trans fluid

Guest Recian

Im starting to think my parts guy lied to me on what fluid was in our bulk drum when i filled my trans on my rebuild. Im looking to get fluid to flush the entire system to remove any traces of wrong fluid. I'd prefer to go with royal purple but their uses are listed for :

Dexron

Dexron-II, Dexron-IID

Dexron-IIIG, Dexron-IIIH

I found a bulletin for 89 that GM was using D-IIE as replacement for all hydramatic transaxles which previously took Dex-II (one that royal purple is suited for). Would this work or should i just go with Dex-VI? What's throwing me off is IIE is supposed to replace II, if that's the case why isnt IIE listed in royal purple's site? Seeing as II and IIE are the same one is just an update so II shouldnt be listed but IIE should. and on top of that it's hard finding accurate info for the car's original fluid since now everything has been changed to say Dex-VI

it shifts fine but it feels like the power isnt getting put to the ground unless i get on it. I can go light throttle and it feels like the engine is strong but the trans isnt letting it get put to the ground. Like there's a restriction. If i goose it and make it downshift it'll run great and lay you back in the sebut lower RPM and light throttle it doesnt really want to go. Shifts are smooth but sometimes when at cruising speed if i let off the gas to coast (since i have no cruise atm) and touch the accelerator again it'll be out of lock up and i can feel the torque converter lock back in once i touch the pedal. It feels to me like the power is there but the trans isnt letting it get to the ground and make the car go like it should. I dont know what fluid was used when the trans was rebuild before I bought it. Probably Dex-VI since it's the most common fluid out there. The parts man told me our fluid was Dex-IV since most nissans that dont use synthetic use dexron. I know the 2 can mix, if ther even is a Dex-IV? I havent heard of it now that ive been looking into the different dexron fluids.

Edited by Recian (see edit history)

When the Reatta came out, Dexron-II was current. It was superceded in the early '90s by Dexron-III. So you won't find any Dexron-II on the shelves, just like you won't find SF-level motor oil any more. A few years ago, Dexron-III was superceded by Dex-VI because of some new requirements in their 6-speed autos. GM claims Dexron-VI is compatible with GM automatics clear back to 1950.

Dexron-VI is a synthetic blend. Not sure what spending extra for full synthetic Royal Purple (or Mobil-1, Redline, etc) will buy you vs Dex-VI. If someone were doing a lot of towing or even hill-climbing, the money might be better spent installing an auxiliary transmission cooler.

If i goose it and make it downshift it'll run great and lay you back in the sebut lower RPM and light throttle it doesnt really want to go.
At light throttle over about 45 mph the transmission is in high gear and the TC is locked up. In that situation you wont have much acceleration until TC unlocks. That is normal. When you goose it the transmission is probably downshifting and the TC is unlocking at the same time making it feel like you got a big boost in power.

Might want to check your:

1) transmission throttle control cable (make sure it's adjusted properly)

2) vacuum modulator (if fluid is present in the vacuum linereplace modulator)

3) vacuum lines for any dry rot cracks and to insure proper connection.

If the Throttle Valve cable going to the transmission is out of adjustment it could make the transmission downshifts sluggish.

Shifts are smooth but sometimes when at cruising speed if i let off the gas to coast (since i have no cruise atm) and touch the accelerator again it'll be out of lock up and i can feel the torque converter lock back in once i touch the pedal.
That is also normal operation.

If you want harder shifts from the transmission adjust the modulator valve if you have the adjustable type (small aftermarket valves are adjustable. stock is not).

I doubt changing fluid will make a difference if what you are running now is Dextron compatible.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

I believe the transaxle will lockup the TCC in third gear also, the whole idea being to keep rpm down and maximize mileage. The engine will pull a fairly good load (and hold it) at low rpm but it sure isn't quick. If there is s similar vehicle available, you may want to try one and see if it feels the same. Believe it or not, the Reatta is heavier than a LeSabre of the same year so it takes some prodding to get it to move smartly.

i may try to adjust the kick down cable on the trans. I know it was a bit loose and maybe it's just not kicking down as soon as it should. I contacted the company and royal purple said their site is misleading in a way that anything Dex II and II their fluid will work. Regardless of the D, E, H or other letter prefixes with it. I dont know what was in the trans from the rebuild place or what was in my drum so i'm not going to take chances and im going to flush it and put 11 qt of what it's supposed to have, whether it be dexron6 or royal purple max ATF just to prevent any future incidents and hastle cuz the engine is an easy pull the trans is a PITA to get out of the car

castrol, penzoil, wolfshead, chevron and advance all market dextron type 3 compatable AT fluids.

The label on Castrol's bottle indicates it's made by BP

I think wolfshead is made buy sopus, which also makes penzoil and shell

the chevron product is named md-3 and is available at west marine

a guy @ advance thought they made their own.

Edited by Mike_s (see edit history)

An auxillary cooler can extend the life of a transmission. The further south you live, this becomes more important. Not usually an issue with a Reatta but towing also increases the fluid temp. Chart attached.

post-30596-143138820845_thumb.jpg

Now that my trans is doing good I may install my auxilary cooler. All i've gota do is cut the factory lines seeing as they have rubber near the tranny and hook them to the cooler. I want to do the royal purple flush so i know what's in it. It's 70 here in january. Im dreading summer coming especially for this car. The max atf will help with heat is their accusations

Now that my trans is doing good I may install my auxilary cooler. All i've gota do is cut the factory lines seeing as they have rubber near the tranny and hook them to the cooler. I want to do the royal purple flush so i know what's in it. It's 70 here in january. Im dreading summer coming especially for this car. The max atf will help with heat is their accusations

If you want to make it look "like it came from the factory that way", note that the early '90s Rivieras came with a tranny cooler. Also the Sevilles/Eldorados of the period used the exact same cooler.

2641-riviera-90-93-transmission-cooler-bracket.jpg

Note that the mounting brackets in the photo are from a Riviera. The one on the left would be the one you would want for a Reatta. The Cadillacs mounted the cooler a bit differently.

mine is identical to that one exept it's about 4 inches longer (left to right according to picture) idk what it came out of but it looks just like that one