Here's a part for those '36 & '37 guys

1936 D2

It's not so much the rarity of the parts as it is the greed of the sellers. This part usually sells for around $50. -$100.. We'll never overcome greed in this hobby because there are too many people with too much money who are willing to pay these exorbitant prices. Just look at some of the auction prices!

I realize that there are a few out there that can pay anything for the parts they need (Jay - are you listening?) BUT the problem is, that vendors (especially this guy) recognize this situation, look at the price they would be happy with selling it for - then DOUBLE IT! This guy is also selling - what looks like a set of five hub cap mounting springs (springs mind you) for $49.99. But then when you read the ad closely that money is JUST FOR ONE!

But then there will be some goof out there that will pay that kind of cash!

A lot of times these cars are being restored by a professional shop that considers time to be money (not like us) so they will spend ANYTHING on a part to keep the project moving. They then transfer those costs to the "deep pockets car owner" who would pay almost anything to get the job done "professionally and fast"! Almost none of these "deep pocket" guys want to take the time and learn about the car themselves and do the work themselves. If they did I think they would have a better appreciation as to what time, effort, cash, blood and tears go into these old cars.

So the big parts vendors like this guy, take their excessive profits and go buy the limited amount of NOS stock they can find (or comes to them). We will never have a chance to buy the stuff, even IF we hear about it, because the greed follows all of this. I think us average guys are screwed because of all this. We will hardly ever get NOS parts anymore. :( :mad:

I have met some very nice (but few and far between) people out there that sell small numbers of NOS stuff they have for "normal" yet profitable prices. And some of those people have become good friends. Too bad though, I will never be friends with the subject of this thread. He doesn't care about me.

Not too get off track but there is a certain part on e-bay that we just had a discussion about not long ago and it looks like its in pretty good shape and is original. I dont like to post the number because I dont want to spoil it for anyone here but hopefully you 36 owners are aware and someone snatches it

I am pretty sure it isnt hard to figure out what part I am talking about

i seen a listing somewhere for reproduction windshield regulator it was 320 dollars versus this one which i beleive is NOS . the seller has been trying to sell this for i think 6 months without anyone buying it. the last one i seen on there sold for 200 dollars although it was used. i seen alot of these that didnt work anymore or was missing. i even had to find one for my truck which wasnt to easy to do for a price i was willing to pay which wasnt anywhere near what this seller is asking

Jen

And THIS seller doesn't care! If it doesn't go after a few rounds on eBay this time, he will just put it back in stock AND SIT ON IT. Then, after about 6 months, will bring it out again. But NOT at a lower price, considering 382 people either viewed or "watched" it. NOOOoooo, he will ADD 30% and try again! Just watch! :mad:

And THIS seller doesn't care! If it doesn't go after a few rounds on eBay this time, he will just put it back in stock AND SIT ON IT. Then, after about 6 months, will bring it out again. But NOT at a lower price, considering 382 people either viewed or "watched" it. NOOOoooo, he will ADD 30% and try again! Just watch! :mad:

You're dang right they don't care about anybody, witness their return policy. NO RETURNS. My wife bought me a part from them as a present, turned out to be wrong, too bad for us, no returns. And she paid a premium price. THESE MORONS SUCK! :mad:

You're dang right they don't care about anybody, witness their return policy. NO RETURNS. My wife bought me a part from them as a present, turned out to be wrong, too bad for us, no returns. And she paid a premium price. THESE MORONS SUCK! :mad:

What part did your wife buy you that was not correct?

What part did your wife buy you that was not correct?

It was a taillight ring for a 35-36 Dodge. Ours fit the taillight bucket by snapping into the inside rim on the bucket. The one we bought had no such rim to fit into the bucket. The photo in the ad was a one dimensional shot, not showing there was no inner rim. I don't know how this piece could be functional, other than gluing it to the existing trim ring. She also thought the price was for a pair, one was $80.00! Thankfully we didn't get two, we would have been stung for $160.

Steve, That is just maddening. I would take this matter up with E-bay, even though the jerk seller said "no returns'.His poor photo, a third party buying it for a present, etc... I think you may get some satisfaction if you ask. If you notice, his items say they are covered by E-bay Buyer Protection Plan. Good up to 45 days of purchase. Click on that and see what I'm talking about. I, for one will NEVER buy from these guys if they can't describe their parts well enough. Good luck,--- Pete.

Edited by Pete K. (see edit history)

Steve, That is just maddening. I would take this matter up with E-bay, even though the jerk seller said "no returns'.His poor photo, a third party buying it for a present, etc... I think you may get some satisfaction if you ask. If you notice, his items say they are covered by E-bay Buyer Protection Plan. Good up to 45 days of purchase. Click on that and see what I'm talking about. I, for one will NEVER buy from these guys if they can't describe their parts well enough. Good luck,--- Pete.

Thanks for the reinforcement, Pete. I just learned from 1936 D2 that this part goes on a '36 sedan delivery and this rig has a taillight completely different than the cars! I guess it's just caveat emptor. I see the old car community as a brotherhood, goodwill and all that stuff. I guess there's going to be brothers you just wan't to punch instead!:P

best to deal with car guys and not treasure hunters, these are the guys that find a part and just want to "stic- it" to a regular guy just trying to restore a car, let them keep their over priced parts, and continue the hunt,,,you will stumble onto someone who will treat you right,and not try to gough you a need "rear end"........