1990 on Kansas City Craigslist

RivNut

Guest 68vwdubb
Deals that seem too good to be true usually are...

X2!!!

Definitely proceed with CAUTION!

No phone number listed as well...... Can you say S C A M !

I would own it as well, if it were legit. H

ope someone on the board gets there hands on it, if its for real!

There is no doubt I would buy it if it really had 7,000 miles. Sometimes, a motor or trans gets replaced and the seller says something like "Car has 200,000 miles but engine only has 35,000" so not sure if that might be implied here.

I am back on the market for a Reatta but I think this time I want it as a daily driver replacement for my 2004 Pontiac Bonneville with 151,000 miles. Problem is if I sell the Bonnie, then I have no wheels, yet I want the Bonnie proceeds to buy a Reatta (or low mileage modern Buick collector car) I really would not want to dip into savings for a Reatta purchase before selling the Bonnie.

Interesting that it is entirely possible to get a Reatta daily driver with less miles then my Bonneville for the same or less money.

I had not seen many For Sale cars on this forum lately so when I spotted this and in nearby KC I jumped at looking at it.

...Interesting that it is entirely possible to get a Reatta daily driver with less miles then my Bonneville for the same or less money.

I wouldn't say 'interesting'. It's unfortunate.

In regards to the ad, I read it as an implication that a new engine has 7,000 miles. Someone in the forum who has interest must have inquired on the status of this car.

Guest RaverReatta

The no phone number thing is a bit fishy for sure; however, if you do plan on contacting the person about it, I would first ask for a different means of communication and then I would ask a LOT of questions. When in doubt you can look up the VIN or something. Never know. Could be a very good opportunity, and could be a total ripoff. Only way to know is to investigate. If it is a real deal then I wouldn't expect that thing to be around very long!

P.s. Nice Hogan's Heroes reference xD

Unless required, I never post a phone number and when I do, it goes to a number directed to voice mail.

There are too many scammers and 'Internet spiders' out there. When I have posted my number on line in an ad, I get 3-4 people calling me within 72 hours soliciting a 'better way' to attract attention to my ad. Then a few more within the next week or two. I don't ever recall an initial conversation with a buyer starting on the phone (when advertising on-line)

In these times, if someone does not want to make the initial effort to communicate via e-mail, then I haven't lost a customer - I've saved myself time.

Guest RaverReatta

x2 on that. Serious buyers always make an effort. This person may not have TOO much of a desire to get rid of it (at that price it seems desperate though) or doesn't want people calling him/her with lowball offers.

Okay guys, enough anaylsis without any facts!

I emailed the seller last night and she called me this morning. She's a very young girl and she's owned the car for only a year. Her dad told her she made a typo (she apparently didn't proof read her ad) on the mileage when she typed it in and she's corrected it now. The actual mileage is 79K. I mentioned that "the guys on the Reatta site thought she was trying to pull a scam," and she didn't get mad and hang up, she just apologized.

She bought the car a year ago from the original owners, husband and wife. She claims between the original owners and hersellf, it's been garaged since it was new She claims that everything works as it should except the a/c and she hasn[t looked into that. It sounds to me like she's a young lady on a very tight budget. She's not familiar with this model car at all. She didn't know if the car had the 16 way power seats (I don't either, maybe they weren't an option in '90), she just knows that they're power seats. She did know that the car does not have the touch screen dash. She's either very good at feining ignorance or she just plain bought the car because it was cute.

For right now, she's pretty set on her price. She's asked me to come take a look at it and I told her I would next week some time. I want to see what other responses she gets over this weekend and how willing she is to stick to the price. I didn't ask her why she's selling the car.

Ed

Okay guys, enough anaylsis without any facts!

For right now, she's pretty set on her price.

Ed

OK, fair enough but I don't think it's a $4000 car now so I will monitor. I would offer her $2500 and feel good about it. Of course, I am a red/tan fan.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here is the latest on the car in KC. Ed said he thought the car was owned by a young woman and she was not trying to run a scam. Well Ed was correct. She was young and made a mistake on mileage. I had the car checked out and it turned out to be a very nide car. The true mileage is 79,000 and the car runs like a new one. I have been looking for a daily driver so I just purchased it. Sometimes it pays to be open minded. This is a great car, I have seen cars in worse shape on show fields at National meets. I will plan to keep this car for a daily driver.

Chuck Kerls

booreatta@cox.net

Chuck,

Congrats. Looks like you got a good deal on a nice car. With all the nice ones for sale recently, I'm a bit frustrated that I haven't any way to handle another one in my fleet. I've let several decent deals slip away due to lack of space, and the inability to justify the cost of yet another car. It shouldn't bother me, but it does. Just now, there is a 90 S60 'vert about 30 minutes away from me for sale (see thread in FS sub forum). They want upwards of 19K, so it is not even on the radar for me, but oh how I wish I could go get it.

KDirk