steering wheel vibration

Tom_Tams

I've got a noticeable vibration in my steering of my series 40 '39 sedan. It goes from being barely noticeable when the car and tires are cold, increasing in intensity with distance driven. It seems to be most noticeable around 30-35mph. I've checked the wheel bearings, king pins, "A" arm bushings and tires. It seems to steer alright so I don't think the alignment is too far out. I'm starting to show signs of frustration. I even pulled the rear end out and checked the "U" joint, it seems to be fine. The only other thing that I can think of is a bent or out of balance drive shaft.

Tom,

Four new tie rod ends from "Bob's" are not that expensive and an easy DIY. Then have the Toe set by your local garage. How's your steering sector ? This too is an easy DIY adjustment.

This solved my "shimmy".

Mike in Colorado

Guest Grant Magrath

I'm with Mike on this one. You didn't mention any play in the steering? Check the drag link ball joint as well. These wear, and will need a tighten up at some stage.

Cheers

Grant

Tom, I agree with the statement start with the simple and work to the complex. Jack up the front end of the car have a buddy work the steering while you watch.You will probably see the problem given the severity of the shimming that you are experiencing. Tie-rod ends can be tested by taking one of the front tires in your hands one at three o'clock and one at nine o'clock and moving it back and forth while watching the tie-rod ends reaction to the pressure. This is also a good way to check the pit-man arm, drag link relationship as well. Remember to have an alignment done once you've repaired the problem. Good Luck, Mark

Thanks for the advice gentlemen, I've followed it and, so far, I've managed to diminish the vibration considerably. The tie rod ends are fairly new and in good shape as are the rest of the suspension components, what I've done so far is to rotate the tires (cris-cross, they're bias ply), checked the tire balance (static, I'll dynamically check them later) and tighten the sway bar links (they were loose).

Thanks again, Tom

• 1 month later...

I've checked the entire front suspension, engine mounts, wheel bearings, replaced sway bar bushings, rotated the tires and had them balanced, the vibration is still there. While test driving the car, I noticed that the vibration stopped and remained stopped until I got going again after stopping at an intersection. After I got back into 3rd gear and the vibration resumed, I pushed the clutch in and let it back out, the vibration was gone. I repeated this several times with the same result. The area of concern would appear to be related to the clutch and transmission, not a happy thought.:confused:

Guest Grant Magrath

So maybe worn bearings and bushings in the transmission then? No problems shifting gears? We've just rebuilt our trans so things are fairly fresh in our minds, although for how long..........!

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

Ours used to jump out of gear going uphill. Sounds like it might be time to freshen up the box. North West Tansmissions in Ohio can supply you with rebuilt synchros and rebuild kits. Sometimes it's a matter of taering it down and seeing what you need.

Cheers

Grant