What finish is on silver dash parts for 1937 Roadmaster?

Mutt's37Buick

1) Can anyone tell me what type of silver finish is on a 1937 Buick Roadmaster dash trim.

I'm talking about the silver chrome looking grill over the speaker, bezel around the gauge cluster, and vertical trim that divides dash into sections.

2) In order to restore these parts to original look, will they need to be refinished or can they be polished?

I attached a picture of my dash and a restored dash for reference.

Thanks

post-74328-143139140233_thumb.jpg

post-74328-143139140261_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mutt's37Buick (see edit history)

Chrome polish and steel wool will clean them up but if the chrome has deteriorated nothing will fix it other than new chrome. Contrary to what many think you can't actually polish chrome, it's way too hard for that. Best you can hope to achieve with polish is to clean the surface thoroughly and remove any oxidation.

Thanks for the guidance.

Flyer15015, Nice to hear from someone in Colorado. Do you ever display your 40 in local car shows where I could see it?

Grandpa, On the picture you posted there is some sort of gauge/control to the left of the instrument cluster.

Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks

Mutt: Grandpa's picture is from a 38 Roadmaster. The "guage" you see is an ashtray. 38 Buick ashtrays were not finished the same as the rest of the instrunment panel. In your original posting of your instrument panel, the "restored" picture you attached is that of a Series 40 and it has been painted- not restored to the original wood grain. Go to www.1937and1938Buicks.com and click on Torque Tube on the left hand side. These issues of the original 1937-1938 Buick Club publication are packed with info on proper instrument panel refinishing for your car.

Here are photos of a '37 ( I believe Roadmaster) taken at the 2011 BCA National meet in Danvers. I'm not sure where the owner got the dash artwork done but this pattern was a correct option for '37. I'll let other comment on the coloring.

DSC00354.pdf

DSC00355.pdf

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)

post-74328-143139143129_thumb.jpg

1) Was woodgrain like the picture Grandpa attached an option in the 37 Roadmaster?

Oddly, I think I can see wood grain beneath where the radio plate was installed, but most of dash was a brown.

My dash does have the laced pattern shown on Brian's post, as you can see on left hand picture in post 1

From my car and restored pictures I've seen, the 37 Roadmaster had white and green gauges with red numbers. Not grey like picture Brian posted.

2) Is that correct, or were there different color options?

post-74328-143139143126_thumb.jpg