Opinions on the old Glass Bowl Gas Filters

Guest bofusmosby

Guest bofusmosby

I wanted to install a gas filter to my 37 Pontiac, and while looking on Ebay, I see there are some that are for the Carter Carbs. I wanted to go with something "Period", but not if it isn't going to do the job right. I was looking at the type that screws directly into the carb., and then the fuel line connects there. Thsi would be an easy install for me, because I wouldn't have to worry about the filter being too close to the exhaust manifold.

Opinions? I was looking at something like this type.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carter-fuel-filter-Glass-Vintage-Airdome-/130661214126?_trksid=m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI

Thank you!

Edited by bofusmosby (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby

Thank you Ben. I posted another link. Please take a look. This might not be the actual filter, but something very similar to this.

I think they are the best kind because you can actually see when they need to be changed. They are a good glimpse of what the fuel is like (color), water contamination, and how contaminated ( rust particles) a tank can be. Many people put them before the fuel pump to help them out first. Some people put two of them, one before the pump and one after.

D.

Guest bofusmosby

Thank you guys for your feedback. I want to add a gas filter, and I like the idea of being able to see the conditions of the fuel, as well as the contaminates. I first wanted to install one in the gas line, but I believe that this would be a better fit. I can easily bend the copper fuel line just a bit to make the connection. On my carb, the fuel line connects from below the carb, and it connects with a 90 degree angle piece going into the carb. I can simply unscrew this angle piece from the carb, screw the gas filter into the carb, then on the other end of the filter (the input) I can install the angle piece there, and the fuel line will connect to the filter, the same way it connected to the carb., with no modifications.

They are great. The filter filters the fuel. The bowl allows water and sediment to settle out. You can see when it has dirt or water in it also when it is empty (fuel pump failure) allows you to diagnose problems.

Can be removed and cleaned out or emptied out, even on the road, to get you going. Will last forever if cleaned from time to time.

They are also period correct for your car. The only reason they stopped using them was, the modern one piece type are cheaper.

If you have an old one you can cut a new gasket out of cork. New gasket sets with cork gaskets often have cutout pieces of material that are good for this. In other words the leftover waste pieces.

Guest bofusmosby

I had a guy tell me last week that the glass ones are known for breaking, and starting a fire. I myself have never heard of this happening before. Anyone?

I have two cars that have the glass bowl type. One is the Carter w/ the white ceramic filter and the other car uses an AC with the replacement paper type. They both work well. But, the Carters are more difficult to find, both, the unit and the ceramic filter, if ever needed( they usually can be cleaned). The AC style are more plentiful and are even reproduced as the GF-48 replacement filters. I got mine from Schaefers Classics in FL. The seals are viton & ethanol resistant . Either should be OK for judging as AC is a GM product. I heard that also, re. glass breaking in a collision, but may be heresay. They were probably more expensive to produce.

Edited by rons49 (see edit history)

Guest Foggy norm

The only problem I've seen with this type, is the screw and nut get strip'd. Generally, replace the threaded part with another bolt same size; tack weld, this is the bottom screw type. When acquiring one be sure it has the cup which presses against the glass (AC). The top screw is Carter.

You guys know that glass filters came factory standard on many cars. I was just reading a comparison article between a 1948 Cadillac and a 1948 Packard in Hemmings Classic car magazine. The Packard's glass filter is just before the carburetor, and the Cadillac filter IS part of the fuel pump.

See the Cadillac type;

http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Cadillac/48_Cadillac_Series-62_Sedanette_DV_06-MRM_e04.jpg

A 48 Packard;

http://www.wmsbrg.com/ebay/history/48packard/engbay2.jpg

D.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Guest bofusmosby

I will be getting a carter filter, and connecting it like it is shown on the Packard. I was wanting to install some type of filter, but I also wanted to have easy access, with a clear bowl so I could instantly see if there was a problem with the gas, or trash from the line or tank. Installing the filter on the fuel input on the carb would not only be the easiest, but would require no modifications or cutting of the fuel line. If I were to install it in line with the fuel line going to the fuel pump, modifications to the fuel line would be needed, as well as it being difficult to see without getting under the car.

Thank you for the photo links helfen, they couldn't be any plainer.

Foggy norm, if I understand you correctly, are you saying that the screw on the top, such as with the Carter would be the better choice? Since my Carb is a Carter, the Carter type is the one I will get.

Rusty_OToole, junkyardjeff, rons49, thank you for your feedback. I too have never heard of one of these old glass bowls breaking, but I would guess that in an accident, it would be possible, which I am in hopes that will never happen.:eek: I am assuming that a good cork gasket would do the trick, and as far as I know, they will hold up good with the modern gas of today. The pressure that these filters are under are not that high. According to the service manual, 3-4 lbs.

Guest Foggy norm

Obviously these filter's have been in use many year's, if there was a safety issue, we wouldn't be talking about them. In today's market, we're dealing with used item's and the only issue I've encountered were the strip'd thread's. The Carter type filter is a bale type and seem's to tolerate excessive tightening, dealing with gas I can understand someone doing that. Until your comfortable with it on your engine, keep an eye on it. I've seen them with thin gasket's, usually a 1/8" thick (allow's for compression) work's well. With a good gasket and good "bite" on the screw thread's, you should have no issue's.

The only concern I have with your idea of mounting it to the carb is the more connection's you work with on potmetal, is more wear on the connection's and no room to work. Down the road, consider a piece of line between the two.