Has anyone seen this before?

db17

I am not familar with this particular brake system. However, I have used Rochester Clutch and Brake in Rochester NY. They are a complete shoe and lining rebuilder. I have had them re-create destroyed brake bands for old bull dozer restorations. They also do a lot antique, one of a kind, restorations. They are very good and pricing is fair. Give them a call. They certainly can give you some good guideance.

Guest brian j

Hi. A point to ponder about your brake bands, is they might be made of "spring" steel. It's steel thats been heated to a certain temp, and then quenched to make it harder and "springy". George has a good point to go to Rochester clutch and brake, as they could probably help you with this question. I have an old Case crawler that has band brakes, and bought aftermarket cheap brake shoe/bands for it. After a period of time the bands cracked and actually broke in half from constant flexing which regular steel won't take indefinitely. I replaced them with Case originals and have had no issues. I don't know if the bands you have need to be treated after new material is welded on, but it's something you would want to look into. Regards

This problem appear to have been caused by not having the axles centralised, thus pulling the brake drum against the parking brake shoe. Adjust the bearing retainers so the axles protrude equally on both sides.

Lots of luck repairing the worn shoe. It is made from malleable cast iron any attempt to build up by welding would probaby be impracticable given the amount of metal missing. I think the 14 inch brakes used by Dodge from 1916 were common up to 1923 and that a replacement parking brake shoe should be easily obtainable. Even a shoe from 1924-26 may be the same.

Can anyone out ther help this man with a replacement - I am fresh out of DB brake bits.

I don't think those will be too hard to find, in fact I may have some, but I think I would just redrill a little offset from the worn through rivets and use the shoe. It is just the parking brake after all. Then maybe keep an eye open for a replacement down the road.

Thanks for the response, I really do appreciate it. The adjustment on the bearings had been tightened so far that the brake drum had cut though the oil tube and the brackets on the inside of the wheel.

The metal shim between the bearings and the drum was made into a cone.

I will take your advice and re-drill it for now until I can find a good replacement.

Nice to communicate with all of you.:D

Guest John1918

That has been a problem on some old Dodges. From memory I fixed up everything including the bearings and brakes etc and after adjustment the clearances looked OK. I found some adapter kits for grease guns had tubes almost the same as the Dodge. Just a bit longer but fitted perfectly.