Drive-In Movie Speakers Part 2

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

Some of you may have read my post I made a few weeks back about the drive-in movie speakers. I have since purchased another matching speaker on EBAY as well as a junction box/hanger. I wanted to use these as a display piece when I get my old Buick to her first car show. I included a youtube video and some pictures below showing the results of my little project. I still have to fabricate a pole and base to put the whole dealio' on but you get the idea. I also left them with the original "patina" on there. I think it will match my car better.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3O56rB9p-FQ" allowfullscreen="" width="560" frameborder="0" height="315"></iframe>

Drive-In Speakers.3gp - YouTube

(link in case the video doesn't work)

post-75106-143138839326_thumb.jpg

post-75106-143138839331_thumb.jpg

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

Guest shadetree77

Thanks guys. I think they turned out pretty good. Chuck, there are several places selling those reproductions. While they are pretty cool, at $200 a pop I think I'd rather make my own with original speakers!:D By the time I get the pole I will have spent under a $100 on this set-up and I had fun doing it. I've seen those repro's listed for as high as $300. That's just crazy....hmmmm.....maybe I'm in the wrong business! Anybody wanna' buy some speakers??:P

• 1 year later...

I'll have to check with the owner of the only operational drive-in in the Kansas City area as to what he did with all of his.

His drive-in now broadcasts using THX technology and you tune in your FM radio for the sound - the more and better your speakers, the better the sound. Plus they no longer use film, they've gone digital just like the big indoor cinemas. Not wanting to hi-jack the thread but I thought perhaps some of you might be envious that we still have an operational drive-in here in town and the owner says "with all of this new digital equipment, we'll be in business for another 60 years."

Ed

Not trying to one up you, ED, but just few miles from me is Shankweiler's Drive in. They bill themselves as the oldest drive in in the U.S., in continous operation since the mid 30's. And almost in sight of my house is another drive in ( Mahoning Valley) but I don't think they will be able to swing the cost of going digital. And just over the Blue Mtn is yet another drive in (Becky's) that just added a second screen. And about 15 miles North is the Hazleton Drive in. Seems they are alive and well in Eastern PA............................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
Guest Drive In Movie Parts Guy

I'm new here, but could not pass up a thread on Drive In Speakers! If anyone needs wiring diagrams, parts or a little FREE information... I'm your guy! :>)

I need a part for an RCA, the back hanger piece.Just the flat part on the end. I'm thinking I may as well just buy another though as I am not sure how that part mounts?

Sir if this is a "business" for you I'd suggest also posting in the AACA Commercial Advertisements here >

http://forums.aaca.org/f158/

PM coming.

$_57.JPG

Guest 56Chevy

I sold my business and retired 8 years ago... Helping folks with Drive-In and Parking Meter information keeps me out of the bars and my bride (of 40 years) hair. That is an old style back.... Take the speaker apart, look inside the back cover, I think you will see 2 nuts that hold the hanger plate on. The newer style is held on by 2 pop rivets. Sorry, I don't see that I can send you a picture here.