Reading Meet Trailer Friendly Fuel Stations and Other Local Information

charlier

Hello everyone. I have lived in the Reading, PA area all my life. It occurred to me many months ago that this area has very few gas/diesel stations that are what I call "Trailer Friendly". A few weeks ago I contacted the region hosting this meet and volunteered to put together information about "Trailer Friendly" Fuel Stations. The Meet Chairman graciously accepted my offer.

I will be posting this information here on the forums and providing written information to the Meet Chairman to distribute as he sees fit.

Directions to the Greater Reading Expo Center:

Local Map: Local Map

Detailed Directions: Directions to GREC

Be advised that even though the Expo Center address is listed as North 12th Street, the entrance is "Exposition Avenue" and is accessed via 11th Street.

As time goes on, I will be adding more information to this post in this thread so check back periodically. I hope this information is helpful.

Area Road Construction and Road Information:

(Updated 05/02/12)

Route 422 (Between Business 422 in Exeter & the Penn St. Exit):

- Monday to Friday 8 pm to 6am

- Lane Restrictions

- Concrete Patching on bridge decks

- Blacktop Repaving of Roadway Surface

Route 183 at Route 222:

- Interchange construction work involving improvements to Route 183 bridge.

- Traffic backups can/do occur on Route 183 and the ramps off of Route 222

- As of the last time I checked this area can be used by tow vehicles pulling trailers. Route 183 does have a fair amount of commercial truck traffic.

Route 61 at Route 222:

- Interchange work mainly impacting Route 61 and the Route 61 bridge that crosses over Route 222

- Traffic Backups can/do occur mainly on Route 61 and the ramps off of and onto Route 222

Route 73 Between Route 61 and Route 222:

- The bridge at Lake Ontelaunee is restricted to one lane while minor bridge work is being done. Traffic can/does back up due to the lane restriction and delays are very possible. Lane restriction has been 24hrs per day.

Route 222 in the Kutztown, PA Area:

(Updated: 05/16/12)

- Construction on Route 222 has not resumed as of(05/16/12). It appears as if this construction will not be resuming until after the Reading Meet. When construction does resume, travel will most likely be limited to one lane in each direction with a lower posted speed limit (45mph instead of 65mph)

Miscellaneous Road Information:

Interstate 176 North at Route 422 West:

- Be advised that the on ramp from I-176 North onto Route 422 West is VERY VERY SHORT. This ramp also has LIMITED SIGHT DISTANCE for the vehicle on the ramp entering Route 422 West. During rush hours and other times of the day traffic volume on Route 422 West fills both lanes of that roadway which requires vehicles on the I-176 ramp to STOP since there is a posted YIELD sign on that ramp.

- Please Exercise Extra Caution when using this ramp.

I travel this road every day and this ramp has more than it’s share of accidents each and every week.

- When traveling on Route 422 West in the area of the I-176 on-ramp it is probably a good idea to get into the left lane of Route 422 before the I-176 on-ramp. That way if ramp traffic is heavy and the ramp traffic does not yield you and your trailer are not at risk.

North Wyomissing Blvd at Park Road:

- There are three lanes at the light at this intersection.

- The right most lane is for RIGHT Turns only.

- The Center Lane is for traffic going straight through the intersection and for making a LEFT Turn.

- The Left Most Lane is for making Left Turns only.

- Most Tractor Trailers and tow vehicles pulling trailers use the CENTER LANE to make the left turn since that lane give one more room to swing wide.

- Be advised that vehicles using this lane may make the left turn at the light then make a quick Right Turn into the Sunoco Mini-Mart.

- Also be advised that a few blocks down Park Road you will have to make a LEFT TURN into the trailer parking area so if you use the Center lane to turn left you will have to get over into the left lane on Park Road. There is a lane for turning into the trailer parking area at the light.

Route 422 East at North Wyomissing Blvd:

- Be advised that the North Wyomissing Blvd ramp has a SHARP turn at the end of it that should not be taken very fast. The end of this ramp feeds into it's own lane separate from the lane that is coming off of the bridge. It is not uncommon for cars coming off of the bridge to change lanes and cut off vehicles in the ramp lane.

Be advised that all the information regarding Road Construction and Road Information can be printed more easily by clicking on the document attached to this post.

Trailer Parking at the Meet Hotels

(Updated: 05/03/12)

Most of the hotels offering AACA Rates for this meet have small parking lots or oddly shaped lots or are located on roads with high volumes of traffic. It would probably be well worth it for members with trailers to drop their trailer at the trailer parking lot at Vanity Fair BEFORE going to their respective hotels. It is also a very good idea to drop your trailer BEFORE going to the host hotel (Crowne Plaza) to either check in or pick up your registration packet. Should it be absolutely necessary that you take your trailer to the host hotel I strongly suggest that those members towing trailers use the entrance at the back of the hotel on Berkshire Blvd and park in the rear lot. The hotel entrance on Paper Mill Road is not very trailer friendly at all especially if the parking lot at that entrance has vehicles parked there.

Trailer Parking Area at the Vanity Fair Outlet Complex

(Updated: 05/04/12)

Street Address (Approximate): 405 North Park Road, Wyomissing PA. 19610

The Trailer Parking Area at Vanity Fair is located just off of North Park Road behind the Country Inn and Suites Hotel.

The access road for the trailer parking area has a traffic signal and North Park Road has center lanes for making left turns when coming from North Wyomissing Blvd or Spring Street. There is no left turn green arrow at this light so making the left turn from N. Park Road into the access road may require patience at certain times of the day. This traffic light is about two blocks from the intersection of North Wyomissing Blvd and North Park Road.

The Meet Registration Chairman, Don Baer, tells me that Region Members will be at the Trailer Parking lot beginning Thursday Morning at about 8am.

Directions for Show Field, Trailer Parking Area, etc

(Updated: 05/09/12)

Trailer Parking to Show Field: MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Host Hotel to Show Field: MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map UPDATED: 05/13/2012

Host Hotel to Trailer Parking: MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Show Field to Closest Trailer Friendly Gas/Diesel: MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Show Field to Trailer Parking: MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Show Field to Host Hotel: MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Be advised that the MapQuest directions for the Closest Gas/Diesel station are correct. It seems that Mapquest does not like the actual address of the Sunoco Station on Pricetown Road.

Sorry but if you want to print the directions you will have to use the above links.

The forum has a limit as to the size of the files that can be uploaded and the scans I have of the directions exceed those limits.

Trailer Friendly Gas/Diesel Stations List

(Updated: 05/09/12)

The Reading, PA area has a limited number of options when it comes to Trailer Friendly Gas and even fewer Trailer Friendly Diesel stations.

If you want to make it easier on yourself you might consider fueling your tow vehicle when it is not hitched to your trailer.(See the list of stations under “Gas & Diesel Stations that ARE NOT Trailer Friendly”) That gives you more options for fueling.

If you must fuel your tow vehicle with the trailer attached either fuel the vehicle at a convenient location outside this area and plan on refueling there on the way back or refer to the list of stations under “Gas & Diesel Stations that ARE Trailer Friendly”

Be advised that even most Trailer Friendly stations in this area do not have a lot of room should a number of AACA trailers show up for fueling at the SAME TIME (ie after the Car Show on Saturday)

This list is geared to people who use GPS Devices when they tow. My apologies but detailed, written directions for each of these stations would make this document VERY MUCH LONGER than it already is.

Should you have any questions feel free to send me a personal message on the AACA Forum.

PLEASE check this thread before leaving for this meet since it may be necessary for me to do updates to the information in this post.

A local Gas/Diesel station just closed today so this information can change.

I will be providing copies of the Trailer Friendly Information and Road Construction Information to the Region Hosting this event. From what I have been told, this information will be available from them at the registration room at the host hotel and at the show field.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gas & Diesel Stations that ARE Trailer Friendly

Route 61: (aka Pottsville Pike)

Name & Address: U.S. Gas - 1327 Pottsville Pike, Shoemakersville, PA. 19555

Type of Fuel Available: Gas & Diesel

Station Access: Right turn into station from Route 61 North

(Route 61 is a divided highway (U-Turns NOT ALLOWED))

Diesel Pumps: Parallel to road, located behind Station

Gas Pumps: Parallel to road, located in front of Station

Distance to: Host Hotel = 15 mi. Show Field = 14 mi.

Station Notes:

- Station is easily accessible when traveling on Route 61 North. Access from Route 61 South requires the use of side roads and turning around. Doable but more work/effort.

- Main Street is a road that runs parallel to Route 61 South from before the Tom Schaeffer RV Center to East Bellevue Avenue.

- To get to Main Street from Route 61 South one must turn RIGHT onto ZWEIZIG ROAD at about 1514 Pottsville Pike then Left onto Main Street. Follow Main Street to EAST BELLEVUE AVENUE. Turn left onto East Bellevue then Left onto Route 61 North. After fueling at this station get on Route 61 North (in left lane). Continue on Route 61 North until ZWEIZIG ROAD. Turn Left onto ZWEIZIG ROAD and repeat this route to EAST BELLEVUE AVENUE then turn onto Route 61 South.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Route 222 South from Allentown PA area (NOT BUSINESS 222):

Name & Address: Hess – 14233 Kutztown Rd, Fleetwood, PA 19522-9274

Station Access: Use Moselem Springs Road (Route 662 North) then Left onto FARMERS ROAD behind Station

Diesel Pumps: Separate Pumps located on the side of Station farthest away from Moselem Springs Road (RT 662 North)

Turn LEFT into SECOND Entrance off of FARMERS ROAD into the station to get to the DIESEL PUMPS.

Gas Pumps: Two Pump Islands at the end closest to Moselem Springs Road (Route 662 North). Turn LEFT into the FIRST Entrance off of FARMERS ROAD into the station to get to the GAS PUMPS.

Distance to: Host Hotel = 14 mi. Show Field = 11 mi.

Station Notes:

- All Pumps are perpendicular to Route 222

- To get back onto Route 222 North. Exit the station going South on Route 222 then turn right into the Tractor Trailer parking area to get back to FARMERS ROAD and the traffic light. If that is not possible continue on Route 222 South until you can safely make a Left turn into one of the businesses or closed businesses so you can turn around and go North.

Route 222 North from Lancaster PA area:

PLEASE NOTE: You must Exit Route 222 North using the Business 222 Lancaster Ave/Shillington Exit to get to this station. Business 222 is also know as (aka) Lancaster Ave or Lancaster Pike.

Name & Address: Hess – 2336 Lancaster Pike, Shillington, PA

Station Access: Left Turn into station using Left Turn Only Lane from Business 222 North or use Ardmore Ave & enter station from rear

Diesel Pumps: Pumps 11&12 on Island Farthest away from Ardmore, Ave. (side street next to station)

Gas Pumps: Can be accessed from same island as Diesel

Distance to: Host Hotel = 14 mi. Show Field = 11 mi.

Station Notes:

- To continue to host hotel or Show Field Do Not Use Business 222 North. Take Business 222 South to Route 222 South to the first exit so you can turn around.

- Exit Route 222 South at the Mohnton Exit (1st exit on Route 222 South after you get on from Business 222).

- At end of exit ramp Turn left, cross bridge over Route 222 and get on Route 222 North and continue to Host Hotel or Show Field.

Route 183 (aka Bernville Road):

Name & Address: Exxon (Top Star) - 2588 Bernville Road, Reading, PA 19605

Type of Fuel Available: Diesel ONLY

Station Access: From Route 182 SOUTH Turn RIGHT at Traffic Light onto Van Reed Road. Continue on Van Reed Road to the last Entrance Behind the station to access the Diesel Pumps

Diesel Pumps: Located behind Station

Gas Pumps: NOT ACCESSIBLE with a Trailer

Distance to: Host Hotel = 3 mi. Show Field = 6 mi.

Station Notes:

- From Route 222 North Turn RIGHT onto Route 183 SOUTH

- From Route 222 South Turn LEFT onto Route 183 SOUTH

- WARNING: Bridge Construction in this area causes traffic backups. Getting a tow vehicle and trailer to this station should not be a problem but may take some patience.

Route 183 (aka Bernville Road):

Name & Address: T & Cs Market (CITGO) - 910 W. Leesport RD. Leesport, PA. 19533

Type of Fuel Available: Gas ONLY

Station Access: Right Turn directly into station from Route 183 North

Diesel Pumps: NONE – NOT SOLD HERE

Gas Pumps: On Side of Store along Route 183 Bernville RD. (Route 183)

Distance to: Host Hotel = 3 mi. Show Field = 6 mi.

Station Notes:

- From Route 222 North Turn LEFT onto Route 183 NORTH

- From Route 222 South Turn RIGHT onto Route 183 NORTH

- Station is approx .7 mile from Route 183 ramp

- After fueling continue straight past the front of the building then turn RIGHT to get to Leesport Road and back to Route 183 South

Route 422 (aka Ben Franklin Hwy) :

Name & Address: Hess - 1050 Ben Franklin Hwy, Douglassville, PA. 19518

Station Access: Left Turn from Left lane from either Route 422 East or West.

Gas Pumps: In Front of the Building Perpendicular to both Route 422 East or West. Pumps furthest away from the building offer the best access.

Distance to: Host Hotel = 17 mi. Show Field = 19 mi.

Station Notes:

- There is One Entrance and One Exit each on both Route 422 East & West. Each Entrance or Exit is ONE-WAY ONLY in or ONE-WAY Out with signs posted accordingly. You will come upon each entrance First on both 422 East or 422 West. There is Tractor Trailer parking at this station away from the building and pumps. When empty this area is nice and large should you need maneuvering room.

- There is a traffic light just West of this station should you need to turn around to head East. There is another traffic light East of this station (approx. .5 mile) should you need to turn around to head West.

PA-12 (aka Pricetown Road):

Name & Address: Sunoco - 3123 Pricetown Road, Fleetwood, PA 19560

Station Access: Entrance off of PA-12 (East or West Bound)

Diesel Pumps: In Front of building perpendicular to PA-12 Only farthest island from building has Diesel Pumps

Gas Pumps: In Front of building perpendicular to PA-12

Farthest island from building offers best access.

Distance to: Host Hotel = 8 mi. Show Field = 4 mi.

Station Notes:

- Exit station to the rear Turn LEFT onto road on side of station and LEFT again onto road behind station to get back to PA-12 East or West

- There is an empty lot adjacent to this station that is used for Tractor Trailer Parking. When empty this area is nice and large should you need maneuvering room.

- If you are fueling at this station after the car show, you can get on PA-12 East to Route 73 West. Once on Route 73 West you will pass through the town of Blandon before you get to Route 222. If you continue on Route 73 West it will then intersect with Route 61.

- You also have the option after fueling here to take PA-12 West back towards the show field to get to Route 61 or Business 222 and eventually Route 222 or to Route 422.

Gas & Diesel Stations that ARE NOT Trailer Friendly

The following stations are NOT Trailer Friendly. If your tow vehicle is not hitched to your trailer you can get fuel at these stations as indicated.

Name & Address: Sunoco - 624 North Park Rd.,

Wyomissing, PA, 19610

Gas Pumps: In Front of Store parallel to North Park Road

Station Notes: This station is located about Two Blocks from the Trailer Parking Lot at the VF Complex. It is open 24hrs and usually is the least expensive gas in this area.

Name & Address: Exxon - 1000 North Park Rd.,

Wyomissing, PA. 19610

Gas Pumps: In Front of Store parallel to North Park Road

Station Notes: This station is located right next to the Inn at Reading (one of the AACA Hotels). Does not appear to be open before 6 am or late at night.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name & Address: Sunoco - 2005 Penn Ave,

West Lawn, PA. 19609

Type of Fuel Available: Gas & Diesel Fuel

Diesel & Gas Pumps: Share Same Island

Station Notes:

- Station located approx. 3 miles from host hotel

- Street next to station allows easy access onto Penn Ave

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name & Address: Wawa - 100 Lancaster Pike,

Wyomissing, PA 19610, USA

Type of Fuel Available: Gas & Diesel Fuel

Diesel Pumps: End Island closest to Lancaster Pike (Bus 222)

Gas Pumps: All Islands

Station Notes:

- Station located approx. 5.5 miles from host hotel

Reading Meet Road Construction Information.pdf

Reading Meet Trailer Friendly Gas & Diesel Stations V3.pdf

Edited by charlier
Route 222 in the Kutztown, PA area updated (see edit history)

Charlie;

you bring up an excellent point on "trailer friendly" fuel stations. Once you leave the interstates, it is a little tough to find stations where a long rig can fit comfortably. Just thinking off the top of my head, I can come up with the following:

From the north on 222- Sheetz at Moselem Springs (222 and 662) and the Hess at the same location but the end islands only.

From the North on 61- Sheetz at Shoemakersville and South of Leesport.

From the West on 422-I am sure there a couple, but I just don't remember them off hand.

From the East on 422 there are several over in the Exeter area

From the South on 222 or 176 it is a little tough also

From the South on 10 there is a Sunoco in the Flying Hills area that isn't too bad.

Excellent timing, Charlie, saved me some time with mapquest!;)

Hopefully, the host region will have a sign directing everyone to the 11th street entrance!

Thank you so much!

Wayne

You are very welcome Wayne.

No doubt the sponsoring Region will have good signs directing people to the event.

Route 12 is a four lane highway in the area near the Expo Center. There is no direct exit from Route 12 for 12th Street so that should help. There is another way to get to the expo center that I hope most GPS units will not use that is why I posted about using the 11th street exit and Exposition Ave.

BTW, are you bringing a car to the Reading Meet? Staying at the host hotel?

If your wife is coming along you might consider a visit to the VF Outlet Complex.

It is right up the street from the trailer parking area and close to the host and area hotels.

If your wife is coming along you might consider a visit to the VF Outlet Complex.

It is right up the street from the trailer parking area and close to the host and area hotels.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Hey....We don't need for that information to get out!!!! would like to have enough money left to get home :D

Charlie;

you bring up an excellent point on "trailer friendly" fuel stations. Once you leave the interstates, it is a little tough to find stations where a long rig can fit comfortably. Just thinking off the top of my head, I can come up with the following:

From the north on 222- Sheetz at Moselem Springs (222 and 662) and the Hess at the same location but the end islands only.

From the North on 61- Sheetz at Shoemakersville and South of Leesport.

From the West on 422-I am sure there a couple, but I just don't remember them off hand.

From the East on 422 there are several over in the Exeter area

From the South on 222 or 176 it is a little tough also

From the South on 10 there is a Sunoco in the Flying Hills area that isn't too bad.

Dave, Thanks for the information about fuel stations. I have looked at a number of stations along most of the major routes into and out of Reading.

Sadly, many of the fueling stations in this area are convenience store setups.

When the pumps are perpendicular to the store at a 90 degree angle that eliminates all the pump islands except possibly the islands located on the far left and right side. Even with islands on the sides, access can be tough if the parking lot does not go entirely around the store. Some stores in this area also have no left or right turn restrictions along with concrete islands that direct traffic into and out of the station.

Some local WAWA stores love to use these which automatically put them on the Not Trailer Friendly list. There are also some local Sheetz stations that are undergoing construction and are not even selling fuel (Muhlenberg area near the show site).

FYI, the Sunoco in Flying Hills is now a Turkey Hill and it's diesel pumps are not very Trailer Friendly at all. That station can also be confusing to get to since there is an exit for it on I-176 going South that puts you right near the station. To get to it when going north on I-176 involves a less direct route and some back tracking.

I have the Gas Buddy app on my smart phone. That can be a valuable tool when hunting for fuel. Unfortunately, those listings have no information about a station being trailer friendly. Also, some postings about the stations are not accurate as I have found out recently when hunting for stations selling Diesel fuel or found stations closed/under construction.

If you are coming to the Reading Meet I hope to see you in Class 04-B. I also plan to have a vehicle in another class as well so I will be around the show field no doubt.

It is right up the street from the trailer parking area and close to the host and area hotels.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Hey....We don't need for that information to get out!!!! would like to have enough money left to get home :D

Oppsss, Sorry.... At least the VF Outlets here in Reading, PA are not like some of the more expensive "High End" outlets that are located in other places.

Charlie;

I apologize for not thinking about diesel. I tow with a gas vehicle and hadn't thought about diesel. I didn't mention the Sheetz at Muhlenberg for that reason and mentioned the station on 10 for rte 10 traffic. I didn't notice it changed to Turkey Hill but I don't go that way too often any more (I used to live 2 hills north of there on 10). I will have my Farm O Road at Reading in Class 04-b. Please stop by and introduce yourself.

The Shetz in Muhlenburg is being remodeled. The fuel pumps are still closed as of this afternoon.

Chrysler Mike

Mike, even if this Sheetz was not being remodeled it's layout is terrible (as are most Sheetz in this area) when it comes to access for a tow vehicle pulling a trailer.