Now playing... '65 Buick Riviera

BadgerRivFan

I know this is sort of hijacking this thread and I'll be glad to delete if anyone wants me to. But, one of the previous posts brings up a really good point and therefore a question which will, of course, be based solely on opinion. As Mitch states "really look good in a dark color."

It's always been my opinion that cars with sharp lines, like the 1st generation Rivieras, look better in lighter colors because the lines, breaks, and angles are more prominent in lighter colors. (That's supposedly why Bill Mitchell painted his Silver Arrow I and III in silver - the name came after the color.)

So, which is better for 1st generation Rivieras? Light or dark colors.

Ed

I tend to agree with you Ed, which is why my cars are getting painted lighter colors.

Although, the 65 does look sick in black, as the chrome and stainless trim really pops on a nicely restored car.

It's always been my opinion that cars with sharp lines, like the 1st generation Rivieras, look better in lighter colors because the lines, breaks, and angles are more prominent in lighter colors. (That's supposedly why Bill Mitchell painted his Silver Arrow I and III in silver - the name came after the color.

Ed

Your opinion is in good company. Raymond Loewy the famous industrial designer of the 20th century and the head designer of the Studebaker Avanti (another car with sharp lines) always stated (paraphrase) that vehicles with sharp lines benefited from lighter colors but ones with a silver metallic base like silver, light blues, champagnes and beige.

Guest onedesertdog

I always had a thing for the old Pontiac Silver Blue color, at least the eng. anyway. I'll probably go with Artic White in the end, BUT, I wonder how the 65 would look painted PSB, w/ blue on blue interior(which I have)?

Just wondering out loud...:o

I know this is sort of hijacking this thread and I'll be glad to delete if anyone wants me to. But, one of the previous posts brings up a really good point and therefore a question which will, of course, be based solely on opinion. As Mitch states "really look good in a dark color."

It's always been my opinion that cars with sharp lines, like the 1st generation Rivieras, look better in lighter colors because the lines, breaks, and angles are more prominent in lighter colors. (That's supposedly why Bill Mitchell painted his Silver Arrow I and III in silver - the name came after the color.)

So, which is better for 1st generation Rivieras? Light or dark colors.

Ed

IMHO the 65 looks fantastic in any color. I spent some time earlier looking at the Color and Trim book for 65. The only color I do not care for on the riv is Flame Red-and I love red on my Wildcats and GS cars. :confused:

OK Riviera people: Ted and I are on the same page as far as the red goes. I don't even like it on a 63-67 Corvette.

Two schools of thought here. Light, non reflective colors can enhance the body lines and dark colors can enhance the body lines. Did I just say that? The right color is ANY color you like! I'm in the middle of two Riviera builds. A 64 that's going burgundy non metallic with a white interior. The other is a 65 which is the stock color, gold, with a standard saddle interior. If I wasn't so involved with the burgundy car I would have changed the color on the 65 because gold has no pop. Mitch

Guest Kingoftheroad

Good Video !!

If you have a car with show stopping body lines & style (like the 63 - 65 Riv), most colors will look great, its just a matter of personal choice. Even the rodders & customizers alter alot of things on a first generation Riv but few make big changes to the body of an already fantastic looking car...

<IFRAME style="DISPLAY: none" id=512856285094 height=0 src="about:blank" width=0></IFRAME>Here's a pictue of Silver Arrow I that shows how light and shading can enhance the contours and break lines in the 1st Generation Riviea.

Because Bill Mitchell thought so much of these shaded areas and highlighting, he helped this car just a smidge. It's hard to notice, and for good cause, but Silver Arrow I actually has a two tone silver paint job. The vertical surfaces on the lower body below the break and the side panels on the roof (even the small part above the windows are painted a darker shade of silver than the horizontal surfaces.

If the lighting wasn't optimal, Mitchell still wanted to effect to be noticed.

tn_MB08%20Buick%20Riviera%20Silver%20Arrow%20I%20(3).JPG

<CENTER>

</CENTER>