'25 Cowl Lights

MikeC5

I need to get the trim rings re-plated for the cowl lights but how do you get the lens out of them? The ring appears to be a 2 piece design with the outer part you see is brass and inner part, steel. Has anyone had any success in separating the two without destroying either piece? Or is it possible to mask the glass and re-plate as-is (and what should be used for masking?)

Mike

I managed to remove the steel inner rings by deforming them and then reshaping. They need to come out because of the rust thereunder. The pair of lights was subsequently passed on to Mike Kaiser (on this board) as I decided not to use them. He may be able to comment on the re-assembly process after plating. However, I would have assumed that they would have pressed back together relatively easily. Some form of rust preventative at this point would also be a good idea, given the galvanic action between the brass and steel, regardless of the plating. Some fish oil perhaps?

Tony

Mike, good luck with those cowl lights. They are a real pain. I just wanted to add sort of a side line here about part of your question. I also restore many antique coin operated machines. When I send certain parts to my plater with instructions where I may not want the plating to go on a section of a part, he uses masking tape! For example, I sent a group of special slot-less steel screws to him, I didn't want the threads nickel plated, only the heads. He did a great job, I got them back with the masking tape still on the screws. It came right off easily and there was no plating on the threads. I would imagine glass wouldn't even need the tape? I don't know.

Hi Mike, I took mine apart by deforming the inner steel ring(as Tony did).They have been re-plated but not together yet...pressing back together should be no problem.I had two problems with not taking them apart...plating chemicals could be trapped between causing more rust and possible leeaching out ruining the new plating.Also without coming apart you cannot clean the entire inside of the glass.On mine I could see the rust/corrision/crud from the outside,on the inside of the glass.Would have made the restoration pointless.Bill

That is, no doubt, the correct way to go about it Bill. I'll have to work up the nerve to try it. Did anyone notice the buckets for these were nickel plated? Mine were painted black but there was (what looks like) nickel plate. Seems a bit odd to paint over it. Did the factory do this?

Mine also are nickel plate under the"factory" black paint (base metal is brass).My guess would be they were plated to give the inside some reflectivity.Unlike the headlights or tail light for that matter there is no reflector in the cowl lights.An evening at the work bench and you'll have them apart. Hey Mike your an engineer..I'm just a retired accountant..lol

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to pulling these apart with a thin screw driver and a pencil torch. I bent the steel rings up pretty good but was able to straighten them up somewhat. It's difficult to get them out because the OD of the steel ring is actually a bit larger than the ID of the small aft bevel on the brass trim ring. I don't like the idea of having to re-solder these things in after chrome. Heat will discolor the chrome wont it?