I smell Smoke

Guest Calmcsahead

Guest Calmcsahead

So my generator was not working, took it apart cleaned it up, Generator was working great, Ammeter showed no charge, removed and replaced voltage regulator and it stared charging, so much so it wont stop any thing over 5 miles or so and it goes to full charge. Smells like something burning.......(wiring)

The burning is your generator heating up. The voltage regulator needs some attention.

It sounds like it stuck in charge mode.

That happened to mine going 70mph down the Interstate. My first clue of a problem was; I saw a steam of sparks out of the back of the car . My generator was just before bursting into flames as we stopped the car.

Had the same thing happen to my 57 generator as well. "Old Sparky" as I referred to it. Didn't realize it had to do with the regulator.I replaced the generator and regulator and all systems worked well.

It could be something as simple as an intermittently touching wire inside the generator. When you had it apart, you may have left a field wire or brush lead touching causing the generator to full field. The regulator will not stop something like this. Bottom line, there is no guaranteed solution that one could provide you. The generator and regulator need to be checked and evaluated by a generator shop with the proper equipment. The generator should first be check by itself then with the regulator. Feel free to contact me with any questions or advice.