Baffle-grill to guard 2 pcs.

Deflector-gravel

Ornament- crossbar w/insert

Headlamp doors-2pcs. Hood Ornament

Rear:

Bumper- 3 pcs. Bar, 2 guards.

License lamp bezels-2 pcs.

Tailamp housing-2 pcs.

Back up lamp hsng(part of taillamp) 2 pcs.

Decklid handles-2 pcs.

Quarter panel lower trim-2 pcs.

Anyone have chrome work similar to this done? What should I expect to pay for such a job?

Got a couple of "ballpark" estimates and they seemed a little high from what I have read in other quotes.

I'll post the estimates after I hear a couple of customer numbers.

Could use some suggestions for chrome shops within 400 miles of NYC.

Anyone use Bar Plating in Conn.?

Librandis in Harrisburg PA did my chrome back in 2005 and I'm very happy with it. Folks on this site recommended them to me. Has held up very well, no issues getting into the recesses. My preference is Hexavalent chrome vs Trivalent. I can't comment on price - it is expensive and I wanted it done right. I also wanted some place I could drive to so the pieces could be hand delivered, I could see their shop, and discuss each piece with my concerns, then personally inspect each piece upon pickup before accepting. Learned from bad experience prior. I plan to take a couple more pieces to them this winter.

Librandi's Plating

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)

My ballpark over-the-telephone, not-seeing-the-actual-parts guesstimate, without any special prep (welding, dent removal, filling in diecast pits, etc.), with hexavalent chrome, and without shipping or expenses to get the parts there or back . . . . . $15K-$20K.

"Good work is not cheap . . . . . cheap work is not good"

Al Mack

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

I will say that Ken has given you a good place to go. And all other good advice. I had mine done at J and P plating. Welcome to J&P Plating. I was happy with their work. I had the bumpers and other "non-specialized" work done at a local bumper shop for MUCH LESS than anybody else quoted me and it turned out fine. I think they sent it to Mexico, so I probably got extra hazardous chrome. :) I did all of those parts about ten years ago and spent more in the $5k range. Unfortunately, like everything else, you get what you pay for, and with tightened environmental restrictions it all costs more now.

Librandi's is one of the places under consideration. Would like to drive with the pieces. Seems like the NE is a little higher priced than out west or south. I'm reading 3,4,5 hundred to do a bumper.A grand or so for two bumpers. But Colorado and Alabama are a little too far.(evan though the car used to live in Al.)

Thanks for the compliment Paul. Your car looks sharp as well and you will, and are, getting solid advice from many mid-50s Buick owners on this board. No matter how deep you get in one or more of us have been there and can get you out. My lessons learned to pass on was to have the management inspect with me my areas of concern - those being the recessed areas in the front bumper (they look like vents cut in on the left and right sides), the recessed area along the length of the back bumper, the top of the reverse lamp housing where it meets the base of the tail lamp, and the recessed areas inside the trunk ornament. My portholes were re-pro and are holding up well. I also scribed my initials in all my pieces. All I will say is my first newbie chrome experience was an expensive lesson in malcontent, and any recessed area either discolored or peeled within a few years, and it was wavy to boot. During my visit at Librandis they took the time to explain their process to me and what they would do different to ensure my past problems would not be repeated. Then I drug them through it again on pickup, inspecting each piece closely. While I probably drove them crazy my money was better spent on a shop that paid attention, took pride in their work and was confident enough to spend time convincing me. And I didn't have to worry about it getting lost in shipping/receiving. Yeah - that happened the first time too! Good luck. Hey - how far are you from the Plainview area? Some old friends of mine are down that way.

Deja vouz all over again. I had an experience with Qual Chrome in Fla. in the 80's restoring a 41 Super. Had them do the whole car. Did not get to some parts for several years. When I unwrapped them they were peeling and had surface rust. Just some but I was pi$$ed!

Librandi's quoted ballpark 7K for my whole laundry list. Not including the goldtone stuff(they say it's real gold and not cheap!). No one has a bad thing to say about them and they are about 4 hrs from here. I am convincing myself as I type!.

Bronx boy here, in Nassau county now. About 20 mins(no traffic.....never no traffic) from Plainview. Do they have a L/F door remote for sale?

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I would say this gentleman is quite close. I work at Lakeside Custom Plating in Conneaut Ohio. I haven't seen many get more then that. Give me some individual parts and an email and I can give you individual prices. Email is lakeside@suite224.net. I got pics from happy customers on my pictures if you would like to see the work. We also have a video online that shows the process.

My ballpark over-the-telephone, not-seeing-the-actual-parts guesstimate, without any special prep (welding, dent removal, filling in diecast pits, etc.), with hexavalent chrome, and without shipping or expenses to get the parts there or back . . . . . $15K-$20K.

"Good work is not cheap . . . . . cheap work is not good"

Al Mack

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by Hello (see edit history)

Yeah... well that $ 15,000 is just about what the whole car would be worth if he had to sell it now in today's U. S. Neoliberal economy. But if money is no investment, then dive in.

I would say this gentleman is quite close. I work at Lakeside Custom Plating in Conneaut Ohio. I haven't seen many get more then that. Give me some individual parts and an email and I can give you individual prices. Email is lakeside@suite224.net. I got pics from happy customers on my pictures if you would like to see the work. We also have a video online that shows the process.

Yeah... well that $ 15,000 is just about what the whole car would be worth if he had to sell it now in today's U. S. Neoliberal economy. But if money is no investment, then dive in.

I was at Hershey last week, and that 58 Buick done properly is worth more and selling more then 15000. I can not see yours, or speculate on the quality of yours, but I can tell you with complete confidence that our chrome plating will definately raise the value of the car past what the investment is. My father just went out, last year, and bought a $2,900, 1949 chrysler windsor with original everything. I took it to my shop, did the chrome and took third place in it's class at the mopar nationals in pennsylvania. There was alot of competition, all with old original chrome. Not one with original chrome even placed. If you wish to get the individual prices, I could send them to your email. If you are only concerned with resale value in this economy, then rechroming every piece on your car might not be the right decision.

The Color is BFF

Dover White

Colonial Blue

Colonial Blue (colonial Blue is a spring '55 offering not found on '55 paint charts the name was changed in '56 to cadet blue)

Repaint of the factory colors.

The interior is a mix of original (original seat backs and headliner) and reproduction by SMS [seat covers are SMS] (I Highly recommend SMS)

The trunk was re-upholstered with a non-Roadmaster fabric thirty years ago.

The window sills and the trim around the windshield has been chromed and a dress up kit of chrome valve covers and spark plug covers (all were painted from the factory)

Untitled_zps46089450.jpg

DSCN0143-1.jpg

DSCN0142-1.jpg

DSCN0141.jpg

DSCN0147.jpg

DSCN0015.jpg

I was at Hershey last week, and that 58 Buick done properly is worth more and selling more then 15000. I can not see yours, or speculate on the quality of yours, but I can tell you with complete confidence that our chrome plating will definately raise the value of the car past what the investment is. My father just went out, last year, and bought a $2,900, 1949 chrysler windsor with original everything. I took it to my shop, did the chrome and took third place in it's class at the mopar nationals in pennsylvania. There was alot of competition, all with old original chrome. Not one with original chrome even placed. If you wish to get the individual prices, I could send them to your email. If you are only concerned with resale value in this economy, then rechroming every piece on your car might not be the right decision.

BTW: It's a 55 Buick & mostly unrestored.

I would assume since the chrome is on the wish list this is where he is starting at. You can't poke up dollar desire by chroming over that of demand in general.

The judges at your event were on the drug called "Full Restoration". Those are the potato chip thin, feed-lot fed lot, who believe nothing has value unless it is new and shiny and thus the gold chains and oversized watches dangling from their wrists. Unrestored vehicles with "Full Survivor" bragging rights are gaining in value as we speak daily. Because they are by definition, Rare. They should not of allowed "Shiny New" onto the field with them in the same judging event or class.

I think I remember seeing your car in an ad. Did your car come from around Montgomery, Alabama?

The fellow advertising it was in Huntsville. The car was in Taft, Tenn. The car has a dealer script Morgan Bros. Selma. Can find no reference to that dealer, assume they are gone a while. Car was ordered with about every option except a side view mirror, which I just put on.