Exhaust System for 1953 Super

WillBilly53

So Marie and I took Naomi around the block for her very first ride yesterday. Man, what a high! I think she might be running a little rich, but I found a post about that.

My question is where have you all purchased your exhaust systems? She currently doesn't have an exhaust system and didn't have one when I got her so I need everything starting right after the manifolds and on back. I've been searching around the internet. I found this place: Stainless Steel, Aluminized Exhaust Systems, Domestic 1919 - 1970's - Classic Exhaust Inc.

I really like their prices. So much that I'm debating the dual exhaust set. I'm looking into get a mild steel or aluminum unless it's hands down that I should bite the bullet and purchase SS. Kanter's prices are kind of wallet damaging for this little buckeroo, so what do you all suggest?

I also came across a bunch of articles for making your own custom exhaust. I'm not concerned about originality for this as I want her to be a daily(ish) driver. Any thoughts on this?

as always, thoughts, advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

WillBilly, I was jsut getting ready to do a search on that very subject. I have heard on posts by OldTank and Buick5563 that Waldron Exhaust is the best. Just looking for confirmation on that. Their website is Waldron's Exhaust, car exhaust, truck exhaust, exhaust pipes, mufflers. Let me know how your quest turns out.

cool thanks, Jim. I noticed that Waldron has an actual dual exhaust conversion set for the 53 full size. Classic Exhaust has the duel set for '56-'74. Are their actual performance benefits to running dual or is mostly for cool factor? I'll be reading more in the meantime...

Whoa! Not Waldron's!!!!

This is from my convertible resto page 15:

I finally found somebody who knew how to read a bend card so I could have a tailpipe formed. Guess where? MIDAS!!! I was about to give up after four shops said no.

I got it all bolted up today after much twisting and head scratching. Don't give me grief about the real exhaust clamp in the front of the muffler. I needed a firm grip for fitting purposes. I will be installing the factory correct one.

For future reference Bhigdog's exhaust guy is named Martin Johnson. His number is (231) 723-5343 in Manistee, Mi. His muffler and exhaust pipe were spot on and like I said earlier, he sent me the bend card free to save me shipping. He is a great guy to deal with and I highly second Bob's recommendation. Thanks again for the lead Bob.

Should be starting it up really soon!

My apologies to you Mike and Willie also. My bad, Thanks for the correct information. I knew that some one used someone from Michigan. I will contact Martin for the components..maybe a road trip might be in order!

Edited by 1957buickjim (see edit history)

Since my purchase of an exhaust system for my '60 Electra I have been watching Ebay and Craigslist, as well as Jolly John to find NOS or NORS pipes for my cars. I found perfect exhaust pipes for my '60 on Craigslist. They are manufactured replacement pipes.

I just refuse to buy a so called "card bent" pipe. All the pipe you see in this picture is in my nephew's tin pile.

Bernie

Here is the finished installation of the system from a famous bender.

134.jpg

WillBilly, I was jsut getting ready to do a search on that very subject. I have heard on posts by OldTank and Buick5563 that Waldron Exhaust is the best. Just looking for confirmation on that. Their website is Waldron's Exhaust, car exhaust, truck exhaust, exhaust pipes, mufflers. Let me know how your quest turns out.

I had a Waldren complete system put in a year ago. I highly recommend Waldern's

I used this shop on EBAY. I had to modify one of the pipes because I wanted to use my original clamps but other than that it was a quality product. Here's a link to one of their auctions for your car.

1953-1954-1955-BUICK-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-V-8-MODELS-ONLY

I used that vendor for my '65. The first 2 front pipes had to be reshipped because they were totally wrong. After installation of the second set, I still had to have a shop adjust them. They still rattle a bit as they are still not correctly bent.

I found a local shop that does custom mandrel bending. They made new rear pipes for my '59...I may take the '65 up there and see if they can eliminate the rattle.

I have heard nothing but good about Waldron's until reading this thread.

Getting back on topic of an exhaust for a 53.....As you know the 53 has holes in the chassis on the passengers side for the exhaust. If you want to run a dual system you'll have to run it under the chassis on the drivers side - not tidy.

Frankly, given the modest power output of these first V8s and the lack of encouragement from the Dynaflow, I can't see any point in running a dual system, particularly as it will have to be hung under the chassis on one side.

Over to you.....

thanks for the info everyone. I've definitely decided to run single exhaust as it was intended. From what I've been reading and what others on here have said, it doesn't seem that dual exhaust would really improve performance and some places have suggested it could actually impair it. That's a bit of relief for the wallet. So it looks like Waldron's is the place to be. I hope I can get her ship shape for Charlotte...