Is This Correct?

R W Burgess

I was surprised to see the grey/silver paint on the bottom of the block. It simulated an aluminum lower block. It looked great but did confuse me.

Wayne

It wasn't to simulate an aluminum lower block. The crankcase, which was separate from the cylinder block, was in fact aluminum, and most restorers paint them an aluminum color both to prevent oxidation and reduce oil penetration. As for the cylinder head bolts, they came from the factory nickel plated, I think from the mid-'20s on. Packard was very proud of the dressy appearance of their engines -- or so I've read. Regarding the hub covers, they were commonly chrome plated, and even some disc wheels were chromed.

I was surprised to see the grey/silver paint on the bottom of the block. It simulated an aluminum lower block. It looked great but did confuse me.

Wayne

James is right. The cylinder block is just under the head. The silver bottom is the crankcase, and is made of aluminum.

My question to Packard32, and maybe to James and Jeff as well. Why would the optional wheel hub covers be anything but plated? Would they have ever been painted? If a customer wanted color, the hub, itself, would be painted. Packard32, are you sure your car has covers? Or is it the hub itself that is painted?

Not sure of the year of the car in question. According to the parts book " wire wheel hub shell covers" were used on the 7th series cars with wire wheels while for the disc wheeled 7th series cars only a "hub cap" is listed. On the '32 900 with discs a plated and painted 1 piece hub cap was used that looks like 2 pieces but actually isn't.

Ahh, I see. I call those "full wheel covers". I have a set of 17" and kind of like the look of them and wish I could justify using them on my 900. If you look at the '32 Accessory Catalog it shows the sleeves and they are clearly plated though I suppose a dealer would have happily painted them if you wanted though I fail to see the point.

If you look at the '32 Accessory Catalog it shows the sleeves and they are clearly plated though I suppose a dealer would have happily painted them if you wanted though I fail to see the point.

That's what confuses me about Packard32's statement. Why would someone buy the covers, only to paint them????