1st Gen Screws,Nuts Bolts and Grommets

Guest 1963 Riviera

Guest 1963 Riviera

Hi All,

I am just over half way of redoing the entire cabin of my 63 and along the way I have found Screws, Nuts Bolts and Grommets either missing, rusted or replaced with non uniform ones

Is there anywhere I can get a list or diagram of original sizes and what goes where ?

A BIG SHOUT OUT TO EVERYONE RESTORING THEIR BABY TO FORMER GLORY !!!

Nick,

There were 25 views on your thread before I replied. Bascially that's telling you "No, there's not a list." The best you can do is find one that you think is correct then find some to match that one.

Mr. G's USA makes some kits, but he hasn't put one together (yet) for a Riviera. He probably would/could if he could find an original car to go through and make a list. Perhaps that might happen someday, but for now, it's only a wish. But, he does have the correct ones once you've identified them

Mr. G's Enterprises - Screw Kits

Ed

I visited with the guy who runs Mr. G.'s now (the original owner's son) the last time I was up in Ft. Worth. He would LOVE to put together a first generation screw, bolt, nut and fastener kit. But he wants one of us First Gen Riv Owners to give him the inventory of what should be in the kit. No small task!!!

I might do it some day. Don;t hold your breath!

Guest Rob J

My car was totally original when I took it apart. I have all the original screws bagged and tagged, so I too should help in aiding that list.

Guest 1963 Riviera

HI ALL,

HERE is a copy of the reply from Mr G's regarding my enquiry .

I do not have the information to make that kit. We did a 63 Buick Le Sabre 4 door. The screws for like items like dash bezel screws should be the same for that model. However the screw count could be different number of screws. The same goes for other items like sill plate moulding. You make have seat side mold that the 4 Dr does not have, etc.

If you choose to buy that kit, we would be glad to work with you to add or subtract the right number of screws for your model. Or if you have the original screws you could send me one of each with a list of how many and where they go. I would be glad to add the correct screw kit to our list. We would send our catalog CD with your order. The PDF pictures in the Fastener catalog will print out 100%. So you could print the page of screws you feel look like your original screw, then you could lay your original screw on the picture to determine any screws you have that I don't have in the 63 Le Sabre kit.

It is hard for me to find Riviera Cars in salvage yards to research to make new kits. And since we have over 1000 kits, I stay pretty busy dealing with what we have. I cannot rely on cars in car show as many screws would have been replaced. I learned that early on. I could not find a un restored Challenger in my limited searches. I happened to be set up near real nice one at the Mopar Natls., in the swap meet area. I ask if I could pull a few screws if I was careful and put them back as they were. He said sure. Well there were 4 different screws in the sill plate mold and 3 different screws in the pillar mold. At least I got the screw count but I could not rely on the correct screws from that car. That taught me the salvage cars were my best bet on finding originally. If the screws are old and even rusty, then they are probably original. But the salvage yards crushed those large heavy models as they brought more money than the small light weight cars.

Don't forget to check out our other thousands of auto fasteners, you might need for your car.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Mr. G's Enterprises

Glenn Garrison

5613 Elliott Reeder Rd.

Fort Worth, TX 76117-6013

phone: 1-817-831-3501

fax: 1-817-831-0638

email: mrgs@mrgusa.com

Web: www.mrgusa.com

Fellow Riv Owners;

As we speak, I'm in the process of disassembling a virgin '63 Riviera. I've talked with Glenn at Mr.G's and he's told be which screws he needs to make a kit for the 1st generation Rivieras. I should be completed with the cataloging and identifying of these screws by the end of the week. I'll be sending these screws with their ID to Glenn right after that.

This will be everything you'll need for a '63 that you'll see if you open the door and look in all directions. I also have my '64 in the garage but it's already torn apart and some of the screws I removed are not OE, I'm sure of this because of some mods the previous owner did. I do not have access to a '65. That's where you guys come in. I know there are different screws (4) needed to attach the shifter cover to the console. If any of you have a '63/'64 AND a '65, I'd appreciate it if you would see if there are any other differences between the screws in those cars and let me know. If it's just the '65 shifter cover screws, I need to have an example, or an excellent description of the same, so I can include it and differentiate it for Glenn. Any help with this will be appreciated. I'll let you know what Glenn tells me after I've contacted him and advise him that the screws are on the way.

Just so you know, the screw kits you get from Glenn are pretty simple. If the same sized screw is used to attach the coat hanger that is used to attach the glove box liner, you'll get a bag with all screws that same size and a list in the bag that tells how many of each of the screws are used in different locations.

I'll also let you know after talking with Glenn if he can do a kit for each year, or if he'd rather do one kit for 63 - 65. If he prefers this way, depending on what year you have, you might have a couple of extra screws in your kit. I don't know if it would be cheaper to make one kit for all three years or if it will cost him the same to do a kit for each year. Any opinions on this? Let me hear from you.

Someone let me know about the '65 shifter cover screws and any other differences that you might encounter.

Ed

PS - let me know if you need anything from this parts car. I'll see if it's any good. It's been sitting without an engine in the same place for 20+ years. If you'd like a lifetime warranty for a Midas OE style muffler, let me know; there's one in the glove box.

My parts car is equipped with the custom interior. I've gone through both my body and chassis manuals and I found illustrations for both the standard and custom arm rests. I imagine that both use the same screw in the arm rests. I'll make sure that I count the number needed for each type of interior and tell Glenn the larger number needed. For those with which ever car has the least number of screws needed, that person will wind up with a couple of extra screws.

There are probably too many variables to create a kit for every opton. My manual shows a different arm rest end plate for power windows and manual windows. But it looks like only the plate is different, not the size, number, or placement of the screws. Hopefully what I come up with will suffice for 95% of what everyone will need.

As I was going through the manuals, I came across a couple of options that are not on my parts car that will require some help from others on this forum. Those two items are 1) the screws that mount the cruise lever to the dash, and 2) the screws that mount the remote trunk release to the glove box. I also need to know 3) what size screw holds the arm rest to the door panel on a standard interior. Any help would be appreciated. All I need to know is if these screws match any other screws located anywhere else on the car. I'm doing what I can, but without a standard interior car, I can't do it alone.

Anyone?

Thanks again, Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest Gseago

Thanks end for getting this started. I'm going to upgrade my 64's standard interior to a deluxe interior.It will probable be the weekend before I get a chance to check out on the screws. If it'll help I'll email pic to you or even you can make sure they're returned to me I'll send them to you. My interior is all original as far as I can tell.

I only need the screws for the cruise, remote trunk release, and standard interior arm rest. I can't promise that they'll be returned because I need to send them to another person. The best way to do it would be to see if they match other screws somewhere in the interior. Just tell me what they match.

Thanks,

Ed

Guest Gseago
I only need the screws for the cruise, remote trunk release, and standard interior arm rest. I can't promise that they'll be returned because I need to send them to another person. The best way to do it would be to see if they match other screws somewhere in the interior. Just tell me what they match.

Thanks,

Ed

I'll contact you this wkend.

Gentlemen;

I just got off the phone with Glenn, the "G" in Mr. G's Enterprises. I told him that there was a package headed his way.

Over the last couple of days, my step-son Adam, and I have gone through the '63 parts car that I acquired and pulled all of the "visible" interior screws. I taped one of each kind of screw to a 3" x 5" index card, wrote a description of it on the card, totaled how many were needed, and put the card with attached screw in a sandwich bag. In all I totaled 174 screws. I made an Excel spread sheet of everything. I requested screws for a 63/64/65 with the custom interior. If you order one of these kits and your car doesn't have air, or it has the standard interior, you might wind up with a couple of extra screws.

There are some other things I've addressed as well. If you have a '65, you'll need four screws for the shifter cover; if you have a 63/64, you'll only need two. Those of you with the 63/64 cars will wind up with a couple of extra screws. Same with non a/c cars; you might wind up with a couple of extras as well. It would be too difficult to make a kit for each car exactly the way it's optioned. I'm hopeful that everyone will at least get the minimnum number of screws to replace everything that's visible.

When Glenn tells me that the kit is ready, I'll let you know. When/if you order a kit and install it, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know what, if anything, I missed or that you'd like to see.

Ed

PS - if anyone would like to see the Excel spreadsheet, I'll email a copy to you.

Fellow Riv Nuts,

I received an email from Glenn at Mr. G's USA today and he told me that he has completed the kit for the '63 - '65 Riviera. He assigned his part # GM 1117 to this kit. I don't know if he has updated the PDF files on his website to reflect this new part # but you now have it.

The kit consists of 145 pieces in 20 different sizes. You'll get twenty numbered sacks of screws. Each sack will have the same sized screws in it. You'll get a list that tells where the screws in each sack go.

He's sending a kit to me to verify it but I won't be able to do that for some time yet (I'm still in the tear down stage, not the build up stage on my '64) If any of you order this kit from him and discover something that's incorrect, please let Glenn and me know.

There are not as many pieces in the kit as I originally sent to him. Some of the screws I sent to him are normally "out of sight" when opening the door of the car. These are not included. So you won't be getting the glove box liner screws, or the seat bumper retainer screw. However a good replacement shouldn't be too hard to find. I also asked for new coat hanger brackets but he couldn't supply them. In the mean time, I found that Clark's Corvair has them. He also does not have the special shoulder bolt for the seat belts nor does he have the special screw w/ built in plate for the seat lean back. Therefore, when you get your carpets replace, or install new upholstery, make sure you hang on to what you have. I'll start looking for seat belt bolts.

Looking forward to your comments when you've installed one of these.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

I haven't asked Glenn exactly why, but I'm guessing that he's just concerned with what will be visible when the car is being judged. Another reason that I can think of would be to keep his prices down. I'll see if I can get him to identify the screws that he didn't include and make a list so you can order additional screws if you want them.

Ed

Even if it's as much as the 70 Riviera kit... that's an incredible value to ensure you got the right screw for the right hole especially if you're like me and took the interior apart and "bolt boarded" it years ago and have been test fitting things in and out so much that the board is now meaningless.

I'm going to be buying a set for sure! Not so much for the restoration just for the assurity of getting stuff back together!

The first set has been mailed to me so I can take a look at it. I'll take some pictures of the kit and post them when the package arrives. Glenn told me that he's including info on some of the screws that won't be in the kit so they can be ordered separately if you want them.

Ed