1955 Buick Paint Formulas

packick

I painted my 55 Cherokee Red about 12 years ago. I use Dupont paints and the formulas were available but the problem, at least with Dupont, is the pigments used almost 60 years ago are not used anymore. So the original formulas are useless. Dupont supplied a formula that would closely match the original but that was it. So is my car Cherokee Red? The answer is no. Does it look like Cherokee Red. The answer is, I guess so.

I was at a Buick national meet that had 4 Cherokee Red cars on display. Every owner had a "correct" paint job. Yet no two were the same exact shade. Viewed alone they all looked like Cherokee Red but along side each other they were all different.

There are companies, and folks, that claim they have the "correct" formulas and mixes but take that with a big grain of salt. After 57 years where would you find a pristine, un-faded, un-aged sample to compare to?

So, don't agonize over it. Get as close as you can and you will be as correct as the next guy. BTW, the judges at AACA shows are as clueless as everyone else as to what the original looked like.....................Bob

I painted my 55 Cherokee Red about 12 years ago. I use Dupont paints and the formulas were available but the problem, at least with Dupont, is the pigments used almost 60 years ago are not used anymore. So the original formulas are useless. Dupont supplied a formula that would closely match the original but that was it. So is my car Cherokee Red? The answer is no. Does it look like Cherokee Red. The answer is, I guess so.

I was at a Buick national meet that had 4 Cherokee Red cars on display. Every owner had a "correct" paint job. Yet no two were the same exact shade. Viewed alone they all looked like Cherokee Red but along side each other they were all different.

There are companies, and folks, that claim they have the "correct" formulas and mixes but take that with a big grain of salt. After 57 years where would you find a pristine, un-faded, un-aged sample to compare to?

So, don't agonize over it. Get as close as you can and you will be as correct as the next guy. BTW, the judges at AACA shows are as clueless as everyone else as to what the original looked like.....................Bob

...and pick a shade you want to look at. The same goes for Dover white. The creamy Dover white below Cherokee Red on my CVT would not look good next to Gulf Turquoise or Cadet Blue on my other 55's so I had it tinted to be complementary to those colors.

Willie

Willie and Bob: The other option I have, and I probably will do it, is to have the paint that is currently on the car spectrographed (computer analyzed) to get as close of a match as I can. I had good luck with this method on my '36 Special so I may give that a try again.

Thanks for your input.

Willie and Bob: The other option I have, and I probably will do it, is to have the paint that is currently on the car spectrographed (computer analyzed) to get as close of a match as I can. I had good luck with this method on my '36 Special so I may give that a try again.

Thanks for your input.

That will be as good as any method. I suggest you compound an area on the most shaded part of the car for the shot...........Bob

I had purchased a quart of Cherokee red in lacquer about 15 years ago when I bought my car. I shot a panel with it and tried to match it up with a PPG color. They said they could only mix it up in the cheaper Omni brand. I found that GM torch red is very close. (A little more red than orange) And it looks great next to the Dover white. (The photo shows it being more red than it is) Mud

post-50945-143138815804_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bulldog and Mud. Yesterday I drove the car to a paint shop and they specragraphed both paints. I haven't had time to open the cans yet but hopefully they will match perfectly. The paint guy said it is a coin toss as to whether they are a perfect match. They may have to be tinted up or down a bit . . . maybe. I hope to start the body work next week and soon after paint the repaired spots. I will let you know how it turns out.

As another option to your local paint shop, Tower Paint also has the formulations on file for your classic Buick. APS Tower Paint Company, Spray Max, Aerosol Spray Paint, Custom Mixed Spray Paint I emailed one day with my specs (1956 Buick, Paint Code D, Electric Blue Poly), received a response the next day from one of their Tech guys (Jeff, I think), and had the proper PPG paints show up UPS Ground within a week. They can ship you quarts, pre-mixed spray bomb cans for touch up, etc. Exceptionally nice folks to deal with too.

Cheers,

Budd

I am not wanting to highjack this thread, and I trust you will understand my question, it kind of flows with the subject....Thanks........

When piece painting a solid color, can you get good results piece painting, IF YOU USE PAINT FROM THE SAME CAN? How much does more or less thinner contribute to a color difference, or will more coats make up for such?

Dale in Indy

I painted all my cars in pieces over months of time and sometimes putting on an extra coat or two. there is absolutely no color difference between panels. Now for some disclaimers. The paints were all non metallic. I pretty much used the same thinners and mix rate. The paint was all single stage. I also cut all my paint together before using. In other words if I buy three gallons, I get an empty can and co-mix all the paint so it's all exactly the same color...........Bob