Windshield Trim?

MikeC5

I'm making the patterns for getting my new windshield glass cut. One of my worries about re-installation in what sort of trim/rubber is used to actually fit the windshield into the frames. My upper windshield had a u-shaped thin metal piece surrounding the glass (except on bottom edge) and under that was a sort of black tape looking stuff. The lower frame, which I had to purchase separately, had nothing in the frame. Has anyone dealt with this recently? Am I SOL without this U channel? Anyone know where I can get it or a modern equivalent?

Mike, What you need is called glass setting tape. The original was a fabric backed cork material but most of it is off the market now. The modern version is an unlive rubber tape and now there is also a fabric backed rubber being made. Most "good"glass shops carry setting tape and it comes in several thicknesses to provide a friction fit between the glass and channel. To determine what thickness you need measure your glass thickness(std. laminated glass is about 1/4in.) then measure the width of the channel on the frame. Subtract the glass thickness from the channel thickness and you will have the size of tape you need. For many winshield frames a .060 thickness will work. Restoration Specialties in PA (814-67-9842) also carries setting tape(they may still have some of the cork material left) and they also have the newer fabric backed rubber which will be a little stronger. I recommend using a lubricant like soapy water when installing glass. If you are painting your frame I would also recommend installing the glass and reassembling the frame prior to painting as the glass can sometimes be difficult to install in 2 pc. frames. Hope this helps ! JIm

mIke

yes you need the glass setting tape but what you also describe is that U shaped thin metal channel that the glass and the tape inset to before you place in the windshield channel. I was never able to find it although I think now it may be available from Snyders who specialize in Model T parts. It was as i remember pricey. Also if you post or PM me the measurements I may have some left over

bob

Thanks guys. I did get some tape from Meyers but I was afraid that U-channel stuff would still be needed. Measurements are 8 & 3/4 (x 2) + 38" for upper and roughly 7 (x 2) + 42" for bottom (112" total). The stuff at Snyders is $90 for the '23-'25 T but I'll have to check on measurements (width especially). The earlier years are much more expensive; not sure why. If you do have some extra Bob, please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, if the glass man says it just won't work without the metal channeling, or you want it anyway, try "Johnson Bros. Metal Forming Co." out in Ill. they can make ANYTHING out of any type metal too. They specialize in channeling. I don't know the cost, as we all know, can get pricey sometimes. I'm not sure if Snyder's Model T channeling is exactly what the Dodge used, but if it's very close, that's OK too. I'll bet anything he gets his from Johnson Bros. They seem to be the largest mfg. plant for channeling in the country. They have a GREAT website, the ph.# is;(708)-449-7050.---Just my 2 cents on this--Pete.

Mike

the channel serves a purpose to cushion the glass in a soft metal surround. I hope your glass guy knows what he is doing. I did not check the PM sorry I did not get back to you

bob

My 1923 Tourer does not have the metal trim.

I used clear plastic tube split down the center to isolate the glass from the frame. I used pieces about one inch long every so often pinched around the glass then slid the glass into the frame. I then used a 3mm cake decorating piping tube and ran a bead of black silicon all the way around the frame and glass to emulate the original metal edging.

Been working perfectly for twenty years and thousands of miles.

Mike

I used a rubber U section to replace the cork-lined brass channel in my 1925 roadster. This section is made by Spectrum Rubber in Sydney, is a perfect fit and relatively cheap. Unfortunately, Spectrum are hopeless with their mail order sales. You are better to deal with their agent Scotts in Melbourne www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au . Have a look on their website - the product number is 214 860 (3.2 metre length). You can email them for a price.

Hope this helps.

Tony