old garage?

adam1982

It may be a storage garage. My father as a young man(in the early 20's) worked in a garage in Buffalo NY, as I remember it was the Acme Garage, and located downtown. His job was to bring the cars out of the storage area, wash, clean the interior,and check tires and lubes. These customers were the apartment dwellers whom lived downtown without the benefit of personal or one car garages. They came and drove them off, used them and brought them back to be stored again. Each time the clean procedure was repeated even if only a time lapse of a day. Also he said hired livered(sp) chauffers occasionally picked them up and returned them. It looks like that kind an operation to me. --Bob

Bob has got it right. In addition they would in the early days remove the battery to be charged and drain the gas. Fire safety was a BIG concern. When you wanted the car you would let them know in advance or have a set schedule so they could replace the battery, fill the tank and have the car either ready at their door for your arrival or deliver to you. This was not for us of the working class, this was for the affluent before income tax.

Layden,affluent, yes! There were no Fords,Maxwells, or Hupmobiles in the above photo. In Buffalo, my father drove a lot of expensive autos Pierces, Packards, and Cadillacs to name a few. But it was only from the 2nd & 3rd floor down the elevator to the wash bay and then to the pick up area. They were short trips but at eighteen years old he loved it.--Bob

Guest miss68xr7

I am in favor of the taxi company, based on the sign and the number on the back of the car below. and guys looking ready in front of their cars. There is a sign in the background, my best guess is mound hotel, St. Louis used to be nicknamed mound city, maybe it is from there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...