Clutch plate treatment

R.White

The traditionally reccommended way to free up sticking clutch plates seems to be a liberal dose of kerosine, while other suggestions include brake cleaner (spray?). What I would like to know from the more experienced among you is which is best - and also, does the kerosine smell when the car is in use? I have a plentiful supply of kerosine (paid for) whilst brake cleaner will need to be bought in. Thankyou.

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Hi Tony,

I had the engine running for the first time yesterday!. Good oil pressure, no smoke, no knocks etc. but no clutch release; so no gears! I have had this before on cars which have been standing for a while and have done as you suggest but the release can be quite violent and I also fear breaking the bearing plate in the fragile North East starter - which seems to be quite a common problem according to other forum contributors, so I thought I would soak the clutch plates with kerosine first. I just worried that it might smell for ages after and wondered if that was why other guys had used brake cleaner.?

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Hi Tony,

I had the engine running for the first time yesterday!. Good oil pressure, no smoke, no knocks etc. but no clutch release; so no gears! I have had this before on cars which have been standing for a while and have done as you suggest but the release can be quite violent and I also fear breaking the bearing plate in the fragile North East starter - which seems to be quite a common problem according to other forum contributors, so I thought I would soak the clutch plates with kerosine first. I just worried that it might smell for ages after and wondered if that was why other guys had used brake cleaner.?

Ray.

Hi Ray

In that case, you could try turning the motor over with the starting handle while someone else holds the clutch out. You can apply just as much force as the starter by hand.

Tony

Another trick is to have a person in the car push the cluth pedal all the way to the floor while a second person with the hood open measures the distance from the firewall on the engine side to the clutch pedal and make a wood piece to hold it open. Leave is for a couple of days or overnight to allow the goo to separate as the spring slowly releases the clutch. These things were notorius for leaking oil out the back. Remove the square plug on the underside of the clutch housing and probably oil will come out. Several people suggest leaving the plug out. On mine I drilled a 1/8 inch hole (approx 3 mm) through the plug to let future oil drain. This is of course a dry clutch but with the rear seal leak oil does get in. Some have had luck dropping the oil plan and replacing the rear seal available through Romar or Myers of Olson Gaskets or make one with modern sealant. I tried all these and it still leaks!

Paul

I used to have that problem with my Model A after winter stoarage;I used a more primitive method of release. I would move the shifter to neutral ,depress the clutch,press hard on the brake,started the engine and let it warm for a little bit and then pulled the shifter into gear. That broke her loose every time.I didn't worry about the tranny as those old Ford gears were tough as nails!Perhaps not the best way but it was quick!