Amazing What People Call Restored!

1957buickjim

Matt,

Welcome back home!! Hope you are doing better and eating steak and such!!

Yep, we always remove the chrome to paint that beauuuuu-teee-ful car! If you look at the pictures, you can see that the restoration had a couple of problems in the engine compartment...like a) no radiator tie bar???? B) beautifully painted everything and c) new master cylinder (maybe they were confused with the Tom Terriffic Carton episodes!!!)

Yes, it is a decent car, not restored by any means, and the price for the car not correctly restored is quite preposterous, especially by comparing it to recent cars sold at R&M auctions and other high end auctions to factory correct vehicles. It would be a decent car to bring back, but still, I would guess, a lot of work. Heck, it doesn't even have 4 matching tires on it, let alone a correct interior. I guess the increased, improved safety padding on the dash and IP are an upgrade!

Check this out.."95% restored"...
Nay :rolleyes:. At the end it states

again: this is a 99% finished FRAME ON restoration &

I HAVE A LOT OF $$$$$ INVESTED

Pity that a lot on that money has been wasted. To do it correctly may have been the same $$

Perhaps ones definition of restored is different than others. What word would be better to use other than restored? Maybe refurbished? Restored as a description has been associated with cars for a long time. I would love to have the car but not at that price! Change the top to white and add WW tires. :-)

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

Warhawk...I think fixed up would be a better description of this car. 1939_Buick hit the nail on the head....A lot of $$$$$ spent in a bad way. This is an excellent approach to why you need to do your research before you start to spend $$$$$. He / she will never get the $$$ (if that is what they spent) out of this vehicle. Not at that price. It is missing critical parts under the hood that support the cross car front clip stability. Not good.

Yes, fixed up would better describe the car however on Ebay "restored" sounds much more professional! Much like the use of the word "rare" or "hard to find." As a result and Jpage said it correctly....some poor sucker will take it hook, line and sinker.

Whatever the case...$37,000 is a bit much IMO>

Chris and David,

You are right on those accounts. Just unfortunate what some people think is "restored". The Super Convertible is a rather hard to find, but if you have one, do it right. This is unfortunately wrong on all accounts. And $37K is alot more than anyone who has any knowledge of the cars would start with (that is the opening bid, with the reserve not met). I hope that it make a few turns on the eBay circuit before it becomes someone else's property.

Guys, it worries me to think that since some of the other stuff might be "missing" or incorrect, that the "under the paint" stuff might not be so beautiful either. Sad to think that this individual either BELIEVES that they have done a 95% restore job or that they are trying to convince some poor sucker that it is that way. Hopefully, before purchasing the car, a buyer would visit this chat board to ask some questions, or investigate even another 57 car to see how "correct" the car is. In his pictures, it looks like the 2000+ vintage Volkwagon got the same red paint! :o And I stand behind my "under the paint statement if you look at the rear view. The left side gap is way off from the bumper related to the other side. Matt`

Guest Rob McDonald

Refurbished. Yep, found me a big supply of New Old Stock furbishes and changed them all out. She's like a new car now, yep.

Maybe they had a deal on red paint at the paint shop. Paint one, get your bug painted the same color for half off! :D. The more I look at it, the more it looks like a shill job. Interior is totally off, no armrests, dash / IP is not correct, cowl kick panels off, black painted trim on electric window switches, etc. The list can go on and on.

Matt, I hope you are right with any future owner of this, if there might be one. Hopefully they will do their homework before committing on this.