1990 Buick Reatta

Guest oldwizz

Guest oldwizz

This is my first post . I just bought a 1990 Buick Reatta two door hard top.Had it towed home last night. I need some help this my first attempt at a (restore??).The car has no brakes or fuel pressure (105000 miles) Thanks in advance.

Guest 88atta

Hi oldwizz,

Welcome aboard and I think you have come to the right place for help. Please ensure that you address each problem separately; in other words, open a new link for each individual problem, like Brakes or Headlights etc.; that way we can work on each problem until it is hopefully resolved. Don't be affraid to open more than one problem at a time, that way you can get working on various areas which you might be able to fix sooner than others. You might also like to scan through some of the older links to get a feel from what's going on. Good luck and again welcome to Reatta Land.

Guest Corvanti

hi from another new (one month) reatta owner! where are you located?

i've received much help from the folks here, and much info from the "search" feature!!! :)

Guest oldwizz
hi from another new (one month) reatta owner! where are you located?

i've received much help from the folks here, and much info from the "search" feature!!! :)

Ok one thing at time fuel prob 1st.Car has been setting for 11 months.Just came in from under the car--pulling the fuel tank got it all loose and cant get it down--seems like the rear sway bar is gonna be the problem???

I have never dropped a tank before so I can't advise you on that, however you also mentioned brake issues. When you get the tank out, carefully check the brake line and replace it if needed [you don't want to do the tank thing again].

I also agree with the others that you should start a seperate post for each issue.

A good source of info is Ronnie's website Reatta Owners Journal - Home there are plenty of tutorials there for you to read up on.

Welcome to the forum we are here to help.

Guest 88atta

You say you are dropping the tank; how did you determine you had to drop the tank? There maybe another reason for the lack of a fuel pressure problem.; not saying you won't have to drop the tank to change out the fuel pump but there could be another reason you aren't receiving fuel to start the engine.

Guest oldwizz

with the tank half out i plugged the pump wires back in and did the green wire test and the pump still did nothing and still 0 fuel pressure.also had some spark when doing the green wire test.

Guest oldwizz

I hear the ground part put in this case so far after pulling the tank and pump(OMG) its the worst. gonna have to get the tank boiled out and theres no words for what shape the pumps in other then POOP

Guest jimmyk

You might want to call a salvage yard for a price on a new tank. I paid $125 for a new aftermarket tank. My car had the same problem yours had. A tank half full of rusty, nasty fuel. Only the front bolts of the sway bar need to be removed. The bar will swing down and out of your way.

Be sure to change the strainer in the tank and the fuel filter. Use lots of penetrating spray on the fuel filter threads. It's hard to get to the upper, forward end of the fuel filter. I removed the rear/lower end of the filter then pulled the filter up and removed the remaining end from under the hood.

Guest spiering.lucas
Any thoughts on what pump to use for a replacement?

If you go to Home Page | O'Reilly Auto Parts you can look up the model and year of your vehicle. This will give you a variety of different pumps to choose from as well as the pumps compatibility with other GM models. The more expensive pumps are usually quieter I believe and have a better warranty. If you are looking to do any performance upgrades in the future I would use a stronger pump. IE my fuel pump went out and I replaced it with one for a supercharged v6 3.8 oldsmobile 88 regency elite. I then later put the supercharged motor in my car. In turn while I had the stock motor in my reatta the fuel pressure regulator delt with the extra fuel pressure and just sends it down the return line. I believe this might benefit the life of the pump also because it works more efficiently and can stay cooler with more returning fuel. Other then that you will notice no difference in performance over a stock fuel pump.