the singing gearbox

chstickl

the gearbox on my 37 Coupe makes the same singing noise in first and second gear, as you normally only hear in reverse. Straight cut gears typically make these noises, angled cut don´t.

Since my 37 Coupe might be a very early one (manufacturing date shows Dec 1936), ist there a remote possibility that a different gearbox has been used and all is normal, or am I in trouble sooner or later with that gearbox?

Thanks,

Christian

Christian,

What kind of lube are you using in your TX ?

Mine "sang" in first till I drained it and refilled w/ Mag One 75-140 gear oil mixed 10 to 1 w/ Moly bearing chassis grease. The Moly is the secret !!!! Learned this from the Ford guys in Denver. They call it "knuckle pudding", and use it on all their Model A gear boxes.

Mike in Colorado

I am using Hypoid gear box oil SAE140 from Penrite. It didn´t make much difference to the thinner one I used before. Would it support a worn primary ball bearing if the noise occurs also in idle and dissappears when I push the clutch?

Thanks,

Christian

In the late 60's as Zone manager for Tractor Supply Co. we had a new store Grand Opening, and got in a semi load of STP. It was a hot item for farmer's then, but someone came along like Ralph Nader and said it was NOT a good product. Maybe it wouldn't do all that was claimed, but it has served us well. IMO

Dale in Indy

Guest Grant Magrath

The coupe was "singing" as well. So it's out getting rebuilt at the moment! Gear oil has to be thin enough for the synchros to work properly.

Cheers

Grant

• 3 weeks later...

Christian/Dale,

Re; the STP. Iwould not use it "straight" in the gear box, and certainly not more than 20% mixed w/ gear lube.

My experiance w/ moly oxide comes from my 3+ years in M-48 tanks in korea, where the temp could dive to 40 degrees below in winter up on the DMZ. We painted moly coat on everthing, tracks, turret ring gear, gun gears, everything..... as the cold temp's did not seem to affect it.

Loved it so much, the army loaned me a couple of cans when I retired.

Then the Ford guys told me how to make "knuckle pudding" w/ gear lube and Mo oxide @ 10%. Been using it in gear boxes steering sectors, and diff's (w/o posi clutches) ever since, for smooth shifts.

Mike in colorado

Guest Grant Magrath

Right! Our transmission "sang" like a wounded banshee in 1st, and a bit less in reverse. It would also graunch from 2nd to 3rd, and jumped out of gear coming down a steep hill (only once though). So a couple of weeks ago, we pulled the box, stripped it, and found......

Worn cluster gear bushings.

Worn cluster gear shaft.

Worn cluster gear.

Worn tips on the sliding gear.

2nd and reverse gears pitted and worn.

One worn synchro.

Noisey bearings.

On the positive side, one synchro was servicable, as was the main shaft, and idler gear and bushings. We replaced all the bearings, thrust washers and roller bearings, plus new seals all round, including one that was missing altogether.

Northwest Transmission Parts in Ohio supplied a rebuild kit and a rebuilt synchro that required a bit of machining to get fitting right. Our very good friends, Owen and Ross had a great selection of good gearbox bits to paw through as well.

Still waiting for the new steering gear to be finished before we can test it out, but I still have a bit to put back together yet, and some brakes to bleed.

Cheers

Grant

Guest Mike Hanning

Hi Christian,

Do not use Hypoid gear oil in the gearbox! You will damage any bronze and cause problems with the syncro mechanism. There is absolutly nothing to be gained by using additives and if you use the correct oil of a reputable brand the necessary additives are already in the oil. It is difficult to find the mono grade SAE 90 gear oil these days, however you should be able to find a multi grade non-hypoid 80w- 140 gear oil.

Regards,

Mike Hanning

Christchurch

New Zealand.

Guest Grant Magrath

Danny, we sent the core over to North West Transmissions for an exchange one. They build up the contact area somehow with bronze? Didn't fit out of the box though. We took it to the guys doing the steering gear to be machined down a bit. I should have taken some pictures!

The bearing was held in place with a snap ring. But it was completely worn out. If you spun it dry, it made quite a racket!

Cheers

Grant