wood wheel, put another old wheel in its place. With the horns left on I'd take no less than $1500. Hopefully you don't have anywhere near that in it. I've seen restored sets of 4 notes with brackets and wiring sell for over $700 although I'm not sure they'd bring that in the current economy.....but they might! The limited slip axle will also be a good marketing tool for selling the car. See if you can figure out what ratio it is. If by some unlikely chance its a 3.42 you just hit the jackpot.

I always use scrap metal value as part of the equation on a parts cars value. Its probably worth $500 just in scrap at todays prices.

Before anyone says its worth more than that in parts remember they aren't the ones who have store the depleting carcass, create advertising, pack and ship parts to obtain those extra dollars. Parting a car on an individual basis can be a fun hobby while helping others in need but few who say you can make good money parting don't take into account all the hidden costs. I've parted a few including ones I've went out of state to get and still came out ahead but admit it was done more for the enjoyment.

I am not responsible for any controversial remarks as I have had no caffeine yet today.

Thanks Jason, I really appreciate the feedback! Selling it whole, in addition to all the things you mentioned, would also allow me to not have to try and figure out what the parts are worth! I can tell just based on the number of emails and PM's I have received that the cathedrals, steering wheel, horns and deluxe interior arm rest plate for the rear handles are in the biggest demand! There are a couple of local guys interested in parts, will have to see if they want enough to make it worthwhile to take it apart.

Wondering, if its a 3.07 posi like most, what are they worth? I ask becuase I have another posi rear from a 65, but haven't checked the ratio yet, but will try and make it to the shop and do that this weekend. Would be great if it was a 3.23 or 3.42, but I am not expecting that.

Chris,

If you part the car, or even if you pull a few non-essential items, I am interested in the rear license plate frame. If it has a front one I am interested in that also. Thanks,

Tom Mooney

I think from the pictures the rear is just a plain chrome one, the front one is from the original dealer (Huling Bros) and is pretty beat up.

post-40529-143139171049_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I am interested in the rear one. Please keep me in mind,

Tom

P.S. Thought cars did not get that rusty in your neck of the woods???

I am probably going to put the rear one on my 65, along with the license plate, depending on how it cleans up, as I don't have a period correct plate on there now.

They usually don't rust this bad, but sitting outside for 30 years will do that. Mostly from the bottom up though.

• 2 months later...