PAINTING SPRINGS ?

broker-len

As stated in another thread I am redoing a set of leaf springs and front I beam,,,,,,,,some thoughts range from .....take apart and paint each leaf with gloss enamel ,,,,use POR 15.. and put together and paint the sides,,,have heard about all different paints.,,epoxy paint..put graffite between leafs --what is the best to do--?????-------thanks for your help ------------------------ bobnroman@yahoo.com

How far do you want to chase it? If the springs are in good shape just wire brush and paint with rustoleum. If they look iffy or you are a bit retentive knock them apart, check for cracks and correct arch, blast and paint and reassemble with new straps. Or if you really want to do right...................buy new ones...........Bob

I am also doing springs for the '16 Hupp but have an adjoining question. I have to rivet on spring clips to some leafs and it may take heat. Any point in painting the leaves and clips before rivetting when heat will just burn the paint away under the clip/near the rivet point?

I would really like to paint the inside of the clips and the leaf then cold rivet but I am not sure that is possible. Any unpainted hidden areas collect rust which then weeps out onto the nicely painted visible areas of the leafs.

Any ideas would help, thanks,

Guest cben09

If you need cold rivit info,,,Look to old farm and Tractor Supply,,,,

The blades on the old sickle bar mowers are constant maintenence,,,

there are several sizes rivit used,,fairly soft,,,,Ben

Guest BobbyBubba

Sandblast clean, then etch with Muratic acid- rinse with dionized water- then Plasti-Dip any color you want. AWSOME product. Check out YouTube- guy dips entire car. Mechanically clean, then chemically clean- just as in soldering something. Whatever finnish you choose- part needs to be CLEAN first.