Cars in Movies, Wrong Tire Sizes

X-Frame

In the WWI aviation movie Blue Max from the 1960s, there's a scene where the two fighter pilots are toasting each other with champagne in the canvas covered back of a solid-tired military truck. The truck is shown driving off, bouncing along like a pogo stick. But when switched to the scene inside, it's like they're sitting in a drawing room, pouring and drinking champagne with nary a jiggle!:rolleyes:

In the WWI aviation movie Blue Max from the 1960s, there's a scene where the two fighter pilots are toasting each other with champagne in the canvas covered back of a solid-tired military truck. The truck is shown driving off, bouncing along like a pogo stick. But when switched to the scene inside, it's like they're sitting in a drawing room, pouring and drinking champagne with nary a jiggle!:rolleyes:

I'm not a pilot so I could be wrong, but saw a clip with an aerial fight scene this week from the "Red Tails" movie being released today. In the clip none of the pilots had their goggles over their eyes... Maybe some WW2 fighter pilot vet could chime in but I suspect that is incorrect. Of course that would have obscured the actor's faces so we couldn't have that. :)

Micheal J. Pollard. "It's a Ford 'Coopay'." Warren Beatty, "No, it is a stolen Ford 'coopay'."

In the movies, all motorcycles are either two strokes or sound like an HD.

I recall a movie that I saw many years ago, that had a scene showing an old "rail job" leaving the starting line. They dubbed in the sound of, what was probably, a 30s Packard running through the gears. Hilarious.

My favorite bit of movie and TV idiocy, besides bullets that spark, is, what I call, The Magic Wires. All cars have them. They are accessed by breaking the tempered side glass with your fist or elbow and entering the car. By reaching under the dash, one can yank out a bundle of wires that resembles an electricians recycle bin. Giant wads of THHN copper wire. Within this mass of random length wire, lies The Magic Wires. Two wires that are bare at the ends. By rapidly scratching them together, like a Boy Scout starting a fire, the car, magically, starts with a magnificent display of sparks, left over, I suppose, from some unused bullets. The Magic Wires also disengage the steering and transmission locks. I know you're supposed to suspend disbelief but come on guys. Some of us know better

Actually, it's Bonnie that corrects Pollard......and it's a 1931 roadster.

post-37352-143138807978_thumb.jpg

Guest Dr. Strangelove
I'm not a pilot so I could be wrong, but saw a clip with an aerial fight scene this week from the "Red Tails" movie being released today. In the clip none of the pilots had their goggles over their eyes... Maybe some WW2 fighter pilot vet could chime in but I suspect that is incorrect. Of course that would have obscured the actor's faces so we couldn't have that. :)

Well I'm not a WWII military pilot, but I am a retired military pilot with a little knowledge of history and the era represented by 'Red Tails'. Those WWII goggles were much like the wool uniforms issued at the beginning of hostilities - useless. Both were a carry overs of the open cockpit days and the last war. To look out through a pair of those things was to restrict ones vision dramatically. If you are in the business of looking out for the bad guys, it was not good to be wearing them unless you wanted to be a statistic..... A pair of Ray-Ban's to help shield the sun in the thin atmosphere would be what most fighter pilots preferred, particularly in the era of the P51-D or late '43-to wars end.

Thanks X-Frame, found this clip with the chase scene. Here's a still...

in_this_ol_chevy.jpg

Larger, later in the scene, the front end resembles a '40 Chevy.

Great chase scene BTW, with the ubiquitous open-toed pump flooring the accelerator.

TG

Thanks for sharing this photo but it seems to only add to the confusion. First, you said it may look like a 1940 Chevrolet going over. The problem is that even though Chevy didn't have an X then, there is a cross brace under the rear passenger compartment that is not part of any later Chevrolet frames. Second, that brings me to the bumper seen here which is a early 1930s style. Now, Chevrolet did have a brace there in 1933 but the front wouldn't have looked like a 1940. And all calls in the late 1930s and early 1940s had an X except Chevrolet and Chrysler (the cross brace doesn't resemble one another). So, either this is a composite car or what is laying here is a lot older than 1941.

Guest sodomojo

Many of you may have already seen this 1936 dodge movie commerical (no tv and todays animation back them) Its about 10 minutes long with period acting in a story but the old D-2 is a survivor in the end and it's pretty funny. I laughed all the way.

1936 Dodge - YouTube

The Industry doesn't care because the average person doesn't know the difference. It's only us intelligent car guys that notice this stuff. When I complain about some movie when the cops leave in an Impala, are shown on the road in a Plymouth and arrive in a Ford, my wife says "what difference does it make? They all look alike."

My Wife rolls her eyes at me all the time for making mention of automotive errors in shows and movies.

I'd do better to point them out to the dog. :rolleyes:

There is VW commercial running right now that shows a kid as he is growing up and buying bicycles, mopeds, and cars. He always asks the seller, "Is it fast?"

In one scene it is portrayed as the mid to late 70's. An AMC Gremlin is shown in the opening to set the timeframe. It is a moped he is looking at.

They then change camera angles, and in the background is a 90's era BMW.

The final scene shows him today, standing next to the new VW holding a baby. He asks, "Is it safe?"

Trouble is, he clearly isn't as old as the earlier scenes would place him to be today. He appears to be 30 and not 50.

Wife rolls her eyes......:o

My Wife rolls her eyes at me all the time for making mention of automotive errors in shows and movies.

I'd do better to point them out to the dog. :rolleyes:

Hey Sweepspear... can you go over to our spirited discussion about X frames in this folder and just chime in to say that your 1970 Riviera does have a tubular center X frame, the last year any GM car used them. Some people seem to think the 1964 was the last year for this GM chassis design. Just thought someone "in the know" could lay that one to rest... thanks!

Eric