1920's car tire issue

Guest Lyndell54

Guest Lyndell54

I recently bought new tires and tubes from Coker tire for my 1928 Chrysler, unfortunately they do not supply the liners that go between the tube and the rim. Does anyone out there know where I may obtain these? Thank you

I recently bought new tires and tubes from Coker tire for my 1928 Chrysler, unfortunately they do not supply the liners that go between the tube and the rim. Does anyone out there know where I may obtain these? Thank you

If you mean a rim tape or flap you may be able to get them from a motorcycle dealer. I'm surprised Coker doesn't have them.

Guest oakland
I just bought new tires, tubes, and flaps from Universal Tire in Hershey, PA for the 20-inch rims on my '29 Cadillac. They should have them in stock. I think they were around $25 each.
Do you really need these liners? I have a 29 Oakland for the last 32 years and my tires do not have them. I never had any trouble with the tires or tubes, except the tires have cracks along the outside due to age. I recently purchased a set of Lester white walls, which arrived yesterday. I am going to install them and not use these liners. Am I wrong?

Do you really need these liners? I have a 29 Oakland for the last 32 years and my tires do not have them. I never had any trouble with the tires or tubes, except the tires have cracks along the outside due to age. I recently purchased a set of Lester white walls, which arrived yesterday. I am going to install them and not use these liners. Am I wrong?

You don't need them if your rims are smooth inside. Wire spoke wheels with the spoke nipples, or wood spoke wheel with the ends of the spokes protruding need something to keep the inner tube from chafing and getting a hole.

Guest martylum

Lyndell-The rim liners are called flaps and are sold by Coker and other tire vendors for early car inner tube protection. Perhaps you talked with a salesperson who wasn't flap savvy.

Martin Lum

My understanding is that rim liners and flaps are subtly different. Rim liners are laid on the base of the rim frequently with adhesive and often before the tire is mounted. Flaps although they do protect between the tube and rim, also extend up the tire sidewalls between the tube and tire.

I always thought that a liner was the narrow rubber band that covered the ends of the wire spoke nipples and protected the tubes from friction against the wheel. Flaps were wide and thick and protected the tube from friction against the rim.

Guest oakland

My Oakland wheels are two piece. You have the wooden spoke hubs and then you have an outer rim that comes off of the spoke hubs. This outer rim is where the tube and tire mount to. The inside of this is smooth. It attaches to the hub via 4 lugs.

Oakland, I think Lyndell54 is talking about metal spoked wheels not clincher type rims. I just took my wheels off my Durant to restore them and took them all apart. With the Clincher metal rim the tire and tube mount to it and they do not touch the end of the wooden spokes. On Clincher type rims I seen no need for a liner.