1936 Dodge horn button

Guest coolie24

Guest coolie24

I am looking for a horn button for the above vehicle. I have attached 2 photos of what i need. Can anybody help?

thanks

Mikepost-84695-143138963567_thumb.jpg

post-84695-143138963583_thumb.jpg

Are the locking lugs broken on yours,if not you all ready have one. These are the bottom protrusions that hold the metal split ring. The metal cover can be easily removed and polished or replated and the cover is then painted black and the raised portion is buffed or taped off so the ram and speed spears show the chrome.

Are the locking lugs broken on yours,if not you all ready have one. These are the bottom protrusions that hold the metal split ring. The metal cover can be easily removed and polished or replated and the cover is then painted black and the raised portion is buffed or taped off so the ram and speed spears show the chrome.

I don't think that is his.

Guest coolie24

the bottom lugs are broken on mine. I really need the bottom piece under the metal cover. Any idea where else to try to get one.

thanks

Mike

the bottom lugs are broken on mine. I really need the bottom piece under the metal cover. Any idea where else to try to get one.

thanks

Mike

1936 Plymouth item should work. I believe the bases are the same.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

What a nice looking thing. I wonder what the horn button on my '26 Touring would have looked like? Obviously different from this but would be worth looking out for if I knew.

The one I have is not original;in fact, the whole steering wheel boss looks a bit home made to me.

Any ideas, please post them. Thankyou.

Ray.

Ray, I think the '26 had the rubber composite wheel with this button. The '25 and earlier had the wood wheels. I could be wrong on the wheel material dates but I'm pretty sure your's would have this button. Sorry it's not been cleaned up atall.

Thanks Pete. That is just what I was hoping someone would post. I see that the advance and retard lever and hand throttle are mounted in a quadrant attached to the steering colunm under the wheel. If I am to get it back so it looks right, I will have to find one like yours. Do these come off the column easily do you know?

I don't yet have a parts book so if someone could tell me the number, it would be a help.

Pete, is the horn button metal ?

Thanks.

Ray, I don't have a parts book either. The quadrant and levers are all kept on with oval head and fillister head screws, the main body of the upper casting assembly is in question on how that is fastened to column. A wire comes up from inner bottom of column, fastened by a set screw at top, where the horn collector ring is attached to that wire for horn. The Bakelite collector ring simply sits there,under wheel hub, held in place by a notch in the Bakelite ring and the upper body casting. The wheel is held on by a twin keyed upper shaft and large hex nut. The horn button is spring loaded and made of Bakelite. Coolie24, I'm sorry your thread has been high-jacked-- If I had a '36 horn button, I'd give it to you.--Pete.

Guest 1930
Thanks Pete. That is just what I was hoping someone would post. I see that the advance and retard lever and hand throttle are mounted in a quadrant attached to the steering colunm under the wheel. If I am to get it back so it looks right, I will have to find one like yours. Do these come off the column easily do you know?

I don't yet have a parts book so if someone could tell me the number, it would be a help.

Pete, is the horn button metal ?

Thanks.

Ray, P.M me your address and I will send you a copy of the parts book, all 800 plus pages I have saved on disk.

• 2 weeks later...

I just refinished my horn button and I had the whole thing powder coated then wet sanded the high ares with 360 grit ,1000grit then 2000 grit and buffed it out and im real happy with the way it came out . Ill try and post a pic here if i cant it will be in my pic folder under my profile.

LOL I would be lying if I told ya that was the original but It is an air flow It has a smaller horn hole but a chrome ring at the point where the Dodge horn button goes so It was ground to that part and fits great. The Air flow has a little larger splines shaft where the Dodge has a tapered shaft with a key way. I took my dodge steering wheel cut off the spokes ground off the old plastic and ended up with a hub that I took to my machinist he turned it then bore out the airflow wheel and taped it in pined it and welded it he did a great job you cant even tell it realy was near perfect work on his part. I belive Chrysler air stream offered the same wheel and their horn button is the same as the dodge. You can find horn buttons on the e bay but they cant have any dings so when you have it powder coated you need the high spots to stand up so they can be sanded out and polished

Edited by amigo (see edit history)

No it was one I had but I restored it , I do have another but it has a ding in the outer ring and wont sand out right , Ive seen them on eBay as long as their smooth and the stamped Ram and lines are their then you can powder coat it and sand out the ram and the rings and lines then rebuff the powder coat

Guest Killerbunny
IMG_0029DesktopResolution.jpgI myself belive that 1936 airflow wheel is the coolest banjo wheel of that era

Looks great mate...And the button for horn is great..<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/17/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>:D

That Thing is on ebay for 99 bucks I use a formula when I need a new part its some thing like this Cost x difficulty x the quality of the part to locate divided by my current savings and how old I want be when I finish the car . When it all computes I will over pay about 27% for a good part and work harder at work or skip a few beer's . The way I see it a good deal on a good complete horn button would be about 65 bucks with shipping 75 then powder coat 20 bucks so ur under a hundred . But a good button dosent come up often so its about 30 bucks two much. The guys that finish their car then die 6 months later will hold out for another cheaper button

Guest 1930

Quote..........The guys that finish their car then die 6 months later will hold out for another cheaper button ............At least he made a stand for something he believed in and didnt just take the easy road everytime it was offered simply for his own self gratification to be able to drive a car down the road that was a frankenstein of parts.

No offense I think you did a wonderfull job on your car. I myself would have done some things differently though like finding the correct wheel/button and since this is a site dedicated to preserving the original status of these cars I dont think its neccessary to make the statement above and take just a little more wind out of the guy that wants to do things right.

We all realize the time, effort and dedication needed to find all the original correct parts for our cars

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

I was being generous usually the wife sells an unfinished car and 30,000. dollars of tools and unused parts for about 500 bucks . The horn button listed is a great part with the back also . The seller should split the part sell the back for 50 bucks and the button for 60 bucks Its a deal for some one looking for a horn button.